Best pure wrestlers in mma hanging out together

maxresdefault.jpg

It's weird, Khabib is probably the best offensive MMA wrestler/grappler we have ever seen. However, Yoel is the best wrestler to have ever entered MMA, and yet Yoel never really uses his wrestling in any offensive capacity. I just think of how successful Yoel could have been if he adopted a Daniel Cormier type game plan, as he is a much better wrestler yet has not had DC's MMA success.
DC has cardio for weeks. Romero doesn't. Wrestling/grappling takes way more energy than striking imo.

Khabib isnt the best pure wrestler as he has to pressure his opponent to the cage in order to setup a takedown

DC has cardio for weeks. Romero doesn't. Wrestling/grappling takes way more energy than striking imo.
If so, how did Romero win multiple World Cups, a world championship, whoop Cael Sanderson and silver at the Olympic Games? As you point out, wrestling and grappling take way more energy, so how did he unbelievably excel in just grappling, much more than Daniel, and then his cardio did not translate? It could be that his Cuban Amateur wrestling style did not translate as well as Cormier's, that his fast twitch style did not translate as well for the long game, but it still strikes me as bizarre that he never tried just straight grinding and smashing his opponents. and even when he takes his foes down, it is just like a flash point scoring takedown.

Yoel, askern and DC are the best PURE wrestlers. However MMA wrestlers is a different category, that would be jones, and gsp.

If so, how did Romero win multiple World Cups, a world championship, whoop Cael Sanderson and silver at the Olympic Games? As you point out, wrestling and grappling take way more energy, so how did he unbelievably excel in just grappling, much more than Daniel, and then his cardio did not translate? It could be that his Cuban Amateur wrestling style did not translate as well as Cormier's, that his fast twitch style did not translate as well for the long game, but it still strikes me as bizarre that he never tried just straight grinding and smashing his opponents. and even when he takes his foes down, it is just like a flash point scoring takedown.
IDK the answer. I fully expect wrestlers to have cardio.

IDK the answer. I fully expect wrestlers to have cardio.
Exactly. I think he got Hendonitis and neglected his wrestling game for a more fan friendly style of bangin'. To think he dominated Cael Sanderson and got out wrestled by kick boxer Bobby Knuckles is the strangest thing I have ever heard. Wrestling seems like the one tool that you constantly have to sharpen, hence why Cain, DC and Khabib are so good at MMA wrestling, as they perpetually train with top wrestlers.

Exactly. I think he got Hendonitis and neglected his wrestling game for a more fan friendly style of bangin'. To think he dominated Cael Sanderson and got out wrestled by kick boxer Bobby Knuckles is the strangest thing I have ever heard. Wrestling seems like the one tool that you constantly have to sharpen, hence why Cain, DC and Khabib are so good at MMA wrestling, as they perpetually train with top wrestlers.
Very true. Wrestling night not be fan friendly but it's a winning style. Chuck once said that in his early fights he was told that if he TD his opponent he would never get another fight again.

I don't think that's the case with Romero. I think it's just that he's so scary strong he KO's people rather than using what's he's great at.

It's weird, Khabib is probably the best offensive MMA wrestler/grappler we have ever seen. However, Yoel is the best wrestler to have ever entered MMA, and yet Yoel never really uses his wrestling in any offensive capacity. I just think of how successful Yoel could have been if he adopted a Daniel Cormier type game plan, as he is a much better wrestler yet has not had DC's MMA success.

Key difference is that homero was not fighting in a weak/shallow division, a la cormier. Aside from whittaker, he's basically cleaned out the mw division.

Naw, the best wrestlers are Folkstyle guys, in general but especially in MMA. Romero's Freestyle stuff is relatively non existent in MMA. It just doesn't apply itself very well. Neither does Greco. Who knows if Romero would have excelled at the NCAA level. Hendo didn't really, but he did in the Olympics. Very few fighters a LA Cormier are masters at Folkstyle AND Olympic style wrestling practices, but there's no doubt as to which one is superior in a real fight.
Hendo was Greco. Hendo was not close to world class at freestyle.

Key difference is that homero was not fighting in a weak/shallow division, a la cormier. Aside from whittaker, he's basically cleaned out the mw division.
Ehmmmm.....would hardly call ragdolling the HW Grand Prix shallow, especially when one said Homero was getting KTFO'd by Cavalcante.

I also would not say Yoel 'cleaned out' the MW division, when most thought he lost to Jacare and had a some real nail bitters, while DC was ragdolling much better fighters with ease.

i'd love to see Yoel vs DC tho.

Ehmmmm.....would hardly call ragdolling the HW Grand Prix shallow, especially when one said Homero was getting KTFO'd by Cavalcante.

I also would not say Yoel 'cleaned out' the MW division, when most thought he lost to Jacare and had a some real nail bitters, while DC was ragdolling much better fighters with ease.

Much better fighters like who, hendong and cummins? Get the fuck out of here.

Yeah, romero lost vs the juiced to the gills sf lhw champion, then went on an incredible tear beating everyone up until the recent close decision loss vs whittaker, who many consider the best mw on the planet.
The jacare match was close, but it was pretty evenly split on who won, with romero having the most success after he dropped and dominated ronaldo in the first; could have easily been a 10-8, so at best souza would have been looking for a draw by winning the next two rounds 10-9.

And yes, the hw grand prix was shallow; his best win was an old flabby barnett, who has been shit since pride folded.
Dc's own best lhw win was a split decision vs gustafsson, who plenty of people thought won the fight.

Lol cormier better fighters? Hahahahahaha

Steve Jennum would fuck Rumble up. Rumble knew it too, which is why he carefully avoided fighting Jennum.
THANK YOU. After The World's Most Dangerous Man had to leave that tourney, the UFC got The World's Very Close Second Most Dangerous Man. He had the stones to do what Shamrock and Royce couldn't do, and that's win.

Naw, the best wrestlers are Folkstyle guys, in general but especially in MMA. Romero's Freestyle stuff is relatively non existent in MMA. It just doesn't apply itself very well. Neither does Greco. Who knows if Romero would have excelled at the NCAA level. Hendo didn't really, but he did in the Olympics. Very few fighters a LA Cormier are masters at Folkstyle AND Olympic style wrestling practices, but there's no doubt as to which one is superior in a real fight.
Greco is a solid base for MMA. MMA.Yo going to win a lot of clinches.

Back