Best Sub Wrestling matches

AmericanParadox

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
What are some of your picks for top 3 No Gi / Sub Wrestling matches of all time?

Marcelo Garcia vs. Ricco Rodriguez
Kron Gracie vs. Garry Tonon

maybe Royler Gracie vs. Eddie Bravo at Metamoris is also up there

To be honest, as long as it's between two world class guys im interested in, i like pretty much all of them.

The first 20 mins and the last 5 mins of Cobrinha vs Rafa Mendes at adcc 2009.

All of Marcelo Garcia’s adcc matches.

Garry Tonon vs palhares was a good recent one.

Marcelo vs Kron ADCC 2009

Laimon vs Ryron Grapplers Quest 2004

Roger vs Xande ADCC 2005

Keenan Cornelius vs Vinny Magalhaes was pretty fun.

Im always going to be partial to the first few matches I ever saw:

Serra vs Gomi
Marcelo Garcia vs Diego Sanchez
Ricco vs Nog

Leo Vieira vs Shaolin at ADCC is a really good old school one

Leo Vieira vs Rafa Mendes and Leo Vieira vs Jeff Glover are both very good.

Bill Cooper vs Marcelo Mafra and Bill Cooper vs Garry Tonon are both pretty awesome.

I think the first Felpie Pena vs Gordon Ryan match was solid.

Both matches between Andre Galvao and Braulio Estima are classics

Marcelo Garcia vs Xande Ribeiro and the 1st Marcelo vs Kron Gracie match

Keenan Cornelius vs Romulo Barral and both matches between Keenan Cornelius and Dean Lister

Garry Tonon vs Eddie Cummings match at EBI would be one of the coolest matches if it is indeed real and not a work

Chris Weidman vs Andre Galvao is a good one and so is Ben Henderson vs Leozada Nogueira

I cant believe I forgot about Vieira vs Shaolin! Vieira was one of my main heroes when I first started. I'd bump Laimon/Ryron for that match in my three.

I was also debating about including Shaolin vs Marcelo in my three because it was so pivotal for BJJ.

I cant believe I forgot about Vieira vs Shaolin! Vieira was one of my main heroes when I first started. I'd bump Laimon/Ryron for that match in my three.

I was also debating about including Shaolin vs Marcelo in my three because it was so pivotal for BJJ.
Yep! The marcelo shaolin match was so short though so I understand why it might be left off.

In a weird way it’s an under appreciated match. To me it sort of signaled the beginning of the modern era.

Another under appreciated match with Marcelo is his loss to drysdale. I don’t think drysdale gets enough credit for that. If you check it on YouTube all the comments are about how he only won because he was bigger.

Back