Best way to get a construction job ?

So I take it getting a sweet tribal band around the bicep ISN'T mandatory? Guess ya learn something everyday
There are a few things you could do.
Put a confederate flag bumper sticker on your pickup truck.
Listen to lots of Metallica, but only stuff post Black Album.
Buy all of your beer at gas stations.
This is assuming you're white. If you're Mexican, just continue being Mexican. A construction job will fall in your lap.

The easiest way is going through a construction staffing company, you'll get experience and if you're good the company they send you to work for will probably hire you. Also, at least in Massachusetts, construction staffing tends to pay far better than the actual construction company, at least at the laborer level.

Where is Paulie? Gotta have Paulie.

paulie-sopranos5.gif

So I take it getting a sweet tribal band around the bicep ISN'T mandatory? Guess ya learn something everyday
A tattoo is mandatory. It doesn't have to be tribal though. Anything with a lion, tiger, heart & ribbon, or grenade on the neck works.

I've been driving around to some construction sites asking if they are hiring and most of them turn me down pretty fast when I tell them I have no experience. Is there anything I can do to get in ? my main goal is to learn a trade (carpentry, masonry,) but at this rate I will only get hired to do the clean up. I was kind of hoping someone would consider me as an apprentice but it seems almost difficult to find anyone willing to do that. Any advice ?
enter an apprenticeship

/thread

From what I could understand, this is actually pretty good advice. Are you British or something?

Australian, the second job was a life changer and enabled me the start again after losing everything. Where are you from?

Truth is if you can work you'll always have a job. Also people seem to forget each shit to mediocre job is just the path not the destination, until you have that great job you love and are paid well.

Sweep floors, clean toilets, brickies laborer, whatever. They're just in your life to enable you to get a better job. Works like women, when you have one others are interested but when you don't you're walking in a desert looking for water.

What I've achieved from 2010-16 is something I'm relatively happy with, that's how I accomplished it. If he's smart he'll give it a go.

Last edited:
Australian, the second job was a life changer and enabled me the start again after losing everything. Where are you from?

Truth is if you can work you'll always have a job. Also people seem to forget each shit to mediocre job is just the path not the destination, until you have that great job you love and are paid well.

Sweep floors, clean toilets, brickies laborer, whatever. They're just in your life to enable you to get a better job. Works like women, when you have one others are interested but when you don't you're walking in a desert looking for water.

What I've achieved from 2010-16 is something I'm relatively happy with, that's how I accomplished it. If he's smart he'll give it a go.
I'm from California. Some of your phrasing was just not familiar to me, but seemed to have at least a British influence, which is why I asked. I think people generally underestimate the value of work ethic and willingness to work hard. You may not be the most skilled. But you can more than make up for that with a willingness to work extra hard. And once you get into the habit, it isn't hard to keep up.

People, have we learned nothing from BJ Penn? You could have all the talent in the world. But if the other guy is willing to outwork you, you will be in trouble.

Aim higher and get a real job.

You don't want to be painting houses like a pleb when you're 40...

In Australia in the right places you can make 2.5 -3k a week easily as a brickie or labourer. With the time off between jobs to study. The problem is people (me) are lazy, and end up just stuck their forever.

Go and say you're willing to do any work to start and learn as you go. The ease of it depends on your age.

Don't listen to some of these shit people here. There is nothing wrong with construction work in general. Some people hate having to be inside all day, or dress like a monkey and listen to inane breakroom banter everyday.

ive always found chain smoking, being an underweight alcoholic with a way too dark tan, having a moustache, wearing workboots int he summer, wearing white jeans, having a mullet, being white and listening to bad rap music, having bad teeth, dropping out of highschool, driving a beat up civic, using the word "aint" and referring to groups of things as "them thing", and fucking your own sister are a good way to get a head start in that industry.

that's the kind of job that you really don't want to make as a career. it's very tough on the body, and even if the pay is good per hour up-front, you're going to regret the mileage you put to your body, and you may end up paying out of your own pocket for future medical costs.

For me, dropping out of school and using drugs helped... Now I have a hurt back and hurt leg to show for it.

You have to start at the bottom, but only do construction if it's a last resort. There is nothing wrong with hard work, but eventually chronic pain will set in.

pretty sure if you walk by a construction site wearing a really short skirt with lots of leg showing,
maybe a little twerk as well, they will want to hire you for any job you are willing to perform.

@LOST CAUSE This guy gets it, only regret I have is not staying in it when in my early 20s.

If you going to be a beat up alco/druggie you be/do it in any industry. It's better to be busy getting good money while you're looking for a career, how knows you might make it one

I think there are temp/day labor places that specialize in construction type work. You show up really early in the morning and they will put you on a job site. If you have no experience they will have you doing the low skill/low pay work, but that is how you gain experience.

I've been driving around to some construction sites asking if they are hiring and most of them turn me down pretty fast when I tell them I have no experience. Is there anything I can do to get in ? my main goal is to learn a trade (carpentry, masonry,) but at this rate I will only get hired to do the clean up. I was kind of hoping someone would consider me as an apprentice but it seems almost difficult to find anyone willing to do that. Any advice ?

Why would you want to be a laborer in construction? Construction sucks ass, shit pay, and you're going to be working with a bunch of miserable guys and they will likely treat you like their bitch. You will also be too tired to do anything after you finish work. Stupid idea .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back