Best RTS game?

ikareteru

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I nominate C&C Generals and League of Legends.

Any challengers?

We were just talking about Galactic Battlegrounds and Battle For Middle Earth in the OT nostalgia thread

maxresdefault.jpg

The custom map options in GB were complex and practically dev-level exhaustive in terms of terrain, corpses and unit variety

The Middle Earth RTS was notable for its area physics like knocking an entire team of Warg Riders physically off their horses or sweeping 90 Rohirrim off their feet with a single swing of a golem club

It looked straight up gorgeous to boot

xbox360_lotr2bme_gal_04.jpg

Last edited:
I unlike a lot of people actually really liked Dawn of War 2 but Starcraft 2 is the GOAT.

Starcraft was amazing to me. I'll admit though that LOTR looks pretty amazing.

I nominate C&C Generals and League of Legends.

Any challengers?
I remember people complaining a lot about generals back in the day. Probably that was due to the theme though.

I'd love to say "Age of Empires 2 and it ain't even close" but I didn't play enough other RTS games to do so.

TOTAL WAR but have to go with TW: Warhammer 2 specifically because the game is an absolute joy to play.

Starcraft will probably be the most popular answer, but I hated those games

Warcraft III
AoE 2
C&C Red Alert with all of it's expansions

My favorite less heard of RTS games are Battle Realms and Metal Fatigue. The fact that neither ever got a sequel is a total bummer.

I remember people complaining a lot about generals back in the day. Probably that was due to the theme though.

I'd love to say "Age of Empires 2 and it ain't even close" but I didn't play enough other RTS games to do so.

Age of Empires had some great features for their day like naval warfare, building/wall/fortification upgrades, unique units like horseback archers, javelin throwers etc, plus custom map building scenarios, but I think technologically and visually it eventually got beat out by other RTS

Definitely for the era it was released it was a GOAT though

Rise of Nations, playboy.

Wargame serise

Dawn of war 2

total war

lol@ people saying starcraft is the best.

I loved CoH. Have you (or anyone else) played CoH 2? If so, how is it in comparison, especially the single player campaign (and other single player modes)?

The gameplay is great. The problem is that the dev set everything behind a paywall. If you buy the base game, you can only play custom games, or online with the germans. The game literally has US soldiers on the cover, yet you need to buy a dlc to play as them, the russians, or the french.

Disturbing lack of Total War here.

Big fan of Company of Heroes 2, Men of War is okay but the constant supply of enemies is super annoying.

The gameplay is great. The problem is that the dev set everything behind a paywall. If you buy the base game, you can only play custom games, or online with the germans. The game literally has US soldiers on the cover, yet you need to buy a dlc to play as them, the russians, or the french.

Wow, that's ridiculous. On the positive dude, I imagine the price has dropped significantly by now, making the "extra" stuff a more justifiable purchase

Back