Best way to develop a hard punch?

GlahHahn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Whats your way of working your arms without the heavybag etc.
I usually do 150 pushups a day and use plyomeric bands tied round my pull up bar and throw punches.
Anyone any better ways to add something diffrent too training.PS i cant carry a sledge hammer or axe about so thats out the window and i live in a flat no garden.
I also do alot of free weights and try and concentrate on the triceps the most.

Hard punching doenst have a WHOLE lot to do with your arms... work on your back, abs, chest and legs. And correct punching technique

spar alot and learn how to actually land a punch while your sparring on balance. There are literally a million dudes who can hit a punching bag really hard, but you have to be able to hit really hard while something is moving, slipping and blocking. The best advice i d give is learn how to punch properly and work on foot work so your in position to punch someone thats moving quickly. learn how to throw hard short punches that don't take alot of time to get to the target that have power.

What ever hand you punch with the hardest, put it in front. If you are right handed convert to soutpaw. Throw short hooks and uppercuts with that lead hand. Some of the most powerful punchers in the sport are converted southpaws. Tyson,Delahoya, and Jeff Lacy come to mind. And dont over do it with the lifting, flexibillity is more important than brute strength. Everything Brandon said too. Body mechanics play the biggest role in punching power.

best thing for punching power?? Pick the right parents and get born with the gift.

I think doing sledgehammers is good. I would also work on form against something like a wall.... with a wall I sometimes throw super slow mo punches, focusing on proper technique, weight shifting etc... and I push off with my fists at the wall in slow mo and stuffs too.

It can work I think.

Other then practising punching hard (from a relaxed base, not trying to power your way through with strength) and sparring and getting the distancing down, I would say rotational strength exercises.

The arms add like 10% (if that) of the power of the punch

GlahHahn said:
Whats your way of working your arms without the heavybag etc.
I usually do 150 pushups a day and use plyomeric bands tied round my pull up bar and throw punches.
Anyone any better ways to add something diffrent too training.PS i cant carry a sledge hammer or axe about so thats out the window and i live in a flat no garden.
I also do alot of free weights and try and concentrate on the triceps the most.
having strong arms isnt the key to punching harder.

IMHO one of the most important things in throwing harder punches is the development of "fast-twitch" muscles. There are a whole lot of ways to develop these: "Clap" pushups, dropping from a standing position to pushup position without bending your knees/hips and not touching yuour chest to the ground.... Developing these twitch muscles will not only develop more punching power, but allow your punches to reach the target faster. And as everyone else has said, none of this matters if your form is messed up.

well i don't have as much experience as a lot of these guys and the amateaurs in here. BUT from my gathering i'd say speed has a lot to do with it. if you have fast snapping punches then you should have a decent amount of power and as someone else said the back generates a lot of punching power. so you can do back exercises. i like to shadow box with hand weights so i can usually keep my hands up longer when i'm not holding them and they also make my punches faster. but as the others said you should practice hitting from slipping and dodging. like evan tanner said about phil baroni, you can have sledgehammers for hands but what good are they if you can't hit anything. as the others said you need to focus on your technique before you can start throwing thos haymaker punches.

good balance, bench press high weights for low reps, high weights for deltoids, abdominal rotational exercise - russian twist

fighters in this thread gave excellent advice

ive been holding 3 or 5lb weights in my hands as i shadowbox, works wonders. i hear people who are vehemently against it, but its helped me noticably. technique > raw power. but raw power + technique > all

My advice is a lot like everybody else's. Lift a lot of weights, chest, back, shoulders, arms and legs. Work on your core with situps and such, and work technique, footwork and speed (not power) on the bag. Remember punching power comes from three things: Technique, Strength and Speed, in that order. Happy training.

P.S. You'll hear from poeple on both sides of the fence on this one, but I don't believe punching with weights or weighted gloves is good. I would stay away from them. To everyone who likes them, keep doin what you're doin, I'm just not a fan.

Braderlei said:
ive been holding 3 or 5lb weights in my hands as i shadowbox, works wonders. i hear people who are vehemently against it, but its helped me noticably. technique > raw power. but raw power + technique > all

It's supposed to mangle your joints and tendons and things pretty gnarly like.

Brandon Couden said:
spar alot and learn how to actually land a punch while your sparring on balance. There are literally a million dudes who can hit a punching bag really hard, but you have to be able to hit really hard while something is moving, slipping and blocking. The best advice i d give is learn how to punch properly and work on foot work so your in position to punch someone thats moving quickly. learn how to throw hard short punches that don't take alot of time to get to the target that have power.

Good post.

I have heard (and it has also been my experience) that it is ok to use hand weights when shadow boxing BUT only throw slow punches. It helps the muscles but doesn't hurt the joints/tendons etc. Hiting the pads is a good way to practise getting your power on target.

tinker_190 said:
It's supposed to mangle your joints and tendons and things pretty gnarly like.

And strengthen muscles that are inappropriate for developing power for strikes.

alliedforces said:
I have heard (and it has also been my experience) that it is ok to use hand weights when shadow boxing BUT only throw slow punches. It helps the muscles but doesn't hurt the joints/tendons etc. Hiting the pads is a good way to practise getting your power on target.

Only helps in strengthening the muscles that hold your hands up.

What ever hand you punch with the hardest, put it in front. If you are right handed convert to soutpaw. Throw short hooks and uppercuts with that lead hand. Some of the most powerful punchers in the sport are converted southpaws. Tyson,Delahoya, and Jeff Lacy come to mind. And dont over do it with the lifting, flexibillity is more important than brute strength. Everything Brandon said too. Body mechanics play the biggest role in punching power.

No.

Jeff Lacey, Oscar De La Hoya, and Mike Tyson were all orthodox fighters, not Southpaws. And they didn't make career switching stances.

And I think people should start specifying what they're asking.

If you're asking how to strengthen your punches, there's a lot of useful advice in here.

If you're asking how to develope 1-punch concussive knockout power, that's not going to happen.

Back