Best Takedown For Self Defense?

Depending on the entry, yeah. Variations from the front will look more like a cow catcher.

The reverse half nelson from the Russian (using the hand overhooking the upper arm to reach through and grab the back of the head after initially breaking the posture) allows you to do a really effective uchi mata.

Much like this, only starting with the Russian:

The only one I've ever used in a street fight that I can remember was a Kosoto gake.

I got a kind of body lock with my left arm going underneath his right and my right arm going round his neck and using the elbow on his upper chest for the tsurite.

I do it with the same kind of motion as a knee tap with my weight going on his right side and my head going over their right shoulder and a big push on my right hand as my left pulls down, if that makes sense.

Oh and I did the hook/reap on my left leg.

It worked well anyway, I didn't really think it just came as a reflex when he started swarming me.

What would the best takedown against a heavier or taller opponent? I'm a fairly short guy so most of the time guys are bigger than me

Taller? Probably attack their legs.

Osoto Gari, Ouchi Gari, and Uchi Mata. Those have always been high-percentage throws for me.

Before there was a double leg, there was Morote Gari.

Osoto Gari, Ouchi Gari, and Uchi Mata. Those have always been high-percentage throws for me.

Before there was a double leg, there was Morote Gari.

this video you show he does the last move very inefficiently he should have his leg placed next to opponent's legs you see him lifting with the spinal erector muscles where he should be using glutes and hams

The reverse half nelson from the Russian (using the hand overhooking the upper arm to reach through and grab the back of the head after initially breaking the posture) allows you to do a really effective uchi mata.

how does this works? push opponent's right hand up? if you perform from the reverse half nelson picture to the right then you're up for a major arm crank...

x675

Last edited:
You have the Russian, apply downward shoulder pressure/leg bump to break the guy's posture, deepen the overhooking arm and grab the back of his head. The arm is still in front of your body, and you are still holding his wrist.

If you're bigger and stronger than the person, you may be able to hold him/her like that for a while (if this is necessary, I advocate using a Thai plum grip to secure the head while keeping the arm trapped across your chest), otherwise it's just a brief control from which to immediately throw uchi mata.

My vote is Tani Otoshi from a duck under or body lock from duck under. It's safe enough that you won't kill someone accidentally on the cement.

My vote is Tani Otoshi from a duck under or body lock from duck under. It's safe enough that you won't kill someone accidentally on the cement.

IF the situation is obviously self-defense then why wouldn't you want to kill them?

Because not all SD situations are life and death, and the law severely punishes people who use disproportionate force

IF the situation is obviously self-defense then why wouldn't you want to kill them?

Seriously?

For one, any normal human being should have serious problems with taking the life of someone who is not definitely trying to kill them or someone else. And there are many legitimate self defense situations where your attacker is obviously not intent on killing you. (Even though you should do whatever necessary to protect yourself.)

Moreover, having killed someone

Seriously?

For one, any normal human being should have serious problems with taking the life of someone who is not definitely trying to kill them or someone else. And there are many legitimate self defense situations where your attacker is obviously not intent on killing you. (Even though you should do whatever necessary to protect yourself.)

Moreover, having killed someone

I like body lock or blast double, despite my signature.

Surprised nobody answered body lock. I frickin' love the body lock against untrained opponents especially. Working between the body lock and high double is my favorite.

Judo throws are tough enough for me to execute in the gi, if I can break somebody's balance and grip them enough to hit a judo throw I'd generally rather just punch them in the face anyways.

This. You also have great control to decide how hard you want to put them down.

It would definitely suck to have to deal with the legal aftermath of killing somebody, but I think people overrate the fatality potential of a takedown. You can kill people, or terribly hurt them, by punching them or choking them. But it's fortunately quite rare to kill people with your bare hands in normal self defense situations, regardless of what you do. Unlike the movies, people don't die so easily when no weapons are involved. I wouldn't let up on a throw or punch out of fear I was going to hurt the guy in a self defense situation unless he was already incapacitated.

the russian tie is a very powerful position indeed you can also make space by posting the right elbow on the neck and something resembling a koshi gurma similar to this russian tie counter what other positions do you find useful?

5ci9RRi.gif

Last edited:
I would consider a person attacking me out of the blue to be an affront to my honor as both a man and a warrior. I would have no problem killing anyone in that situation.

Besides which I would happily see petty criminals hanged. Unprovoked assault certainly qualifies.

What if right after he attacks you he starts shouting

"ITS A PRANK ITS A PRANK DUDE CHILL CAMERAS OVER THERE DUDE!!"

belly-to-belly suplex

that's a dangerous throw for the thrower too I think since you can hit your head on the cement

anyway this position I find useful for southpaw vs orthodox situation the arm wrapping is instant since you only have to travel 30 cm in and the arm post will preserve the position for as long as you need to find an opening plus you can land some knees but you'll loose the position then

d7J1ubr.gif

what do you think?

Last edited:
Back