Best way to lose fat and keep as much muscle as possible?

Axx

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ive been boxing for a long time, did some kickboxing and grappling as well. Train martial arts like 2-3 times a week.
Since 4 months ive been seriously lifting. With martial arts i was in good shape when i was training a lot but never really had teh beach body.
So ive added strength training to my regime 3 times a week since 4 months.

Chest-bicep
Back tricep
Legs shoulders

I just dont want to build a good looking body but strength as well. I usually do 4x6-8 reps and try to lift as heavy as possible with good form.

I just got my fat% checked and its 20%. Im 1.78 and 105 kilos.

What would be the best way for me to stay around 100 kilos, get a fat% around 15-17% AND get stronger?

And yes i can bench teh 275(like 4-5 reps or so)

lift heavy, eat decent amount of protein a day. Get your macros sorted out well.

Also, get with a decent program like in the FAQs, a 3 day bodybuilding type split isn't gonna do much .

Not often you make great PRs and gains while cutting. If you do, thats great, but really at this stage its to maintain what you have.

lift heavy, eat decent amount of protein a day. Get your macros sorted out well.

Also, get with a decent program like in the FAQs, a 3 day bodybuilding type split isn't gonna do much .

Not often you make great PRs and gains while cutting. If you do, thats great, but really at this stage its to maintain what you have.

What program would u recommend?

Thats mostly focussing on strengt though

Imo 4x6-8 is a great mix of mass and strength.

Thats mostly focussing on strengt though

Imo 4x6-8 is a great mix of mass and strength.
You build mass (hypertrophy) depending on your diet, you're not going put on size while cutting. I would even say that the frequency of 1 group per week is too low for hypertrophy

You can hypertrophy with more sets too in a 5 rep program. I for example add a 3 set warm up to my main lifts and 2 sets of front squat when Squaring that gets me to 9 sets of squats per work out. Add in some single leg and hamstring curls and running as accessory. Do that twice per week and it gets pretty heavy to not to hypertrophy.

I can definitely see I gain muscles and lose fat as a newbie lifter. But not sure for how long it will last.

also read the faq of this board for a starting place.

focus on getting stronger, no matter what rep range.
you need sufficient volume and sometimes go to failure but not always.
more recent studies suggest that rep range is not important for hypertrophy but for strength it is.

for cutting while keeping muscle, going low carb with high protein is the gospel.
keeping 100kg bw while being 1,78m, with a sixpack, will not be possible imo.
except you are extremely muscular.

maybe you want to look into more heavy bodybuilding routines if the aesthetic part is more your goal.
max-ot or the fierce-5 from bb.com work with lower repetitions, i think.

but since you are no real beginner anymore, i would suggest you try 531 and watch your diet.
calories and sleep are the most important factors for any progress, i would say.

have fun.

A lot of it is diet.

If you are an OCD type you can calculate your macro requirements and then try to track your food intake. Basically you set a calorie target based on your maintenance level with a sustainable deficit. You calculate your protein requirement based on one of the standard estimates (e.g. 1lb per lb of lean body mass). The protein gives you some calories, and then you plan to eat about 25% of your calories from fat. The remaining calories you eat from carbs. From the calorie targets for carbs and fat you can back out the amount- one gram of fat gives 8 calories and one gram of carbs gives 4 calories. So you then have a target for the number of grams of protein, carbs and fat that you will eat each day which should allow you to lose weight. You can use an app like MyFitnessPal to keep track of what you eat. I described the process very simply- they can explain it over at the Diet subforum.

You can also do 'fad' diets like Atkins, Paleo, IF etc. Personally I am not a fan, and individual response varies, but they seem to work for some people.

A much simpler way is just to manipulate the amount of carbohydrate in your diet. Cut sugar and alcohol first. Then when it comes to your food, try significantly reducing the amount of carbohydrate and making up the difference with protein and salad/vegetables (e.g. take half as much carb). If you like you can cut carbs a bit more on days with no exercise, and a bit less on days with exercise. Stick to it a few weeks- if you don't see results, cut the carbs a bit more.

For strength... do a strength program.

I dont get the 5/3/1 thing, is it like 5 reps in the first set, 3 on the second anda max 1 rep in the third set?

Between the lifting and the boxing it sounds like you should just clean up your diet.

I dont get the 5/3/1 thing, is it like 5 reps in the first set, 3 on the second anda max 1 rep in the third set?
I never liked 5/3/1 the two times I tried it. It just never seemed like enough work, even though that's probably the whole point. Just google it because that's not necessarily it at all. I've had great success with greyskull lp then switching to madcow once I've completely stalled which took a year or so.

What I like about greyskull more than ss is the all out third set and not squatting on deadlift day. I add in rows on press day and chin-ups on bench day and do some accessory stuff depending on the day because my gym partner likes doing that shit

~DaViD~

ive been boxing for a long time, did some kickboxing and grappling as well. Train martial arts like 2-3 times a week.
Since 4 months ive been seriously lifting. With martial arts i was in good shape when i was training a lot but never really had teh beach body.

Chest-bicep
Back tricep
Legs shoulders

I just dont want to build a good looking body but strength as well. I usually do 4x6-8 reps and try to lift as heavy as possible with good form.

What would be the best way for me to stay around 100 kilos, get a fat% around 15-17% AND get stronger?

When you talk about your split, it sounds more like a bodybuilding split than anything else.

Read the damn book and stop expecting people to spoon feed you.

Chest-bicep
Back tricep
Legs shoulders

Eat Mexican Beef.

I never liked 5/3/1 the two times I tried it. It just never seemed like enough work, even though that's probably the whole point. Just google it because that's not necessarily it at all. I've had great success with greyskull lp then switching to madcow once I've completely stalled which took a year or so.

What I like about greyskull more than ss is the all out third set and not squatting on deadlift day. I add in rows on press day and chin-ups on bench day and do some accessory stuff depending on the day because my gym partner likes doing that shit

~DaViD~

I've found 5/3/1 to be greatly improved (in terms of results) when you wrap back around (so 5/3/1/3/5) going up to 1 rep then back down in weight for the wrap of 3/5 reps. I also vary so week 1 is 5/5/5/5/5 (with lower % of max), week 2 is 3/3/3/3/3 (with slightly higher % max) then week 3 is 5/3/1/3/5 with higher % again. Gains are fairly steady and when I plateau I switch up to something like an 8 week program of 2 reps x 7 sets, 1x3 (then next week 2x6, 2x3 until last week is 8 sets x 3 reps per set) all using around 80% max weight. The combo has helped both in strength gains and in keeping my old ass body from falling apart.

In terms of keeping as much muscle mass as possible while cutting, agree with above poster in the this thread, calorie count but up your % of protein in what you consume. Odds are you'll still lose some muscle but a lower % than what you lose in fat. Once you hit your desired body fat range then up calories a bit but keep higher protein levels to build muscle and maintain body fat. And most importantly with higher protein levels be sure to hydrate enough to not stress your body more than necessary.

I never liked 5/3/1 the two times I tried it. It just never seemed like enough work

5/3/1 has changed since it was just three sets of the main exercise with an AMRAP, and assistance. Since the follow-up books it seems like everyone is doing 'Joker Sets', 'First Set Last' and other ways of doing a tonne more volume.

Back