Best mail order custom mouthguard for boxing?

sigersin

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey All,

Had good experience getting a custom mouthguard from shockdoctor, but they are no longer offering that service and I lost mine.

I have heard Python is good, any thoughts on Gladiator, Impact Mouthguards, SLI, etc.

I don't have a good dentist, that can do mouthguard correctly, and got a good guard from mail order, any suggestions?

This is for boxing, have my first amateur fight coming up,

Thanks!

Python is legit and good as anything....alot of serious boxers use them.....dont be cheap on protective gear.....Gladiator is very popular among NBA players for whatever reason(probly cuz lebron uses one)....They look huge tho.
The mold is easy to make and mail off with python and service is very quick......the guy Elmer is on point and doesnt fuck around......very knowledgeable.....not all mouthguards are created equal.....I think some pros use impact as well.

Last edited:
Bernard Hopkins, Danny Swift Garcia, Gabe Rosado, Bryant Jennings, Eddie Chambers, are just a few of the boxers I can think of off the top of my head. The High performance mouthguard we make for NBA atheltes is the thinnest most protective mouthguard available. Just because LeBron is our highest profile athlete does not mean we don't have high profile athletes in other sports. I will check with our professionals coordinator to see who else we make guards for in boxing.

I just thought they(gladiators) looked huge on TV......never used one tho. I dont know if they have different models or types. Could just be my perception of TV tho. Breathing as normal as possible is a key for me.
##Edit: Just checked out the Gladiator site and they look good( not huge).....but thats what it looked like when i watch the games.Like i said my perception.##

Last edited:
I just thought they(gladiators) looked huge on TV......never used one tho. I dont know if they have different models or types. Could just be my perception of TV tho.

you might want to check my screen name. We have numerous designs, the one we make for the all of the Cavaliers and LeBron James is markedly thinner than anything our competitors are making and actually more protective than anything that I am aware of currently available in the market for custom mouthguards. This is backed by peer reviewed studies by independent groups, not commissioned by us either.

I am a satisfied Gladiator customer and I recommend them. The guards I have are not thick at all and I can talk in them. However, I use them for bjj and kickboxing not boxing.

Following up my post, I got a mouthguard from Python Guards, and was impressed with both the experience, and the finished product. I had a shockdoctor custom guard before, and countless boil and bites. Python beat all of them hands down.

I had my first amateur boxing match at heavy weight a month ago, I was 220, he was 240, I won on decision, but took some very hard shots straight down the pipe and a nasty overhand right. The guard protected me great, no damage to the face, and most importantly, set my jaw in the right position to take the shots (that's really what it's all about).

Pro's:

1. fits perfectly, sticks to upper teeth and gums and never comes out -
2. because of the fit, can keep on all the time and talk very comfortably -
3. the outside has a softer material (the inner core is very strong), so is comfortable to have in, will keep in for two hours at a time with no discomfort -
4. sets jaw perfectly, very confident when you bite down on it and go to war -
5. have sparred probably 200 rounds with it in, and then amateur match, all at heavy weight, sustained me through it all
6. have done some mma in it (although not my focus), and stays in and protects
7. the kit they send you is easy to use, gel mold that hards, and then they send you the imprint of your jaw as well if you want replacements
8. 2 week turn-around time
9. texted back and forth with elmer, the head guy there, was very accessible and made sure I got exactly what I wanted
10. was $110, very reasonable

Con's:

Have been very happy with experience, and put it through a lot of wear and tear. I am sort of a chewer, have not seen any deterioration, but softer outside material might concern me that I could chew it down, but have not seen that happen to date.

Elmer is the man, all the guys at my gym got the guard after seeing mine, and he does the guards for the guys over at wildcard (freddie roach's place), and his client list is legit, michael bisping, etc.

Again, would highly recommend, and I never write reviews, looked at gladiator, impact, I'm sure they are great guys, but I did my usual fanatical research and happy I got mine from python,

their site is: http://pythonguards.com/

Thank you @sigersin and @magicrat

I wish I could spend more time like other vendors in these forums and thank those who support our brand.

I have had many conversations with many professional athletes who have had product from many different brands from all different weight classes and sports. I am quite aware of different brands and where shortfalls may occur. Our core manufacturing methods are a proprietary method. And yes I actually have a utility patent in a custom mouth guard product. As far as I am concerned, if you are not a customer of ours and choose another vendor, at least you are being protected. Having something is better than experiencing paralysis by over analysis.

As far as vendors claiming to have this or that, nothing is ever original to them or able to be patented unless construction is unique. I own a dental office so making a mouth guard the shape similar to acrylic night guards is nothing new.

IMG_2026.JPG

We handle very unique cases because we can probably manufacture it.

IMG_2027.JPG

For all those who are in search of who to go with here is a general guide sorted by price because it is always the sensitive subject:

$55-85: Low end of the spectrum. Could be a 2 layer mouth guard instead of 3 layers. 2 layers are typically satisfactory for jits, wrestling, basketball, and other lower contact sports. It is identified by visible teeth contours. May not be suitable to place larger graphics due to varying curves. Less layers equates to less time spent hence it will be less expensive. High end of this range could mean a 3 layer mouth guard with no graphics or minimal text. 2 layer mouth guards for boxing, Muay Thai, or MMA is not the best performing guards but for the less serious individuals, it will get by for the lower weight classes or lower contact sports.

$95-$125: Low to mid range of the spectrum. Expect to get a possible 2 layer mouth guard with text or a 3 layer mouth guard plain. On the high end of this range you can expect to get graphics like fangs that are easy to vinyl cut. Most of the design should already be existing designs.

$135 and up:

Anything in this range you should be getting a 3 layer mouth guard. Graphics should be reasonable and any more detail could shoot the price up to $150 on up. 3 color splits or flags should be in this range. The more complex the graphics the higher the price. Higher weight classes and/or presence of certain curvatures of anatomy will affect structural integrity of mouth guards. These type of individuals need to ask more questions to their provider.

Subsidies: Please be aware that big names that vendors throw out may not be as impressive as it sounds. These are attained by negotiations, relationships/connections, fighters seeking sponsored products, and of course paid. Many of these people have so many vendors who provide them with free gear. It is part of business structure and culture. Some of the more attentive athletes will not wear sponsored or not and there are too many to keep track and the casual reader will never really know if the sponsored product is really in use. I know many athletes who have a bag full of other mouth guards from many brands and I know many who swear by our manufacturing process. I also know of athletes who are not quite happy and will never be happy because they are accustomed with feel of last product they had. Each individual is different.

Message to all: As athletes all you can do is try to do your best research with what you are given, the internet, fellow gym members, etc. Make a decision. Having something is better than nothing. Adjustments are fairly doable. Most products are made from very forgiving materials regardless of which vendor you choose. Make phone calls to the company and find out how the customer service is. Look at their recent work for craftsmanship. Turnover of staff for the larger companies, lower activity of customers, etc, will be key indications whether quality of production has slipped.

I hope that this guide is useful for the community.

Last edited:
Thank you @sigersin and @magicrat

I wish I could spend more time like other vendors in these forums and thank those who support our brand.

I have had many conversations with many professional athletes who have had product from many different brands from all different weight classes and sports. I am quite aware of different brands and where shortfalls may occur. Our core manufacturing methods are a proprietary method. And yes I actually have a utility patent in a custom mouth guard product. As far as I am concerned, if you are not a customer of ours and choose another vendor, at least you are being protected. Having something is better than experiencing paralysis by over analysis.

As far as vendors claiming to have this or that, nothing is ever original to them or able to be patented unless construction is unique. I own a dental office so making a mouth guard the shape similar to acrylic night guards .
Do you actually utilize your patent in guards you sell ? If so what is the patent number ? As far as I know Gladiator is the only company currently holding a utility patent on custom mouthguard design that is actually used in a commercially available guard.

Last edited:
Utility patents are different than design patents. Custom mouth guard design which is the look of a mouth guard is by no means a utility patent. My partner and I have design patents on our custom boil and bites which is the the shape of the guard itself (separate boil and bite company). Design patents get through the patent office much easier.

Utility patent that has gotten approved is partially used in our manufacturing process for the custom mouth guard manufacturing on products we do sell and not just design. Full patented technique we have used on select individuals. It is time intensive, and to be honest our business model is different than that of Gladiator Guards.

I have a civil engineering degree and my wife is a dentist. I spent 10+ years as an IT Manager in computers. We have owned our dental office for 10 years.

degree1.jpg

BTW, what is the purpose of you asking for the patent as if it is appropriate for company sensitive stuff to be put on a forum and not off the boards? I come from a background where I have to deal with execs from the likes of Merrill Lynch and Hartford. I am not a normal lab technician / business owner. How would you like for me to really answer your post and will my answer be reciprocated without having me to ask? Email me at [email protected] and if the owner of your company wants to talk to me personally, google me to find my number. I am more than happy to respectfully talk shop. Proper protocols must be followed if you really want to pursue this line of questioning.

Last edited:
There was no disrespect intended. It was a fair and honest question. Your patents listed with the patent office are not listed on your web page as a product option. There was no need to get upset, a patent is in the public realm and are as you know published. Was just interested if you had actually put it into production, as your website makes no claims about selling a mouthguard with a patented process. So my take on your answer is that, in fact none of the guards on your site fall under any of your utility patent. Correct?

My response is very specific and by no means am I upset. There are no "all caps" response or "exclamation marks". I apologize if it came across as such. We are in business without relying on discussing patents and there is a time and a place for it. Disclosing only serves the individual/company asking for it. I also have never seen patent serials disclosed on the company you represent yet it is used as marketing.

IMG_2031.JPG

For the purpose of your request the above is all that is relevant.

I use to have respect for patents but became disenchanted by usage of marketing inferior products to dental offices. I know first hand how patents can be misused and also how it protects owner of such.

All I care about is providing product that is above normal dental standard. I am in full belief that this can be achieved with time tested normal manufacturing that previous claims exists which are non-patentable.

So any lab technician who pays attention to the castwork, able to interpret and modify imperfections, spends more time with curvatures inside and out for comfort, able to control retention for fit, able to satisfy graphics for aesthetic, and other intangibles are above standard.

Having a utility patent means less to me than my professional clients giving me positive feedback with my service/product.

I am more than happy to talk off forum to have a respectful and professional conversation.

Last edited:
I have already read all of your patents that I could find, I believe it is all of them. Was just wondering if you had actually put the methodology into to production.. Did not think you were upset nor was that my purpose in posting mostly was curious, that's all.

I am sure you will hear from someone from this company in the near future. I have forwarded this thread to others in the company. They will be curious as well, and about some of the guards you have pictured.

No worries. I figured you would find them anyway because anyone that intent in asking for it, can find it. My methodology on part of the patent is in use. Full execution is not practical in terms of actually selling to the public. I do not believe in charging above a certain price range.

During the course of obtaining the utility patent, I learned a great deal on what the patent office would allow or not, what is reasonable to disclose and what needs to be kept internally, etc.

As far as how I manufacture, it is traditional and also unorthodox methods. I have adjusted according to the feedback I have gotten on a personal level at reknowned gyms in Southern California and also based on my core degree in civil engineering.

The dental anatomy varies so much and each technician has their style to shape the mouth guards. The same principles of how we have been operating in our dental office manufacturing nightguards have been applied. Manufacture according to the sport, the individual, any special dental circumstances, and to meet the Academy for Sport Dentistry requirements of a properly fitted mouthguard.

I have mine from opro, would recommend their more expensive custom mail ones for anyone reading this who is UK based. I've not used any of the others mentioned who all sound super legit though.

I recently used the bridge dental lab in the UK

cheaper than orpro and im very pleased with the mouthguard, fits very snug and is an amazing difference between the boil and bite i previously used

Opro has been around awhile. They do a lot of business over there. I get a few overseas orders and I still would recommend finding a closer vendor to avoid shipping cost. I do not believe there is a significant enough difference to warrant paying extra for shipping unless the vendor you are going with cannot get it right for you.

Back