Best Taekwondo fighter of all time?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Any taekwondo practitioners here or follow the scene?

It sounds like it's either that american guy, who won multiple olympic medals, I forget his name, oh yeah Steven Lopez, just googled him again and that iranian guy called Hadi Saei....

Thoughts?

Pettis?

Because he made it work in teh UFC

Hassan Kassrioui, probably the best TKD kickboxer i've ever seen.

Ignacio "El Misil" Capllonch

Raymond Daniels claims his background is in sport Karate/point sparring, but his signature side-to-back kick is very taekwondo like, even his spinning hook kick oddly enough, i'm guessing he must have done some TKD (possibly his sport karate was just TKD in disguise?).

"Pure" high level Taekwondo practitioners are hard to come by in combat sport tournaments like K-1 or Glory etc. There are guys like Pettis and Henderson in the UFC, but i don't see much TKD from him, not a single Tornado or hook kick.

Yair Rodriguez is your best bet for finding TKD in the UFC. He just loves to throw spin kicks all day long.

You never really see guys like Hassan anymore who can blend their TKD nicely into the stand up scene.

Last edited:
Hassan Kassrioui, probably the best TKD kickboxer i've ever seen.

Ignacio "El Misil" Capllonch

Raymond Daniels claims his background is in sport Karate/point sparring, but his signature side-to-back kick is very taekwondo like, even his spinning hook kick oddly enough, i'm guessing he must have done some TKD (possibly his sport karate was just TKD in disguise?).

"Pure" high level Taekwondo practitioners are hard to come by in combat sport tournaments like K-1 or Glory etc. There are guys like Pettis and Henderson in the UFC, but i don't see much TKD from him, not a single Tornado or hook kick.

Yair Rodriguez is your best bet for finding TKD in the UFC. He just loves to throw spin kicks all day long.

You never really see guys like Hassan anymore who can blend their TKD nicely into the stand up scene.

David Loiseau, Rob McCollough who fought MT before MMA, I believe Robbie Lawler has trained, Bas Rutten, Cro-Cop has competed in K-1, Tyrone Washington who has competed in Thailand, John Wayne Parr is former TKD.

David Loiseau, Rob McCollough who fought MT before MMA, I believe Robbie Lawler has trained, Bas Rutten, Cro-Cop has competed in K-1, Tyrone Washington who has competed in Thailand, John Wayne Parr is former TKD.

True, there are quite a few to list as many fighters seem to have dabbled in TKD at some point.

For guys that have transitioned to other arts, but keeping a TKD style, you have also Serkan Yilmaz:

Hwang Jang Lee
profile_hwang_jang_lee_featured_image.jpg

Ryan Hall is all about dem hook kicks.

For guys that have transitioned to other arts, but keeping a TKD style, you have also Serkan Yilmaz:

Yilmaz has that open hip range on so many of his techniques. So great how he turns his hip over in his left round house. But the Barakat fight at 1:50 of that clip is textbook on how TKD should utilize low kicks.

For overall nods I still think Kassrioui is the best TKD ITF inspired fighter to deal with MT type close combat range. I'd never seen that Capllonch guy who looks great, but I'm so long out of the game.

954980-hwoarang_3.jpg

hwoarang from Tekken 3. When you spam the X button 8 times and it juggles.

Back