best no gi pass at brown and black belt level

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
what pass do you guys find to be the highest % when guys have great fundamentals and hip movement by the time of black brown belt? id say over under or a super slow taking your time double under pass smashing all the way through like leo viera did to jeff glover adcc 2009 idk i just never had much success leg dragging no gi

Over-Under pass all day for me although its easier in gi to control them with it and shut down any counters but I hit it at almost as high a percentage in nogi too

Without the gi I use Demian Maia's game. Lots of picking up the bottom leg, tripoding, looking to shoot an underhook and smash into half and pass from there. Usually straight to mount. I like double and over/under but it's harder to climb up the body without the gi to hold onto.

I've seen X-passes work the most.

Personally, I just use the Tozi pass...seriously.

leo viera did to jeff glover adcc 200

I'll have to go watch that match.

Without the gi I use Demian Maia's game. Lots of picking up the bottom leg, tripoding, looking to shoot an underhook and smash into half and pass from there. Usually straight to mount. I like double and over/under but it's harder to climb up the body without the gi to hold onto.

Man I tell you what BJJ Scouts videos on Demian Maia is probably the best instructional I've seen online ever. Even though it's not an instructional per se but more of a game analysis. Tripoding and active posting has works really well for me. There are definitely several elements that I need a lot of work on. I have a habit of coming up from the tripod and standing up a little too tall and then getting caught with a basic sweep like a sickle sweep or hook sweep.

I still haven't learned to tripod. one day I'll get to drill it.

I'll have to go watch that match.

Man I tell you what BJJ Scouts videos on Demian Maia is probably the best instructional I've seen online ever. Even though it's not an instructional per se but more of a game analysis. Tripoding and active posting has works really well for me. There are definitely several elements that I need a lot of work on. I have a habit of coming up from the tripod and standing up a little too tall and then getting caught with a basic sweep like a sickle sweep or hook sweep.
my mistake it was actually rany yahra in the semi finals he passes jeff eventually after a minute long double under attempt just too much pressure and no space

knee cut or some variation.
knee cuts dont really work at higher levels guys are just to good at playing reverse de la riva and hipping out maybe at bigger weights when guys are less athletic

whats funny is i use to do active posting before i knew it was called that. i use to call it float passing i would keep my weight on them while basing out riding them like a wave surfing. everytime they try to move, they have to carry my weight. you have to have good leg work to make sure you don't get caught up in leg locks 50 50 or single leg x

knee cuts dont really work at higher levels guys are just to good at playing reverse de la riva and hipping out maybe at bigger weights when guys are less athletic

course they do, to be fair, at high level no gi, guard passes are incredible hard to perform.

the chances of passing someones guard whos flexible and is elite are very very very slim. They work just was well as most passes, all passes at elite level are very low %, specially at lower weightclass.

Good luck trying to pass rafas or miyaos guard.

Knee slide passes absolutely work at a high level. They're the main pass of a lot of great passers without the gi at all weights.

i use the knee to lead with but chain other passes from it id love to see leandro lo no gi passing im pretty sure he isnt the bets no gi passer due to no grips who would probably be considered best no gi rafa?

i use the knee to lead with but chain other passes from it id love to see leandro lo no gi passing im pretty sure he isnt the bets no gi passer due to no grips who would probably be considered best no gi rafa?

the knee cut leads to many passes, its always there, people are just too good at recovering, rafa has basically an impassable rdl, you simple cannot pass his guard.

i feel the best passing position is to step over there leg squatting down like your about to do a knee cut. keeping shin pressure, idk if there's a name for it, i just do it. if they extend legs, i go into a x pass. if they half guard or lock legs together to stop my x pass i go into the tt pass. i can always go into knee cut also over under pass. instead of having so many positions to do passes, i find it best to get to a set position to chain passes depending on there reaction is the best approach. hell even if they get half guard i can do a push up into the knee cut position. people nowadays try to have to many moves in there game. you should have no more than 3 moves you try to hit in each position i feel

i feel the best passing position is to step over there leg squatting down like your about to do a knee cut. keeping shin pressure, idk if there's a name for it, i just do it. if they extend legs, i go into a x pass. if they half guard or lock legs together to stop my x pass i go into the tt pass. i can always go into knee cut also over under pass. instead of having so many positions to do passes, i find it best to get to a set position to chain passes depending on there reaction is the best approach. hell even if they get half guard i can do a push up into the knee cut position. people nowadays try to have to many moves in there game. you should have no more than 3 moves you try to hit in each position i feel

lead led in between their legs and work from there? is that what you mean?

lead led in between their legs and work from there? is that what you mean?
basically i call it splitting the middle i put my right shin right in the middle and step off my left leg towards my left side like how marcelo does his x pass i keep my right hand on there stomach and left hand on the side of there knee where i can push it down to knee cut or pull it to the side to tt smash pass

i was watching mendes site he doesnt get very technical with how he does his knee cut yet he uses it alot i like pablo popovitches knee cut details the best he keeps his knee pointed right into there chin so they cant sit up and is alot heavier

basically i call it splitting the middle i put my right shin right in the middle and step off my left leg towards my left side like how marcelo does his x pass i keep my right hand on there stomach and left hand on the side of there knee where i can push it down to knee cut or pull it to the side to tt smash pass

i was watching mendes site he doesnt get very technical with how he does his knee cut yet he uses it alot i like pablo popovitches knee cut details the best he keeps his knee pointed right into there chin so they cant sit up and is alot heavier

thats what I meant with knee cut and variations, it works, may be you are not going to knee cut straight up, but you have many threats avaliable from there.

Last edited:
Back