best way to keep gloves and shin guards clean

yer man

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I recently bought a lovely pair of fairtex mma training gloves and shin guards but was wondering if any of you guys have any hints on cleaning them without damaging them
I'm a bit of a sweaty f*cker!

Honestly I just towel em off and leave out to dry. Needless to say, don't leave them in your gym bag - even overnight they can grow some moldy funk.

I've seen people use Febreeze to remove the funk - but my gear doesn't stink to that degree.

I sweat quite a bit also...and all I do is air it out in a well-ventilated area after use...

And if we're sparring and my sweat and my partners' sweat is all over my gloves and shin pads and junk, then I'll wipe it down with a damp towel and air it out...in the case of my shin pads, though, I'll also run those under the faucet in my bathtub (synthetic leather, afterall) just to rinse all the dried up sweat and skin and crap off the inside of the shin pads; then, of course, air out/air-dry...

are you talking about inside of the gloves? if you sweat alot, try using a hair dryer to dry out the inside once a while.

I highly recommend a spray called Nature's Miracle. I originally bought it to clean up my dog's accidents when he was a puppy, but it works great on any organic matter. It's cheap, environmentally friendly, and can be found at any local pet store.

"Consists of billions of natural enzymes that turn organic stains and odor causing materials into a liquid that you simply wipe away. Eliminates stains and odors from pet accidents permanently--even urine odors other products fail to remove--with no perfume cover-up."

Saddle soap, it has been around for years for cleaning saddles. You can find it in any major store that sales shoes. Also, take a pair of old socks and fill them with cedar chips and then place them inside your glove, this will rid the smell. You can buy a 10 pound bag of chips at Wal mart for ten bucks it is used for dog bedding.

+1 on the wood chips in an old sock.

Get the stuff out of your gym bag asap, every time. I have a wire rack in my laundry room, and I put them there to dry as soon as I get home. Letting them air out in the sun once in a while will help keep them fresh too.

Use some sort of leather conditioner, like Lexol, on the outside. This will help keep your sweat that drips off you from being absorbed by the gloves.

One pair of my gloves did get the stink big time. It was hard to hold them near my face. What I did was dry them out really well, and then treat them with the anti-bacterial Febreze. It took a few treatments and some time in the sun airing out, but they are now fine.

Another thing that helps is using clean hand wraps and washing your hands well before you put the gloves on.

I have rogue mma gloves and shin pads, and i usualy just let them air dry etc, but on occasion they have been real stinky-assed, and i've put them in the washing machine on a low heat wash, and apart from very slight fading of the colour (they've faded worse from use) there has been no problem

thanks for the tips
so basically I need to air them a lot then when they start to stink fabreeze
cletus are yo gonna head up to belfast for the ufc

thanks for the tips
so basically I need to air them a lot then when they start to stink fabreeze
cletus are yo gonna head up to belfast for the ufc

No I'll wait till it comes to Dublin next year:icon_chee

Are you going up yourself. Where abouts are you training / based?

from meath but based in the states
how is mma coming on at home is belfast goona sell out ?
I'm guessing your a dub only because I cant see mma being taught in many other areas

I recently bought a lovely pair of fairtex mma training gloves and shin guards but was wondering if any of you guys have any hints on cleaning them without damaging them
I'm a bit of a sweaty f*cker!

Yo Im the same Way I finally got something to take care of MMA glove, boxing glove and shing insteps whatever......go to titleboxing.com and buy this spray called No B.O. or the cedar inserts...they are specifically for glove and fighting equipment hygiene, and not a smell masker but real deoderizer with fresh scent...it works...good luck...oh yeah by the way it cost like 10 bucks..hope this helps

I spray mine down with lysol and air them out. Everyonce in a while I wipe them with baby wipes. Cedar chips are a good idea and so is the Nature's Miracle. I never thought of using that for gear, but it worked great when my dog was a puppy and still working on being house broken.

what about grappling shin pads with the neoprene sleeves? How do you defunkitize those? I've been thinking about throwing them in the washer but I don't wanna mess the leather up.

All my gear is soaked after I train as I sweat like a pig and live in Phoenix. One of the guys at my school got us all using Lysol Disinfecting Wipes and they work great. Each night when I'm done I wipe out my all leather headgear, the fabric inside of my gloves, and the fabric inside of my shinguards with the wipes then leave the gear out to air dry on a shelf. None of my gear stinks anymore.

I use 50% rubbing alchol and 50% water in a hair spray bottle on both my shin guards and gloves. The big thing like everyone says is, air your gear. You may also want to wash your wraps more frequently too.

ay man... all u need to do is buy some odoban in a spray bottle @ walmart or sam's club, it kills 99.9% of germs, it's antimicrobial, and it kills odors. after u practice air them out to dry, then spray the odoban inside, and out, then let that dry. if they still stink, or you want them to smell extra good, do the cedar chips in the sock trick, and stick them in the freezer! 60 percent of the time, it works ALL the time.

Back