Best National Anthem

Daverisimo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I thought about posting this in the War Room, but I thought better of it. Sherfronters gonna sherfront, y'know? So anyways, what's the best national anthem? Personally, I have to go with La Marseillaise

I just love the chest beating militarism of it. God Save the Queen says "we will endure because God is on our side". The Star Spangled Banner says "we will endure because we are strong". La Marseillaise says "strong men are coming to slit the throats of your wives and children, and we will not endure unless we march and furrow the fields with their blood". That's what a national anthem should be IMO

Thoughts?

well, this is gonna bring out the patriotic vitriol out in everyone..

I really don't want to comment on another country's national anthem, only my own. and i sing and stand for god save the queen..
but i am firmly on board with changing it to 'land of hope and glory'..it will never happen, but its much more suitable.

whats north korea's like ..?

La Marseillaise is an awesome. God save the Queen is dreadful, England should really use Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem. The old USSR anthem is pretty great, a lot of eastern european ones are:

Biased, but Amhrán na bhFiann is good.

Soldiers are we,
whose lives are pledged to Ireland,
Some have come
from a land beyond the wave,
Sworn to be free,
no more our ancient sireland,
Shall shelter the despot or the slave.
Tonight we man the "bearna baoil",
In Erin's cause, come woe or weal,
’Mid cannon's roar and rifles' peal,
We'll chant a soldier's song.

This. Say what you will about those Ruskies. They've got one hell of an anthem.

On a side note, my country(Canada) probably has the worst one of all. It's like it was written by six year old.

Back