Best movie where the bad guy wins?

Silence Of The Lambs

Bit of a mixed bag of winners and losers, but I think it qualifies.

Se7en

Probably the best example.

SAW

It was a poor man's Se7en, and the twist doesn't make much sense when you stop and think about it, but damn if it didn't catch everyone off guard in the best way possible.

No Country For Old Men

A bit anti-climatic, but the journey getting there was incredible.

• Gone Girl
  • Alien: Covenant
  • Watchmen?
  • Million Dollar Baby
  • I, Robot?
  • Drive

Silence Of The Lambs

Bit of a mixed bag of winners and losers, but I think it qualifies.

Se7en

Probably the best example.

SAW

It was a poor man's Se7en, and the twist doesn't make much sense when you stop and think about it, but damn if it didn't catch everyone off guard in the best way possible.

No Country For Old Men

A bit anti-climatic, but the journey getting there was incredible.

In NCFOM I was definitely cheering for

Brolin's character. I was bummed when he got killed off there. If that's what you mean by anti-climactic, I agree.

Good call. I was kind of thinking this myself, but I couldn't remember for sure. Didn't it turn out to be that the system was just being played but in the end it was all for the better good anyway and didn't really matter? The two mark characters who were used didn't fit their parts until it was understood that was the reason they were chosen, later on in the movie.

A movie where it felt like the bad guy won, was Frailty. And then you thought about it, and watched it for the umpteenth time, and you finally got it. :)

• Gone Girl
  • Alien: Covenant
  • Watchmen?
  • Million Dollar Baby
  • I, Robot?
  • Drive

The Driver lived in Drive. It was a bit of a cliffhanger end, but I've seen it enough time to conclude that he survived. Basically, it seems like he's dying, sitting in the car with his knife wounds. But it's hours later in the evening, when he finally picks up and drives off. And then he can be seen taking the proper exit off of the freeway. This leads me to believe that he survived and actually the bad guys died.

I didn't mind it either. The found footage at the end was a great addition. In fact The Beginning(2006) was decent; and I believe 2013's 3D version might have been the best of the remakes. But there was something about the grittiness of the originial and the chase scene that still stands out.
To be honest, I thought the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake in 2003 was superior to the original.

You had TCM in 2003 and Dawn of the Dead in 2004--in my opinion two of the greatest remakes. Both very scary and updated very well for the modern era.

Good call. I was kind of thinking this myself, but I couldn't remember for sure. Didn't it turn out to be that the system was just being played but in the end it was all for the better good anyway and didn't really matter? The two mark characters who were used didn't fit their parts until it was understood that was the reason they were chosen, later on in the movie.
The system wasn't being played as much as the system was being partially unshackled, was my take.
"You will not survive here. You are not a wolf and this is a land of wolves now." Gun shots in the distance. End film.

You had TCM in 2003 and Dawn of the Dead in 2004--in my opinion two of the greatest remakes. Both very scary and updated very well for the modern era.

Oh man, I completely agree about Dawn of the Dead 2004. One of the GOAT horrors. Even 13 years later, that first 15 minutes holds up with the best ever for the genre. Other parts were good as well (the fat lady, and the birth, etc.), but yeah, that beginning especially is amazing. To me, those are the kinds of zombies that I'd find terrifying and would pose a very real, quickly advancing threat. Compared to the plodding types in The Walking Dead.

The system wasn't being played as much as the system was being partially unshackled, was my take.
"You will not survive here. You are not a wolf and this is a land of wolves now." Gun shots in the distance. End film.

I need to watch that movie again. Though I've seen it twice, I still don't remember for sure.
Like, for starters, I didn't "buy" Emily Blunt in that role, nor Daniel Kaluuya. But it made more sense because they were chosen for their high morality and that they wouldn't fit. So I suppose the system was being unshackled, but at the same time it was like there was this higher pragmatism given the ongoing war on drugs and the lack of actual person with the right moral flexibility to stick around in the fight. A very, very interesting movie. Blunt's character ended up realizing she was handcuffed by a predermined pragmatism. Something like that. Definitely one of the best of the last 5 years without a doubt.

I need to watch that movie again. Though I've seen it twice, I still don't remember for sure.
Like, for starters, I didn't "buy" Emily Blunt in that role, nor Daniel Kaluuya. But it made more sense because they were chosen for their high morality and that they wouldn't fit. So I suppose the system was being unshackled, but at the same time it was like there was this higher pragmatism given the ongoing war on drugs and the lack of actual person with the right moral flexibility to stick around in the fight. A very, very interesting movie. Blunt's character ended up realizing she was handcuffed by a predermined pragmatism. Something like that. Definitely one of the best of the last 5 years without a doubt.
Blunt's character (imo) represented a victim and the general population as a whole. In particular a rape victim. She gets violated from the beginning to the end and its gets progressively worse to the point of helplessness by the end. I think it was a theme and a social critique made intentionally. It's a great film made by a great director that I will continue to watch for years.

Blunt's character (imo) represented a victim and the general population as a whole. In particular a rape victim. She gets violated from the beginning to the end and its gets progressively worse to the point of helplessness by the end. I think it was a theme and a social critique made intentionally. It's a great film made by a great director that I will continue to watch for years.

I definitely need to see it again with that paragraph. I haven't seen it for a couple of years now, so I can't really refute nor agree with what you said there. Other than it was great.

Can’t remember what the alternate ending was.
Mickey and Mallory's escape is aided by an obsessed "fan" prisoner. He says that he wants to go with them to Mexico and they say no. Dejected by his heroes he shoots them both. Pretty anti-climatically as well. I wanted to see them get theirs in the end but no so randomly by a character we just met.

Can’t remember what the alternate ending was.

Owen (the random prisoner who helped Mickey and Mallory escape during the riots) shoots and kills both of them after they get into an argument.

Oliver Stone explained that if M&M had to die, it only made sense to have someone of their own ilk do the deed (i.e. another psychopath) rather than the police or any of the guards at the prison. The idea is awesome and kinda fits the whole chaotic atmosphere of the rest of the movie, especially as it means all five of the main characters would have been dead by the end of the film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back