Mousasi
Moicano
Magomedov
Aldo
Holloway
Silva
Demetrious
Cruz

Of course Machida didn't get to fight a lot of guys like Zulu, an ancient Goodridge, 2-weight classes smaller Lindland, etc.
Machida fought 3 weight classes smaller BJ Penn. BJ Penn held his own and actually gave him a good fight.

Machida never fought guys 50-60 pounds heavier than him, and I'm not talking about Zulu.

Is TS idiot or just troll? MC Gregor have something like 50% defense, gets around 250 punches in one fight, and is one of the best defensive striker ever?
Conor fans, I understand many things is wrong with you, but please, stop using your eyes like holes for sex, sorry for my bad English.

Romero and Whittaker both have great defense. They went two five round fights without getting finished by the other. Highly doubtful anyone else in the middleweight division could do that against either guy, That's some high level MMA going on there.

McGregor doesn't have good striking defense at all. He absorbed a record number of blows to the head in his second fight against Nate IIRC.
Also, his Significant Strike Defense according to Fighmetric equals to 57%: http://www.fightmetric.com/fighter-details/f4c49976c75c5ab2
For reference, in the Fightmetric top 10 list of Significant Strike Defense, the #10 guy (Renato Moicano) has 69,9%. Other top FWs: Holloway (65%) and Aldo (67%)

Hence why OP specifically said when Conor is fresh. The vast majority of blows absorbed by Conor in the Diaz fight come after he gassed.

Also Mark Hunt against Stipe is the record for head strikes taken. By like 200 strikes.

I think Woodley doesn't get hit a lot too.. but on the other side maybe i don't remember correctly cause his fights are so long ago

20ti848.jpg

Per Fight Metric.
http://www.fightmetric.com/fighter-stats#striking-defence

What's crazy is, Diaz landed 260 total strikes in his 3-round fight against Cerrone (86.6 strikes/round), and only 252 total strikes in his 5-round fight against McGregor (50.4 strikes/round).
Well there are many reasons for that.

1) Nate only attempted 2 TDs against Cowboy. He attempted 7 against Conor

2) A lot of CvN 2 was in the clinch, especially in those last 3 rounds

3) Conor spent a fair bit of the last 3 rounds disengaging to regain his wind

4) Cowboy was much more passive than Conor was

It's weird but makes sense given how each of the fights played out.

I’d say Anderson Silva and GSP.
Different ways of avoiding damage and countering dangerous opponents, but both very adept.
That’s why they were long term champs.

My issues with guys like DJ, TJ, Cody, and Cruz, is that they actually get tagged a lot, but they get away with it because their opponent is usually a little french fry who doesn’t pack dynamite.

It’s much more impressive when it’s Vitor, Thiago Alves, Carlos Condit, Dan Henderson, BJ, Nick Diaz, or such guys coming after you, and you can overcome them.

Conor has average defense at best. His distance control is excellent, but his defense is not that great against good strikers. Mendes tagged him clean multiple times, any good striker at LW would tag him as well. He might win because his striking is better, but he's pretty hittable.
Nate set a record for strikes on him. They credited him with 166 significant strikes too. Conor also blocked punches with his face vs Mendes although there he just didnt respect mendes power

I dont recall this mutha ever been hit clean...[legit boxing credentials too]

Marco_Ruas_publicity_shot_crop.jpg

MMA fans and commentators often seem to regard striking offense as the only aspect when discussing great strikers, and completely forget about the defensive aspect, which is oftentimes more important, especially in the heavier weight classes where great defense can cause the opponent to gas out without throwing a single punch. Alistair Overeem for example is a guy that is talked about as one of the best MMA strikers ever, when in fact his defense is poor, which is why he has been knocked out more times than can be counted on two hands.

Some names I can think of who have great striking defense (I don't think striking stats are an accurate reflection of effective striking btw):

Not in any particular order:
- Conor McGregor
McGregor has some of the most effective distance management and control in MMA history, if not the very best. This allows him to be incredibly difficult to hit, especially when fresh. However, his striking defense when he gasses suffers a lot, as evidenced by both Diaz fights. He, much like Jon Jones, is phenomenal at utilising his length advantage in fights and also uses this very well in his striking offense.
- Demetrious Johnson
One of the most well-rounded fighters in MMA history, DJ has unmatched speed and movement which allows him to avoid most of his opponent's significant strikes and has been rocked only a handful of times in his career.
- Anthony Johnson
One of the few fighters in MMA history who hasn't been rocked visibly in his entire career. I've rewatched the Vitor fight a few times and I don't think he was rocked, but rather shot a few takedowns because Vitor charged him like a madman and then Rumble quit on the ground as usual. Under Henri Hooft during his LHW run, he had excellent head movement, never dropped his hands, and always tucked his chin; three things that he wasn't all that good at when he fought at 170/185.
- Jon Jones
Jones relies on his length a lot to defend strikes, which is why his usually impenetrable defense was cracked a lot by Gus. Still, Jones is great at using jabs, side kicks, and oblique kicks to keep opponents off him, and even though he has showed an iron chin on the few occasions he has been hit by clean, hard shots, he does not need to rely on his chin very often because his footwork is so great and is better than anyone in MMA history at utilising his physical tools.
- Anderson Silva
His fundamentals weren't textbook, but in his prime his reflexes and head movement were so great that he didn't need to keep his hands up at all to be an effective defensive fighter.
- Cody Garbandt
Yes, he got KOd by TJ, but I think TJ won because he has a better chin than Cody and because his striking offense is more varied and effective. TJ is a better kicker, and is better at cutting angles, feints, and effective in both stances. Despite this, his head movement isn't as good as Cody's and his feet aren't as quick, which means that he can't slide away from punches as quickly as Garbrandt.
Justin Gaethje for the first 2 rounds lol

McGregor doesn't have good striking defense at all. He absorbed a record number of blows to the head in his second fight against Nate IIRC.
Also, his Significant Strike Defense according to Fighmetric equals to 57%: http://www.fightmetric.com/fighter-details/f4c49976c75c5ab2
For reference, in the Fightmetric top 10 list of Significant Strike Defense, the #10 guy (Renato Moicano) has 69,9%. Other top FWs: Holloway (65%) and Aldo (67%)

Perhaps you cant read. He said before he gasses. Which he did in both Nate fights. All you have to do is watch him to see his defense and head movement is incredible when fresh. The guy was slipping and ripping Floyd Mayweather for 4 rounds.

Of course Machida didn't get to fight a lot of guys like Zulu, an ancient Goodridge, 2-weight classes smaller Lindland, etc.

Ever see Machidas comp before Rashad? Lmao

Hence why OP specifically said when Conor is fresh. The vast majority of blows absorbed by Conor in the Diaz fight come after he gassed.

Also Mark Hunt against Stipe is the record for head strikes taken. By like 200 strikes.

Cardio is part of fighting

Machida fought fucking BJ PENN

That's FUCKING INSANE compared to anybody Fedor fought. Even the cans.

Cro Cop. Someone post that gif of him evading Silva’s attacks

Cruz
Cody
And TJ have good defense.

Wonderboy has underrated head movement

Jon Jones and Anderson are probably the best tho.

Back