Best Style of Striking to Begin With?

He want to compete in MMA and kickboxing. So you send him to a boxing gym?
Talking about MMA, I think that your striking needs always to be on point. In my experience watching MMA I've seen several MMA fighters that lack about boxing fundamentals, those fundamentals that you learn in a boxing gym, not in an MMA gym where they teach you a little bit of everything.

If he wants to compete in kickboxing, obviously, he needs a kickboxing gym.

Then again, responding to TS title question, boxing is the striking discipline to begin with imo.

Talking about MMA, I think that your striking needs always to be on point. In my experience watching MMA I've seen several MMA fighters that lack about boxing fundamentals, those fundamentals that you learn in a boxing gym, not in an MMA gym where they teach you a little bit of everything.

If he wants to compete in kickboxing, obviously, he needs a kickboxing gym.

Then again, responding to TS title question, boxing is the striking discipline to begin with imo.

Yeah because the human body only got x hours a day you can train. Boxers full up those hours with boxing. MMA fighters need to use the same amount hours on more skills and moves. Its not that complicated.

If TS put competing at both MMA and kickboxing before boxing.. Well then its easy math what he could choose.

I plan on competing in MMA, and I plan on NOT starting with MMA. Why?

Because I've never competed in a combat sport, and losing or getting nervous in MMA means getting punched out with 4oz gloves.

I'm doing ammy boxing first (with headgear) so I can get used to pre-fight nerves and get used to competing without getting too much damage. My gf is doing wrestling first before MMA for the same reason, as she won't get her head bashed in in wrestling if she chokes because it's her first time doing ANY sport.

Yeah because the human body only got x hours a day you can train. Boxers full up those hours with boxing. MMA fighters need to use the same amount hours on more skills and moves. Its not that complicated.

If TS put competing at both MMA and kickboxing before boxing.. Well then its easy math what he could choose.
Again, I responded to that question. Learning boxing in a boxing gym where he can train 2 hours at day would make his striking game stronger.

This will be a horrible simplification but let's say that if you prefer counter-striking, not getting hit and want to fight for years without major head trauma then chose Shotokan or TKD. You should be content with "boring" UD wins tho.

If you "just wanna bang" and be "entertaining" then definitely take MT. Migraines and Parkinson's are a thing tho.

You can go either way if you chose boxing - will need to adjust the stance and work on the kicks somehow anyway tho.
My boxing is shitty, but I feel I am just as good as my peers skill wise in other facets of MMA without nearly as much head trauma. I'm definitely at the point where I need to train boxing now but I'm glad I chose the boring decision route at first... Especially as an amateur

My boxing is shitty, but I feel I am just as good as my peers skill wise in other facets of MMA without nearly as much head trauma. I'm definitely at the point where I need to train boxing now but I'm glad I chose the boring decision route at first... Especially as an amateur
Machida approves your choice. ;)

I plan on competing in MMA, and I plan on NOT starting with MMA. Why?

Because I've never competed in a combat sport, and losing or getting nervous in MMA means getting punched out with 4oz gloves.

I'm doing ammy boxing first (with headgear) so I can get used to pre-fight nerves and get used to competing without getting too much damage. My gf is doing wrestling first before MMA for the same reason, as she won't get her head bashed in in wrestling if she chokes because it's her first time doing ANY sport.
Well, if you're a complete beginner in MMA no sane coach will put you in the cage for sparring right away. A proper MMA gym will have you train striking and grappling (separately) in pairs, then combine the two slowly so you'll be ready for sparring in a few months.

I second this, Karate or TKD will be much more focus on technical development and more importantly footwork that will be much better suited for MMA than MT or Boxing. If your end goal is MMA then obviously boxing and grappling should be a priority as well, but if you are looking to focus on one thing at the moment I would defiantly go with Karate or TKD.
Jeez never thought I'd see TKD suggested in an MMA forum, LOL!

I put in 6 years of it and never regretted it cause it taught me the best explosive footwork out there.

It needs to be crossed with good boxing to develop good hands but the combo is something I never got why MMA'rs never saw the effectiveness of.

TKD+Boxing+Judo=25 years of training and other than the worst NeWaza mistakes in BJJ rules, unstoppable.

Jeez never thought I'd see TKD suggested in an MMA forum, LOL!

I put in 6 years of it and never regretted it cause it taught me the best explosive footwork out there.

It needs to be crossed with good boxing to develop good hands but the combo is something I never got why MMA'rs never saw the effectiveness of.

TKD+Boxing+Judo=25 years of training and other than the worst NeWaza mistakes in BJJ rules, unstoppable.

Man, TKD has to be the most underrated striking art there is. Especially under limited rules fighting. When a stand up battle can turn into a grappling exchange in the blink of an eye is when the footwork in TKD really proves its worth.

Man, TKD has to be the most underrated striking art there is. Especially under limited rules fighting. When a stand up battle can turn into a grappling exchange in the blink of an eye is when the footwork in TKD really proves its worth.
My take is the more limited the rules the more technique is required to score or KO. If there are no rules the larger guy just swarms and beats the other guy down, mass and strength win. Limited rules you have to hone your openings and fine tune movement and technique.

From my experience TKD taught me blistering condition training, endless speed and dexterity drills and the ability to regain my balance in the most awkward positions with tons of momentum in my body...I exploited that ability mercilessly in the ammy Judo tournies I went back to after leaving TKD/Kickboxing.

TKD+good boxing and time to integrate the 2 is top notch!

Back