.Best striking performances inside the octagon.

I agree, Shogun vs. Machida 1. Machida was untouchable back then and Shogun put on one of the most technical performances of his career.

I can't say I'd add Shogun vs Lyoto 1 to that list. Shogun won in most peoples eyes but it was still a competitive fight where Shogun ate shots as well.

I can't say I'd add Shogun vs Lyoto 1 to that list. Shogun won in most peoples eyes but it was still a competitive fight where Shogun ate shots as well.

That's what makes it such a great display. They were both monsters back then. A lot of the picks are fights where one guy was clearly overmatched and outclassed. That fight was two technical strikers at the top of their game.

That's what makes it such a great display. They were both monsters back then. A lot of the picks are fights where one guy was clearly overmatched and outclassed. That fight was two technical strikers at the top of their game.

Yes but when I read "best striking performances" I assumed you meant actually the best, not the most entertaining or technical battle where both struggled and both ate plenty shots.

Outclassed and outmatched match ups not qualifying should be ones where they thought they were outclassed and outmatched before hand not only afterwards.

I basically assumed dominant striking performances by the title, like Shogun vs Liddell, Holly vs Ronda, etc.

Not wars and battles imo

Yes but when I read "best striking performances" I assumed you meant actually the best, not the most entertaining or technical battle where both struggled and both ate plenty shots.

Outclassed and outmatched match ups not qualifying should be ones where they thought they were outclassed and outmatched before hand not only afterwards.

I basically assumed dominant striking performances by the title, like Shogun vs Liddell, Holly vs Ronda, etc.

Not wars and battles imo
Yeah.. not to mention that fight was a great kicking display. both fighters had aweful boxing back then. Shogun has really improved in that area

giphy.gif

LPNybr0.gif
WoW, great video

Not wars and battles imo

Not wars and battles imo

Not me. My opinion of the "best" is where the technical skill on display is of the highest level. It's hard to see that in the Shogun/Liddell fight because Liddell has terrible striking defense and ate shots from the start in route to an early finish. I certainly wouldn't call Shogun/Machida a "war." Shogun's first fight with Henderson would qualify as that but that was not the technical battle that his matchup with Machida was. Shogun figuring out the puzzle that was Machida at that time was a far more technical performance in my eyes than his fight with Liddell but to each his own.

Cody vs Dom
Nate vs MJ
Barboza vs Pettis
Cowboy vs Story

glad someone posted this one for me. Man, Cowboy looked like the best LW striker in the world in that fight. Shame he cant do it in the big fights..
He did great against Lawler. Judges just weren't on his side that day. Maybe he's finally over his issues with big fights.

Not me. My opinion of the "best" is where the technical skill on display is of the highest level. It's hard to see that in the Shogun/Liddell fight because Liddell has terrible striking defense and ate shots from the start in route to an early finish. I certainly wouldn't call Shogun/Machida a "war." Shogun's first fight with Henderson would qualify as that but that was not the technical battle that his matchup with Machida was. Shogun figuring out the puzzle that was Machida at that time was a far more technical performance in my eyes than his fight with Liddell but to each his own.

They both very sloppily chased and swung on each other almost always chin up. There were a lot of technical aspects but if you think this is one of the most technical displays of striking then you need to go to a gym. It was very very far from it.

My point was if you are consistently eating shots than you aren't very technical compared to the actual most technical strikers.

Honestly, when you can throw uppercuts from jab range, that is massively impressive in terms of reach, skill, and timing.
I remember watching this in realtime and thinking......"Glover. GLOVER. Cover UP for God sake". He got mauled.

I like all these but I ain't counting leben and griffin...
I honestly don't think I've ever seen two more zombie like and slow plodding strikers than them

My grandma could've gave them a run for their money in the stand up department and she only had one leg
And one arm
And one eye
And one good hip
And one lung

....but I'll admit she gets around pretty good for an old invalid

Your grandma sounds like a straight OG. I want to see her against gabi garcia. Someone has to defend the pride of grandmas worldwide.

Remember watching Anthony Njokuani vs Andre Winner and saying, “damn, one of the best striking clinics I’ve ever seen”

They both very sloppily chased and swung on each other almost always chin up. There were a lot of technical aspects but if you think this is one of the most technical displays of striking then you need to go to a gym. It was very very far from it.

My point was if you are consistently eating shots than you aren't very technical compared to the actual most technical strikers.

Oh there it is the “go to the gym” comment. Almost universally posted by someone who absolutely has no first hand knowledge. You should probably watch the fight again. It was quite technical for a high level MMA fight. The way Shogun countered Machida’s at the time uncrackable elusive style with body kicks was near masterful.

I’m sure your striking acumen is far better than these two MMA legends, however, just like all anonymous forum posters.

Anderson vs Leben/Forrest/Rich
TJ vs Barao
Cody vs Cruz
Hate him or not, Conor vs Alvarez
Machida vs Rashad

Battle of the Debuts:
- Silva vs. Leben
- McGregor vs. Brimage
- Thompson vs. Stittgen
tumblr_m1f4h5yvkw1qfb7bio1_500.gif

Back