Best weight division system

Unfortunately those in power believe the American public can’t grasp the concept of the decimal point. That’s why they have not adopted the metric system.

But their military was using it during the Vietnam War. And the scientific communities including medicine also use the metric system.

It’s a real head shaker for sure. Especially the random units of measure.

Growing up with metric measurements, and then relocating to the U.S. was an adjustment for sure. Now I just run it imperial measurements through my head to come up with the metric equivalent.

I’ll never understand why they don’t switch though. 10 of this equals that. Ten of that equals a new that. And ten of those equal ...

12” to a foot. 3 feet to a yard. 5280 feet equal a mile. 1760 yards equal a mile. How that fuck does that make sense compared to a decimal system. Or system of tens ?

Exactly. Kg and cm is so much more simple and logical than lb, square inches, miles and all that other outdated caveman calculation. "2 stones and 4 teeth long!" LMAO, I can imagine it being the system of cavemen.

I often have a beef with the weight divisions in combat sports... In boxing, there are too many divisions, seperated by a number of pounds that no true fighter should worry about. In UFC, it is better, but still far from perfect.

Also, pounds... Only USA, Myanmar and one random African country uses pounds. Why the fuck can't we just go by kilo, like the rest of the world?

This weight system, used by Kunlun for kickboxing matches, is probably the best weight division system I have ever seen:

Flyweight: 50 kg
Lightweight: 55 kg
Super lightweight: 60 kg
Welterweight: 65 kg
Super welterweight: 70 kg
Middleweight: 75 kg
Super middleweight: 80 kg
Cruiserweight: 90 kg
Heavyweight: 100 kg
Super heavyweight: Unlimited

The only thing I have a problem with is the stupid naming system. The numbers are perfect, but the names should be:

Atomweight: 50 kg
Strawweight: 55 kg
Flyweight: 60 kg
Bantamweight: 65 kg
Featherweight: 70 kg
Lightweight: 75 kg
Welterweight: 80 kg
Middleweight: 90 kg
Cruiserweight: 100 kg
Heavyweight: Unlimited

Basically, if Kunlun used the 10 typical division names, instead of repititions with words like "super", it simply couldn't get any better in any way.

Stone must really trigger you then, that’s way to many weight classes.

And boxing has some ignorant increments. 6,8,9,12,13lbs?

Who the fook came up with those??

I'll give a shot:

Men
70kg 154 lbs
80kg 176 lbs
90kg 198 lbs
100kg 220 lbs
+100kg +220 lbs

Women
55kg 121 lbs
60kg 132 lbs
65kg 143 lbs

No one being allowed to cut more than 5kg (11 lbs).

Last edited:
10 lb increments starting at 135 up to 185, 205, 225, unlimited....

Sorry DJ

They need to do that One FC where they check their hydration and put them in weight classes. If you have weight classes people are going to cut to whatever they can survive at regardless of how many there are.

weight classes are fine when will this end

weight classes are fine when will this end
For me it's not that the current weight classes are fu*ked up or something, but I would love see at least cruiserweight opened one day and not another shitty WMMA weight class. I would like to see more title fights, more no 1. contender fights. Simple as that. With that being said this topic is absolutely fine for me. Much better than another Conor thread.

For me it's not that the current weight classes are fu*ked up or something, but I would love see at least cruiserweight opened one day and not another shitty WMMA weight class. I would like to see more title fights, more no 1. contender fights. Simple as that. With that being said this topic is absolutely fine for me. Much better than another Conor thread.
true that. adding a division or 2 makes alot more sense then changing weights around.

for me its just a double edge sword when talking about changing weights.

guys like RDA, Lee, Masvidal, hell alot of guys could benefit from a 165 division. but then there are the woodleys, usmans, wonderboys, who are perfect at 170. i dont know things seem fine.

Too many weight divisions. If you're too small for a division gain muscle. If you're too big. Cut down. Simple. We don't need this lazy ass millennial philosophy of everyone gets a trophy.
Gaining and maintain muscle while staying effective as a fighter is nowhere near as easy as you make it.

Bulking can make you worse in many cases

I often have a beef with the weight divisions in combat sports... In boxing, there are too many divisions, seperated by a number of pounds that no true fighter should worry about. In UFC, it is better, but still far from perfect.

Also, pounds... Only USA, Myanmar and one random African country uses pounds. Why the fuck can't we just go by kilo, like the rest of the world?

This weight system, used by Kunlun for kickboxing matches, is probably the best weight division system I have ever seen:

The only thing I have a problem with is the stupid naming system. The numbers are perfect, but the names should be:

Basically, if Kunlun used the 10 typical division names, instead of repititions with words like "super", it simply couldn't get any better in any way.

10 is too many. I'd prefer 7 at the most.

My ideal is:
125 lbs ( 57 Kg)
140 lbs ( 64 Kg)
155 lbs ( 71 Kg)
175 lbs ( 80 Kg)
200 lbs ( 91 Kg)
230 lbs (105 Kg)
275 lbs (125 Kg)

Gaining and maintain muscle while staying effective as a fighter is nowhere near as easy as you make it.

Bulking can make you worse in many cases
So what? Then lose size. That's sport. This whole notion that we need a 5lb difference to accomodate every bodytype is garbage.

So what? Then lose size. That's sport. This whole notion that we need a 5lb difference to accomodate every bodytype is garbage.
That doesn't solve the problem. You can only lose so much weight naturally and healthily. You'd have less weight classes and worse fights.

Having them in 10lbs intervals is fine.

That doesn't solve the problem. You can only lose so much weight naturally and healthily. You'd have less weight classes and worse fights.

Having them in 10lbs intervals is fine.
And? There are 20lb gaps. Not 100lb gaps. You're telling me no human being can gain 10lb's and fit into a division???

And if, in some alternate reality they can't... Too bad. We don't need divisions to accomodate every body type.

I believe most fans are in favor of something close to the following:
265+

Add in hydration testing to reduce weight cutting and you're good to go. Only issue is that 195 and 225 would be barren and leave 205, 265, and 265+ equally as barren. Hopefully in a decade we have enough fighters for each division to be stacked.

They should have to pass a hydration test before getting on the scale.

Then

135- Fw
150- Lw
170- ww
190- mw
210- lhw
285- hw

With that mindset, you may aswell have multiple belts per division then if more belts = more fights to sell. Just like boxing....

Already pretty much there with Conor / Khabib / Tony all pretty much being champions without fighting eachother
Which is why the UFC are so eager to award interim titles.

Back