best no gi pass at brown and black belt level

At a high level one pass is never really the answer. It's about knowing how to chain passes together and keeping the guard player defensive. Also people have different styles of playing guard so you need different styles of passing to answer each opponent. I personally finish a lot of passes from the rodolfo style dope mount, but I use knee cuts, leg drags, torreanos to get there

I don't think there's so many less guard passing options without the gi than with the gi. I think there are less guard options but in terms of passing options I don't think it's nearly as limited. I can find several examples of good passers in no-gi with all of the signature guard passes. leg drags, leg weaves, toreandos, x passes, knee slides, double unders, over unders passes, long steps, high long steps, head and arm half guard passing...in fact I'd say there are arguably extra ways to pass without the gi than you see with it. You don't see nearly as many rolling kimura or rolling front headlock style passes in the gi outside of a few guys. I think the main passes just have to be adjusted. I mentioned the knee slide earlier. If you watch good nogi knee slide passers like Cobrinha, Lucas Lepri, Rafael Lovato Jr, Marcelo Garcia, or even Jeff Glover in his prime, they often combine threatening the neck with chokes or the far arm for arm locks during the pass. Or maybe Keenan Cornelius and Rafa Mendes grip the ankle instead of the pants leg for long steps and toreandos. Murilo Santana may hug the hips instead of gripping the collard for over unders passing. But the passes are there. But the passes are not only there but I think it's more advanced and better than ever. it's just an overlooked part of the no-gi "meta game" right now so I'm not sure people are seeing how good passing without the gi is right now.

i use the knee to lead with but chain other passes from it id love to see leandro lo no gi passing im pretty sure he isnt the bets no gi passer due to no grips who would probably be considered best no gi rafa?

Good question. I think Felipe Pena is the best guard passer without the gi right now. Leandro Lo is great and I think he's got the technique but I have only really seen him pass Claudio Calasans as far as elite no gi competition is concerned.

Other higher ups on the list would be Marcelo and Braulio even though they aren't active right now. Leo Vieira was way ahead of his time back in the day. Right now Galvao, Buchecha, Rodolfo, Lo, Rafa, Cobrinha, Frazatto, Lepri, JT, Davi Ramos, Durinho, Keenan, Lovato Jr, and Yuri, all come to mind. Besides Buchecha and Rodolfo I don't pay much attention to the weight classes above 88k/medium heavy.

thats what I meant with knee cut and variations, it works, may be you are not going to knee cut straight up, but you have many threats avaliable from there.
Cobrinha has always been my favorite no gi passer to watch for getting in deep on the knee cut position and not just finishing the pass but using it to threaten subs and the back while keeping their leg stapled. Bill Cooper was great at this in his prime too and I'm seeing Lepri do it a lot right now. I'm assuming Lepri and Cobrinha train together some so it doesn't surprise me to see Lepri use the knee cut exactly like Cobrinha sometimes.

whats funny is i use to do active posting before i knew it was called that. i use to call it float passing i would keep my weight on them while basing out riding them like a wave surfing. everytime they try to move, they have to carry my weight. you have to have good leg work to make sure you don't get caught up in leg locks 50 50 or single leg x

Without the gi I try not to active post without an underhook for just that reason (leg locks). I'll pop people up from butterfly to get them to active post so I can work to a leg lock, I picked up some good entries at an Eddie Cummings seminar and believe me, active posting with both hands no-gi against a good leg locker is really dangerous.

Without the gi I try not to active post without an underhook for just that reason (leg locks). I'll pop people up from butterfly to get them to active post so I can work to a leg lock, I picked up some good entries at an Eddie Cummings seminar and believe me, active posting with both hands no-gi against a good leg locker is really dangerous.

Incoming Hh!

Incoming Hh!

His entry into inside sankaku/saddle when the guy crosses his legs and active posts with both hands is a thing of beauty. And very simple too, I've been catching guys with it all over the place since that seminar.

His entry into inside sankaku/saddle when the guy crosses his legs and active posts with both hands is a thing of beauty. And very simple too, I've been catching guys with it all over the place since that seminar.
This sounds like a great time for a short video :) #please

This sounds like a great time for a short video :) #please

I'd like Eddie to come back to Denver, so I'm not going to make any vids on what he showed. The DDS guys seem to take that sort of thing pretty seriously.

Conceptually, I have much more success passing high level guards low and heavy, gi or no-gi. My best passing chains revolve around hip switching to the outside- Jacare/Terere long step, leg weave, reverse sit, etc. Those might seem like 'fast' passes, but they can be done with plenty of pressure.
What I've added to my whole passing game from no-gi/MMA is the use of the guillotine grip. It fits well into my best passes, it forces them to flatten and allow me to pass or mount, and the threat of the finish is very real.
Personally, I like to pass left and catch the grip with my left arm. But that's not to say you couldn't do the same thing with any high-percentage grip; the two that come to mind are the kimura and ashi garami/sankaku. If you can isolate the arm, and go into the myriad options from the kimura trap, why worry about securing side control? A backstep into the saddle can be just as tight as any mount.
This concept is not losing position for submission. What you are actually doing is achieving a control position that happens to have high-percentage submission options built in.

i haven't followed the bjj scene since Since 2012 back when I got promoted to brown metamoris 1 was the last thing I saw so now I'm trying to see what's working today at highest level who's the leg lock gods today Davi Ramos was amazing bodycomb had good technique vids but he couldn't ever win big things with it

i haven't followed the bjj scene since Since 2012 back when I got promoted to brown metamoris 1 was the last thing I saw so now I'm trying to see what's working today at highest level who's the leg lock gods today Davi Ramos was amazing bodycomb had good technique vids but he couldn't ever win big things with it
Danaher boys...

In my opinion;

Tozi pass.

Leg weave/folding pass.

rAre hiplock/back leg turk/step through leg drag.

Force half guard to reverse sit or reverse sit to force half guard.

Just attack DWL kim0ra guillotine etc.

Last edited:
Students...
is he really that good of a coach? i thought he was more myth like rickson idk iv never seen vids of him im curious as to how he likes to pass in current day bjj i heard he even was chris weidmans mma coach so he apparently isnt just no gi

is he really that good of a coach? i thought he was more myth like rickson idk iv never seen vids of him im curious as to how he likes to pass in current day bjj i heard he even was chris weidmans mma coach so he apparently isnt just no gi

youve really been out of the loop for a while havent you? gary tonon gordon ryan and eddie cummins are his best students, all leg locks speciallist, have been tearing the no gi sub only circuit a part for a while now.

It seems hes that good, he has put on a leg lock system which is probably the best in the gappling world right now.

youve really been out of the loop for a while havent you? gary tonon gordon ryan and eddie cummins are his best students, all leg locks speciallist, have been tearing the no gi sub only circuit a part for a while now.

It seems hes that good, he has put on a leg lock system which is probably the best in the gappling world right now.
coolwhere can i find some of his methods? any free sources online? yeah when i got my brown 5 years ago i started only doing mma stuff and foicused on wrestling and boxing only now getting back into my bjj i wana work on leg locks more and head and arm chokes

coolwhere can i find some of his methods? any free sources online? yeah when i got my brown 5 years ago i started only doing mma stuff and foicused on wrestling and boxing only now getting back into my bjj i wana work on leg locks more and head and arm chokes

mmm they dont have a dvd set, they put vids sometimes, but they seem to keep some stuff for themselfs. watch EBIs and see them perform.

mmm they dont have a dvd set, they put vids sometimes, but they seem to keep some stuff for themselfs. watch EBIs and see them perform.
beside that wheres a good leg lock instuctional for heel hooks toe holds? ankle locks dont really work at high levels guys just tough it out knee bars are hard to hit as well and in mma i fought a guy who was 40 pounds bigger in a fight i was 200 and he was 240 and he wouldnt tap from a heel hook after he couldnt hardly walk and his knee was black and purple but i wana just snap that bitch clean off if i ever get there again and the ref doesnt wana stop it even when hes screaming

beside that wheres a good leg lock instuctional for heel hooks toe holds? ankle locks dont really work at high levels guys just tough it out knee bars are hard to hit as well and in mma i fought a guy who was 40 pounds bigger in a fight i was 200 and he was 240 and he wouldnt tap from a heel hook after he couldnt hardly walk and his knee was black and purple but i wana just snap that bitch clean off if i ever get there again and the ref doesnt wana stop it even when hes screaming

well, just like with any joint sub, people can tough shit out, even hhs, Dont know where to find them, youtube is your frind your much better grappler than what I am, I am a fresh brown, go to youtube man, cummings has some good instructional, just out of curiosity, did you win the fight? adrenaline can make up for a lot of shit, but one the dude sits his ass down for then next round, he has to feel that knee blown away..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back