Best Sale on Amazon Kindles Ever for Amazon Prime Subscribers (Ends April 3rd)

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Business Insider: Amazon is having its biggest Kindle sale ever for Prime members only

Amazon Link:
https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=6669...e&pf_rd_r=EZNC1YXYE8HBMFSZVS96&pf_rd_i=kindle
pczbtT.jpg

The basic Kindle is the most affordable. The Kindle Paperwhite is the best buy. The Kindle Voyage and Kindle Oasis are two strategies for the most premium experience. The latter is obviously intended to be their finest eReader, but it got beat up by an LA TImes reviewer last year when it launched:
Amazon's $290 e-reader misfire: A hands-on review of the new Kindle Oasis
Michael Hiltzik said:
Screen quality is the number-one complaint about the Oasis on e-reader fan sites such as mobileread and kboards, where disappointment in the new device is palpable. Users are conducting a vigorous debate on both sites about whether the Oasis screen flaws are real or imagined, major or minor, avoidable or inevitable given the technology. But plainly they’re serious enough to prompt many users to return their models. “I'm not really comfortable with letting these faults with the screen slide,” wrote one user on mobileread, “but I absolutely love the weight, the form factor, the asymmetry, and the size…. It's a beautiful rose with some painful thorns.”
I owe @Trollgrappler a huge apology. He was one of the original guys on board this devoted eReader train, and maturation of the technology has paid dividends.

At least I'm on board with where they are now. I wasn't a huge fan of the original Kindle, but the current Voyage has frontlighting & the 4th generation of the eInk display technology that is intended to mimic real paper, so you can read at night. The displays are so much sharper than they used to be. It really is much easier on the eyes, especially with how low it keeps the luminescence using the automatic brightness. You can even enable a mode where you set the brightness manually, then it gradually dims the display over time based on the ambient brightness in order to give your eyes more or less time to adjust.

These device are also incredibly light. You can feel it. Feels lighter than a phone because of the surface area. That's where the Oasis really shines, though. It has a charging cover that extends the battery life. The Oasis can dock and un-dock to this charging cover: docked, it is only slightly heavier than past Kindles; un-docked, it's lighter than the latest iPhone.

Nevertheless, the lifetime free 3G support with the device and Whispernet for browsing the Amazon store might be the best thing about their cellular-capable Kindle devices. It also syncs all your content across all your Amazon-linked devices (ex. your iPhone or Android phone with the Kindle app installed will remember which page you are on for a certain book when you open it because that's where you left off reading on your Kindle). There is limited access to web content; basically limited to content that is text-based (ex. Wikipedia) or that Amazon can sell in some form.

Below are some charts I composed for myself a while ago because there wasn't a comparative resource on the market I found satisfactory. I strongly recommend the Kindle Paperwhite 3G.
Trusted Reviews > Kindle Voyage vs. Kindle Paperwhite

l9Qcdb.png

L5vR7I.png

Meanwhile, here is the Wikipedia page with details on all the various eBook & graphic novel formats that exist out there, and a chart showing all the formats that each device supports:
Click Here to Go to Beginning of Wikipedia Article
Click Here to Go Directly to the Device Chart & Supported Formats

There is one program that is an absolute must for managing eBook libraries. It is essential: the God program for eBooks. It has a steep learning curve, but once you've dialed it in, nothing makes exporting books to the device easier (or seeing/removing what ebooks are already on there):
https://calibre-ebook.com/download
14-minute Tutorial from Calibre Staff

5-minute Quick Setup from random youtuber

10-minute Tutorial from GoodeReader

25-minute Tutorial from "Tech Tools Review"

Last edited:
Mickey, what's the best version if I want to read e-books, pdfs, and browse online? While browsing online is an ancillary concern, I do like the idea of a format that's easy on the eyes with low-illumination, crisp fonts, etc. etc. I'd like to get into more e-ink devices.

So did you cash the check Amazon sent you yet, TS?

Mickey, what's the best version if I want to read e-books, pdfs, and browse online? While browsing online is an ancillary concern, I do like the idea of a format that's easy on the eyes with low-illumination, crisp fonts, etc. etc..
They've fought hard to take away the ability to use Whispernet as a hotspot for your phone, or to somehow root/hack these devices so that you can browse the web indiscriminately.

You want the Kindle Voyage 3G.

The reason it stands out is for the frontlighting with that adaptive sensor. While the displays are designed to reduce strain on the eyes, and they'll pay lip service to that...adaptive frontlighting is what separates the Voyage. Even the Oasis doesn't have it, and that's where those screen complaints come from in the eReader community. This is what the LA Times reviewer talked about although Amazon is reportedly hard at work (when are they not?) fixing the lighting imbalance issue that popped up in the first Oasis units off the manufacturing line.

Still, I can't know where that's at, so this is how I break it down. The Kindle Paperwhite is the best value, but if you're willing to pay more, then it would appear to me users willing to pay more are deciding on two strategies:
  1. Kindle Voyage = best screen
  2. Kindle Oasis = physically lightest to hold & more battery life on-the-go with charging cover
The basic Kindle is a significant step down from all of the above.
So did you cash the check Amazon sent you yet, TS?
I wish. I doubt they'd appreciate me juxtaposing the Kobo Aura One for comparison.

Also, you need to understand: this isn't an exaggeration. This is the biggest sale we've ever seen on these devices. Not even a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale from the past five years matches this. Hell, this year, all we got was $20 off. It sucked.

Last edited:
Teach the Irish to read and they've really run with it.

Atta boy champ

Business Insider: Amazon is having its biggest Kindle sale ever for Prime members only

Amazon Link:
https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=6669...e&pf_rd_r=EZNC1YXYE8HBMFSZVS96&pf_rd_i=kindle
pczbtT.jpg

The basic Kindle is the most affordable. The Kindle Paperwhite is the best buy. The Kindle Voyage and Kindle Oasis are two strategies for the most premium experience. The latter is obviously intended to be their finest eReader, but it got beat up by an LA TImes reviewer last year when it launched:
Amazon's $290 e-reader misfire: A hands-on review of the new Kindle Oasis

I owe @Trollgrappler a huge apology. He was one of the original guys on board this devoted eReader train, and maturation of the technology has paid dividends.

At least I'm on board with where they are now. I wasn't a huge fan of the original Kindle, but the current Voyage has frontlighting & the 4th generation of the eInk display technology that is intended to mimic real paper, so you can read at night. The displays are so much sharper than they used to be. It really is much easier on the eyes, especially with how low it keeps the luminescence using the automatic brightness. You can even enable a mode where you set the brightness manually, then it gradually dims the display over time based on the ambient brightness in order to give your eyes more or less time to adjust.

These device are also incredibly light. You can feel it. Feels lighter than a phone because of the surface area. That's where the Oasis really shines, though. It has a charging cover that extends the battery life. The Oasis can dock and un-dock to this charging cover: docked, it is only slightly heavier than past Kindles; un-docked, it's lighter than the latest iPhone.

Nevertheless, the lifetime free 3G support with the device and Whispernet for browsing the Amazon store might be the best thing about their cellular-capable Kindle devices. It also syncs all your content across all your Amazon-linked devices (ex. your iPhone or Android phone with the Kindle app installed will remember which page you are on for a certain book when you open it because that's where you left off reading on your Kindle). There is limited access to web content; basically limited to content that is text-based (ex. Wikipedia) or that Amazon can sell in some form.

Below are some charts I composed for myself a while ago because there wasn't a comparative resource on the market I found satisfactory. I strongly recommend the Kindle Paperwhite 3G.
Trusted Reviews > Kindle Voyage vs. Kindle Paperwhite

l9Qcdb.png

L5vR7I.png

There is one program that is an absolute must for managing eBook libraries. It is essential: the God program for eBooks. It has a steep learning curve, but once you've dialed it in, nothing makes exporting books to the device easier (or seeing/removing what ebooks are already on there):
14-minute Tutorial from Calibre Staff

5-minute Quick Setup from random youtuber

10-minute Tutorial from GoodeReader

25-minute Tutorial from "Tech Tools Review"

Too much reading required and we haven't even gotten to the point of reading yet.

damnit, I've been wanting a Paperwhite for a while, but I'm tapped out on money this month. Hopefully they'll have another sale this year.

just get the paperwhite, don't go for the budget one

I want to get into Kindles, but I still can't get into reading books on a screen for some reason. Gotta hold the damn book, and read paper.

I know I sound like a grandpa.

Which makes no sense, since I spend half my life on a laptop. Sigh.

Went and grabbed a Paper White. Thanks for the heads up Mick.

I want to get into Kindles, but I still can't get into reading books on a screen for some reason. Gotta hold the damn book, and read paper.

I had this 1st gen Kindle that worked with 3g. Used it forever, but have been using my Surface to read books since the Kindle just feels old now. I miss reading on the Kindle though, much softer on the eyes. Honestly feels easier to read on one after a little while than a book.

Plus I have hundreds of books, and I can just grab whichever I want. Makes moving and such much easier.

answer me this...

do you like the smell of fucking paper, and the sound of the bottom page, scraping clothing (if you have the book leaning on you, reading in bed), as you turn the page, while feeling the pulp of the paper in the corner?

if that excited you, and you answered yes, then don't get a kindle.

actually being serious

do you like the smell of fucking paper, and the sound of the bottom page, scraping clothing (if you have the book leaning on you, reading in bed), as you turn the page, while feeling the pulp of the paper in the corner?

<{jackyeah}>

if that excited you, and you answered yes, then don't get a kindle.

<mma4>

TTT. Figured Doggers who weren't on yesterday will appreciate the head's up to this sale. Looks like they ran out of Oasis units. No more sale, there, so the $50 off the Voyage is the largest remaining discount by total amount.

Oh, I also added a link to the Wikipedia article comparing eBook formats. It has charts showing details of each format, and also a chart showing all the popular eReader devices on the market, and which formats they support.

You know...it occurs to me. Amazon is overdue for an overhaul to the Kindle line. This sale is probably a blowout to precede a fresh announcement. I have seen no rumors anywhere about this, but that's what stuff like this usually signals. Expectations for a new Kindle announcement have been for this Fall, not now, so this is me taking a stab in the dark. So if I'm right, then now would probably a good time to buy Amazon stock if you intend to sell from the short term spike to make a quick buck.

I strongly doubt that anything significant will come with such an announcement (ex. ACeP display technology), because I have literally seen nothing about that being in production in the rumor mill, so don't hesitate to spring on this sale. Only those who are considering a Voyage or Oasis and don't mind paying full price will probably benefit. The Voyage is long overdue for a second generation, and they're probably keen to update the Oasis to put the bad press and rumor mill to bed. I would predict those are most likely to see an update. Maybe they will announce a 4th gen of the Paperwhite, too, since without a screen upgrade, it seems likely that this would be just an upgrade to the guts, so maybe there is a planned doubling of Storage/RAM.

Any new model will also likely have Bluetooth. That could be the one thing worth holding out for. Could be a waterproof Kindle is incoming. That was the trend all last year with flagship phones. I don't think most Kindle users are doing their reading by a pool or in the shower. Doesn't feel like something Bezos would do. There's really just not much of anywhere to go with these devices, but new product versions make money in the tech world, so they get rolled out whether or not they're necessary.

Oh, I also added a link to the Wikipedia article comparing eBook formats. It has charts showing details of each format, and also a chart showing all the popular eReader devices on the market, and which formats they support.
you don't need to know about formats, just that kindle works well with .MOBI and download

to manage/convert anything

there shouldn't even be a "other devices" section, any and every ereader should just be a fucking kindle, da fuq is an out of date nook gonna do?

Thanks for the heads up but there's not enough new to justify upgrading my paperwhite.

you don't need to know about formats, just that kindle works well with .MOBI and download

to manage/convert anything

there shouldn't even be a "other devices" section, any and every ereader should just be a fucking kindle, da fuq is an out of date nook gonna do?
Great job reading all the way to the end, there, Dr. Strange.

Back