Best Muay Thai gyms in the US?

Just because they suspended them that takes absolutley nothing away from the gym. It is the best in canada and one of the best in North America. Not spoiled by the whole "MMA" Craze and has stuck to its roots. If you want Muay Thai there really is no other gym to go to Esspecially if your living in canada

There are plenty of good gyms in the GTA. From what I hear, Siam's pretty good, but you act as if there are no other alternatives or that any gym which doesn't focus on "pure Muay Thai" is crap.

Blue Dragon in Whitby is going to be a great gym once their guys start competing again (A lot of Ultimate's former stable, Enzo Rojas, Joe Valtellini, Saji Bolo, Jermaine Bennett). Zubair Khan's a great Kru as well, give his gym some time and they'll grow. I think we at Southside/Bloodlust are going to surprise a lot of people; just because Kru Pete and the rest of our staff our young, doesn't make us any less qualified. You're riding on some kind of unjustified high horse.

Ajahn Suchart deserves a lot of credit, Siam is the root of Toronto's Muay Thai community, but it's not the be-all-end-all as you'd make it out to be, ask Jeff Sharp.

I thought the warm up was intense on my first day (mtn view location)! The four rounds of jumping rope after not jumping rope in years (since the neighbor's sister used to double dutch, LOL)...my calves were TIGHT!

LOL...when I heard how much they jump rope I went out and bought one last week. Lets just say it was ugly and it had been awhile.

Oh well I have a couple months to rid the mess that is of me jumping rope.

LOL...when I heard how much they jump rope I went out and bought one last week. Lets just say it was ugly and it had been awhile.

Oh well I have a couple months to rid the mess that is of me jumping rope.

Try jumping rope barefoot like you would when you train. You'll learn QUICK not to lose your timing or suffer the wrath of the rope whipping your toes. I cringe just thinking about it.

There are plenty of good gyms in the GTA. From what I hear, Siam's pretty good, but you act as if there are no other alternatives or that any gym which doesn't focus on "pure Muay Thai" is crap.

Blue Dragon in Whitby is going to be a great gym once their guys start competing again (A lot of Ultimate's former stable, Enzo Rojas, Joe Valtellini, Saji Bolo, Jermaine Bennett). Zubair Khan's a great Kru as well, give his gym some time and they'll grow. I think we at Southside/Bloodlust are going to surprise a lot of people; just because Kru Pete and the rest of our staff our young, doesn't make us any less qualified. You're riding on some kind of unjustified high horse.

Ajahn Suchart deserves a lot of credit, Siam is the root of Toronto's Muay Thai community, but it's not the be-all-end-all as you'd make it out to be, ask Jeff Sharp.

Im not on any high horse. It has the credentials, the gym has produced great fighters and it is the best in canada. Im not saying that every other gym sucks im just proud of that gym.

Im just talking about siam. in my opinion it is THE BEST and in your's its just really good. there is no problem and no need to continue this conversation if you think im on some high horse.

Btw who is jeff sharp?

Fairtex in San Francisco

sorry to go a little off subject but, im gonna move there in a couple of months and plan on trying out muay thai it looks like a lot of fun, but im also a big bjj head so i was wondering if any of you guys knew who taught there or how good thier program is? i checked the webstie it didnt really mention anything about bjj except for the time schedule. i think it would be great to train in both muay thai and bjj, might as well make the best of youth while i can

sorry to go a little off subject but, im gonna move there in a couple of months and plan on trying out muay thai it looks like a lot of fun, but im also a big bjj head so i was wondering if any of you guys knew who taught there or how good thier program is? i checked the webstie it didnt really mention anything about bjj except for the time schedule. i think it would be great to train in both muay thai and bjj, might as well make the best of youth while i can

In SF Fairtex we have Jake Sheilds and Gilbert Melendez that teach our BJJ and MMA classes. In Mountain View Fairtex we have Jimmy Jarquin and Leopoldo Serao for BJJ. Jongsanan and Enn teach at both SF and MV. PM me for classes and prices when you move here.

Make sure when you sign up at fairtex you take the beginners course it is like a private lesson on the basic foot movements punches and kicks. I think they charge like 10 or 20
dollars it is well worth your time! I did not do this as I have had muay thai experience before moving and wish I would have also I think they have a basics class on saturday. I think this would be highly valuable to anybody advanced or not to brush up especially on the foot work part of it.

Make sure when you sign up at fairtex you take the beginners course it is like a private lesson on the basic foot movements punches and kicks. I think they charge like 10 or 20
dollars it is well worth your time! I did not do this as I have had muay thai experience before moving and wish I would have also I think they have a basics class on saturday. I think this would be highly valuable to anybody advanced or not to brush up especially on the foot work part of it.

I have 10 years boxing expierence would you reccomend me taking this beginers class as well?

Im guessing the stance and basics are different...what do you think?

Try jumping rope barefoot like you would when you train. You'll learn QUICK not to lose your timing or suffer the wrath of the rope whipping your toes. I cringe just thinking about it.

great advice. Thanks

I had three years muay thai and they tweeked my foot work some to maximize kicking power. If you have boxed I would absolutely take the beginners class because you will stand more square with an opponent than you do in boxing. It would benefit any one I think. They say the basics is what wins fights and you cant get anymore basic than foot work. The thing about the jump rope is also true jump rope with no shoes on is a task sometimes when you want to be lazy. I hit my toes and cringe!!!:icon_chee I would also like to say the Muay Thai institute in salt lake city is a great gym for muay thai.

I had three years muay thai and they tweeked my foot work some to maximize kicking power. If you have boxed I would absolutely take the beginners class because you will stand more square with an opponent than you do in boxing. It would benefit any one I think. They say the basics is what wins fights and you cant get anymore basic than foot work. The thing about the jump rope is also true jump rope with no shoes on is a task sometimes when you want to be lazy. I hit my toes and cringe!!!:icon_chee I would also like to say the Muay Thai institute in salt lake city is a great gym for muay thai.

Thanks man...I'm pretty sure I'm going to start in October when I move there. Till then its time to improve my fitness and keep boxing.

In SF Fairtex we have Jake Sheilds and Gilbert Melendez that teach our BJJ and MMA classes. In Mountain View Fairtex we have Jimmy Jarquin and Leopoldo Serao for BJJ. Jongsanan and Enn teach at both SF and MV. PM me for classes and prices when you move here.

cool man i will, i wanna to get a place thats close as possible to the gym is there any apartments that are near by? im probably gonna move out there in about 2-3 months i have to wait for my friend to finish up his classes cuz im rooming with him, but were still lookinffor places. if you have any suggestions...

thanks for the info

Nexus Martial Arts in Wareham, MA has a great Muay Thai program as well

cool man i will, i wanna to get a place thats close as possible to the gym is there any apartments that are near by? im probably gonna move out there in about 2-3 months i have to wait for my friend to finish up his classes cuz im rooming with him, but were still lookinffor places. if you have any suggestions...

thanks for the info

Fairtex is in the Financial district I dont think you are going to find a apartment right close to the gym you may have to go a few blocks. If you live in the city and can walk to the gym it would save a bunch of money on parking though.

Fairtex is in the Financial district I dont think you are going to find a apartment right close to the gym you may have to go a few blocks. If you live in the city and can walk to the gym it would save a bunch of money on parking though.

I think it's more SOMA-ish actually, but never really sure where the various lines are drawn for neighborhoods. I have a friend who lives in a condo/apartment complex, you can look out her window down to the SF Fairtex, so places close are available.

I think it's more SOMA-ish actually, but never really sure where the various lines are drawn for neighborhoods. I have a friend who lives in a condo/apartment complex, you can look out her window down to the SF Fairtex, so places close are available.

If you're in San Fran, don't forget Fight & Fitness, run by Bunkerd Fairtex & crew. I train at the Wat in NYC, but I visited San Fran back in November and trained at Fairtex because their class schedule better matched mine, but I stopped by Fight & Fitness to check out their schedule and it looked pretty good. If you've seen Bunkerd fight, you know he's gotta be a good trainer.

Fight & Fitness is about a mile away from Fairtex... couldn't tell you where exactly without a map, but they have a web site.

Im not on any high horse. It has the credentials, the gym has produced great fighters and it is the best in canada. Im not saying that every other gym sucks im just proud of that gym.

Im just talking about siam. in my opinion it is THE BEST and in your's its just really good. there is no problem and no need to continue this conversation if you think im on some high horse.

Btw who is jeff sharp?

I agree with you judoka, i train with tompkins MT kickboxing here in london on and have met and seen the guys at siam and they were all excellent, which is a testament to the good training they do have.

not cheap though my man...

Im lucky cuz I work about 6 blocks away from Fairtex.

I had a thread about fairtex a couple of months ago I think my original opinion stands. I think fight and fitness would be a good gym the schedule at fairtex worked out better for me though. Bunkerd I would think would be a great trainer and it is a smaller gym so I would think you may get more one on one style training.

Back