Best way to regain S&C after layoff?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Znap, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Znap Yellow Belt

Znap
    Just wondering what people's thoughts are as to the most efficient way to regain strength and conditioning after a 3 month lay off? (cliff notes included)

Backstory:
    Layoff has been 'forced' as I have been traveling the world; the only exercise I have done has been walking, my diet has been atrocious and there have been maybe 3 nights in total over the 3 month duration where I haven't drunk myself into oblivion.

I've lost 10kgs (22lbs) most of which I assume is muscle and penis size.

So would it be quicker to separate my training into say 2 month blocks to concentrate on strength and then fitness or vice versa (and if so any particular order), or would my previously trained state assist in training everything at once (muscle memory - not sure if broscience).

I have a fight booked for early next year so I'd like to at least get back to where I was prior to commencing my 'fight camp'.

Help much appreciated!

Cliff Notes:
    -3 months of treating body like dump
    -Lost all strength and fitness
    -Upcoming fight early next year
    -Better to train in blocks?
    -or better to train concurrently?

2. YetiFeet Guest

YetiFeet
    Since I don't know your previous lifts and where they are at currently I'm going to make two assumptions. One, that you have read (several times) and understand the FAQ (hint). Two, that you are a beginning lifter or you basically are now because of the long layoff and weight loss.

With that said... there is no magical secret to rebuilding yourself.

If you want to get stronger again then do starting strength and eat a shit load. Eating is probably most important since you lost over 20lbs. Did I mention eat?

If you want better conditioning then do some conditioning; if you have a fight coming up then train your balls off.

If you want to do both at the same time then I'd suggest doing the 2 day split in the FAQ; if you're training for another sport (i.e. NOT weightlifting of some kind) then there is no need to lift more than 2x a week using a squat/bench and deadlift/press split.

3. Modern Warrior1 Purple Belt

Modern Warrior1
    I would train concurrently but put a emphasis on one or the other. In percentages it should be about 60/40 or 70/30 and as you get back to previous levels in the higher percentages activity, begin reversing the percentages. This has always worked for me. Just take a known strength program and plug it in. That easy.

4. ssdd Purple Belt

ssdd
    There was a post on Joel Jamieson's website recently about a study that concluded concurrent training produces less than optimal adaptations in muscle hypertrophy and mitochondrial biogenesis. Research Review: Molecular Responses to Strength & Endurance Training – Are They Incompatible?
    But according to Joel the study only looked at hypertrophy, didn't specify which type of hypertrophy, and didn't really address strength or the neural component of strength.

Will you be doing any skills training before the camp?

5. Modern Warrior1 Purple Belt

Modern Warrior1