Best places to train BJJ fulltime.

With 3 weeks of training, moving to train full time to a competition school and training multiple times a day could be a recipe for injury. I would suggest checking out the schools in SoCal to get a sense of intensity to avoid injury.

Focus on privates sounds overkill, I would focus on a school where you could train 2 times a day, maybe 3. AOJ and ATOS would be my choices if I was in a similar position.

The biggest downside I see with San Diego is a lack of places to rent month-to-month near where I'd be training. And that's with paying $3k/mo (which I'm okay doing, if it's near-by.. but $3k/mo + a large commute sucks) :/. I'd much rather pay $1k more, stay in NYC and avoid the hassle of a car and commute.. Sucks because I really liked everything I was reading about Atos.

With all this money available, why not open up your own gym in a small-medium sized town and hire a black belt to run that shit? All the free privates you can handle and probably a lot cheaper than paying 3K a month just to have a roof over your head + buying a metric fuck-ton of privates.

With all this money available, why not open up your own gym in a small-medium sized town and hire a black belt to run that shit? All the free privates you can handle and probably a lot cheaper than paying 3K a month just to have a roof over your head + buying a metric fuck-ton of privates.

i think people are over exaggerate with the cost living in socal. I know plenty of people who are making $30,000/year (or less) and they doing just fine. Of course, these are young guys with no wives/kids, little debt, drive a beater car, and living with roommate(s).

What about Alliance HQ in Atlanta?

There's also Gentry's MMA which is an alliance affiliate in Buford, Ga. The last time I checked they have 11 grappling classes per week.

With 3 weeks of training, moving to train full time to a competition school and training multiple times a day could be a recipe for injury. I would suggest checking out the schools in SoCal to get a sense of intensity to avoid injury.

Focus on privates sounds overkill, I would focus on a school where you could train 2 times a day, maybe 3. AOJ and ATOS would be my choices if I was in a similar position.
Yep there is such thing as overtraining. You can just beat up your body day in and day out like that. You have to let it rest so the overworked muscles rebuild.

I took nearly a two week break because of a vacation trip and then I got sick. When I started to work out again I realized I felt a bit stronger. I was doing more reps, and lifting a bit heavier. The only thing that suffered was the cardio, but I gain that back after a week and a half of training.

wait....is this Dan Bilzerian?

Dan has already fought mma and has a mansion in LA...

I vote Brazil. Thailand you will be disappointed with the quality of training partners compared to the US. Most people go there for muay thai.

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the input, I"ll respond more in a few hours or possibly tomorrow. I've been busy training with Robson (who is awesome, btw), and doing classes at his place in Tampa. Pretty much everything about the gym is perfect, except for the fact that it's in Tampa. The thought of moving here makes me want to kill myself.

I'm planning on going and checking out 50/50 next week for a few days. I've also tried to get in touch with ATOS and AOJ, waiting for responses.

Thanks again for all your input, keep it coming!

Dan has already fought mma and has a mansion in LA...

I vote Brazil. Thailand you will be disappointed with the quality of training partners compared to the US. Most people go there for muay thai.

I trained in thailand, and this is true but probably not as much of an issue with him being a white belt. Visiting Phucket is awesome though, and you can be there for extremely cheap. Phucket top team is the best of the bjj I experienced there.

I trained in thailand, and this is true but probably not as much of an issue with him being a white belt. Visiting Phucket is awesome though, and you can be there for extremely cheap. Phucket top team is the best of the bjj I experienced there.

I stayed in Phuket for 6 months a couple of years ago while doing pool training, and liked it quite a bit. I'm definitely considering Phuket Top Team, they seem to have solid instructors, the only downside if that if it doesn't work out, it's one long ass flight trip back (or to Brazil).

Thanks for your input!

I've been training 20-30 hours/week for the last 3 weeks, and I'm not very sore, slight bit of shoulder stiffness from not tapping early enough on something, but other than that, I seem to be doing fine. 3 weeks is obviously not 6 months, so it'll definitely be interesting to see how it turns out.

I've already gotten in touch with AOJ and ATOS, and I'll probably be checking them out after I check out 50/50.

Why are you so stuck on Privates? And taking so many? Taking 4 Privates a week seems excessive regardless of where you go. Especially if you have only trained 3 weeks thus far.I think you would get just as much, if not more out of doing 1 private a week if you are training as often as you plan to. It will take you weeks just to learn the basics regardless of where you train or how many privates you are taking.I think the Elite can help refine techniques and add techniques, but pretty much anybody can teach white belt basics.

I feel like learning the basics without mistakes is crucial. A lot of gyms seem to focus on a large variety of techniques and moves, without addressing the actual basics (how to move, how to distribute weight etc). While I have no doubt I'd eventually pick up all those things from rolling, it's been more fruitful for me to depend on expert instruction on stuff that pretty much everyone at a higher belt would consider utterly basic. I'm not taking these privates to learn additional moves (I do refine moves within privates), but a lot of it is theory/flowing/moving your body the right way/not depending on a combination of strength/flexibility and improper technique and an uneducated opponent to complete your maneuver.

That's why I feel privates are worth it.

Last edited:
You mentioned Hawaii but you seemed to completely write it off right away.

There's way too many BJJ/MMA gyms/academies to mention in the island of Oahu alone. And they're no Mc Dojos, there's some really good black belt instructors, in fact I don't think you'll find a place with so many great BJJ academies so close together. Plus you'll love the Hawaii sun. :)

If you could either PM me or throw some names that you'd recommend on Kona, that'd be awesome.

Thanks!

I couldn't get world class talent to train with, I couldn't get a world class instructor to move, it makes no sense in the short term. Possibly after a year or so if I'm progressing well and continue to love BJJ I could consider hiring someone to work with me fulltime or something like that. We'll see, that's a ways down the line.

If I were you I would visit southern california, and go check out a bunch of academies in LA such as Romolo Barrals, Cobrinha's, and Dynamix with Henry Akins (where I teach as a brown belt). Then I would visit san diego and go to Atos, and the University of Jiu Jitsu, and also the Art of Jiu Jitsu in Costa Mesa. Personally if I was a new white belt I would find a spot that will teach you solid fundamentals, and not a fancy or tournament specific game. After visiting these spots I would make a decision on a home base, while still getting privates from different places. I'm biased because I live here, but i've trained all over the world. Also, if you consider Hawaii, a relatively unknown gem is Limao's (Luis Heredia) academy Maui Jiu Jitsu. I trained there for 7 months. The training is fantastic, Maui is amazing especially for a diver like yourself. You can get cheap training, privates, etc. They have a bunch of black belts, and are a great group that is very tough, and very helpful. I'm sure a number of them would be willing to give privates for a good rate. You can live there inexpensively, and the only expensive cost would be renting a car, and slightly higher grocery prices. If you end up considering LA or Maui, PM me and I'll send word ahead for you if you train at a place I have friends.

Awesome advice, thanks! I'm definitely planning on visiting both AOJ and ATOS before making a decision, if neither of them are instant hits, I'll check out Hawaii. The idea of moving to Hawaii appeals to me a lot, but, I'll go wherever I'm going to get the most progress and the best training..

The kid has no clue what it takes! He'll go back to free diving real quick!

Also in 6 months I hope he proves me wrong, but in 3 weeks he probably doesn't even know how to tie his Gi Belt or put on his board shorts. Homie come back to us in 6 months with an update!

I haven't been training BJJ long enough to compare the two, but I hardly think holding one's breath, diving hundreds of feet beneath the ocean unassisted and putting up with your lungs filling with blood, and 100+ pounds of pressure across every square inch of your body and staying calm while your body screams for air could be considered any less demanding than BJJ ;).

Thanks for your well wishes nonetheless, and I'll be sure to keep the board updated with my progress once I find a homebase gym.

Back