Best SHMUPS of all time

treelo

//Do something here
@red
Reaction score
So i am looking at getting a few SHMUPS, i used to love some of the old school(maybe not that old school) like 1942 and that, but also enjoyed a few of the newer twin sticks like Geometry wars, is there any for a particular console/pc/emulkator that you would recommend?

I dont want a bullet hell style shooter, and i kind of like the idea that you can upgrade weapons either in level or between levels.

I do have an arcade stick, so no need to worry about struggling to play on a gamepad.

Get a MAME emulator for pc, there is a massive library of arcade shmups out there. With infinite coins even bullet hells are approachable. There are also good PSX/2 shmups that can be emulated as well.

PSX: Dezaemon, Einhander, G Darius, Gradius, Omega Boost, Raycrisis, Raystorm, and R-Type.

PS2: Gradius V, R-Type Final, and Sliphead.

A good one on Steam that has a lot of depth is Dariusburst CS, it's kind of pricey tho better to catch it on sale, but probably the most content rich shmup out there.

Such an underrated game genre these days. Very exciting to play, especially on an arcade stick.

Last edited:
There are so many good ones that my mind cannot really think of much off the top of my head.
Space Megaforce/Super Aleste, Crimzon Clover, Strike Gunner S.T.G., the Raiden, R-Type, and Gradius series', Ikaruga, Jamestown, etc.
Shmups are so damn fun, and quick plays too, you get intense stimulating action that you don't have to commit a lot of time to.

Get a MAME emulator for pc, there is a massive library of arcade shmups out there. With infinite coins even bullet hells are approachable. There are also good PSX/2 shmups that can be emulated as well.

PSX: Dezaemon, Einhander, G Darius, Gradius, Omega Boost, Raycrisis, Raystorm, and R-Type.

A good one on Steam that has a lot of depth is Dariusburst CS, it's kind of pricey tho better to catch it on sale, but probably the most content rich shmup out there.

Such an underrated game genre these days. Very exciting to play, especially on an arcade stick.

Hi, yeah, i already have MAME, i wondering if a few slipped through the net on consoles as well, i will checked out DCS, it is a bit pricey, but it does get rave reviews, i have got it on my wishlist in the hope it drops at some point.

I also noticed DCS is multiplayer as well, which is awesome, as i own both a TE2 and a HORI stick, so i can play with others as well

Thanks guys, i'll check out the available emulated, and get back to you with what i thought, and hopefully we get a few more people in this thread as well

Not a traditional SHMUP but Crimsonland and the spiritual sequel Nation Red are awesome twin stick shooters.

Parodius, Phelios, Spriggan Powered, Maerchen Adventure Cotton, Pop'n Twinbee, Space Megaforce, and Sylphia.

Last edited:

Sega saturn japan had the GOAT shootem ups

Enter the gungeon but it's tough af

Sega saturn japan had the GOAT shootem ups
Ya that system was loaded. A lot of those are arcade ports and can be played with MAME though.

X BOX 360 has great shmups too but can't be emulated and don't even bother buying physical games when it comes to shmups as they are super expensive.

PS3 has some great shmups on PSN that are affordable. Soldner X-2 and Raiden IV are must haves.

Ya that system was loaded. A lot of those are arcade ports and can be played with MAME though.

X BOX 360 has great shmups too but can't be emulated and don't even bother buying physical games when it comes to shmups as they are super expensive.

PS3 has some great shmups on PSN that are affordable. Soldner X-2 and Raiden IV are must haves.

Assault heros was fun on 360.

Gun Smoke was fun for both arcade and NES...

The raiden games were always good...

This more of a beat em up. but there is some shup elements to it.

I really wish there was a PC port of Soldner X2 for PS3. The added visual stimulation with more modern graphics amplifies the experience even more, especially with the intense music in this game. At 4k it would stand out even more, I'll have to give RPSC3 a shot at emulating it.

EDIT: It works!

Last edited:

^ one of the best if not the best Shmups out there and rarest. Retails for about a cool 800$

Its pretty pricy too on the PSN. Quite a few paid dlc's aswell ontop of the main game.

Enter the gungeon but it's tough af

They're all pretty much tough as fuck. SHMUPS don't fuck around.

Anyways, I was always partial to the Gradius series. I remember way back, me and my friend were obsessed with Gradius(I think it was 3) on the SNES. We would always get to the final level, and could never clear it. The kid's dad was a master at it though, and I remember he just walked in randomly one day as we were playing it, and asked to play. He beat the game on like one life and blew our minds.

I still play the occasional one here and there, but the difficulty always inevitably taps me out. I did enjoy that "Sine Mora" game though. That's about the most recent one I've played.

I know Mike from the AVGN channel liked to play a bunch of shoot 'em ups on their side channel, could be good for checking some of these out. Plays a bunch of Japan only releases too.

Ikaruga is my favourite. It'll fuck you till you love it.

Thunderforce IV, or whatever they called it in America.

Easily one of the best of the 16 bit era. Hard as nails but well worth the reward of getting good. It's one of the first games that actively made me want to play on higher difficulty settings because they had more enemies and more action.

Back