Best Kickboxing/Muay Thai gyms in the Netherlands

Mavadorov

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Thinking of going on a 3 month trip to the Netherlands with a few friends.

Any good kickboxing gyms I should check out? Or even MMA gyms.

Share your opinions sherdawg. Or even stories/experiences/training in the Netherlands.

& Aside from Thailand & the Netherlands, what other countries can you go to to train with elite kickboxers?

You will get a 1000 replies with Vos, Chakuriki, Mike's gym and Meijiro, but in my opinion there are a lot of gym's where you can get better education then at those gyms. (That being said, they are great gyms with great teachers, but just want to let you know there are more gyms then just those 4)

For a bit Thai orientaded gym (Where they focus a lot on clinching and technical trainings) you should visit:
Carbin (amsterdam)
Mousid (Amsterdam) www.mousidgym.nl
ElOtmani (Amsterdam) www.sportmani.com/el-otmani-gym/

If you want to go to a traditional dutch style gym ( Mainly focused on the high paced dutch style kickboxing)
Gym Haarlem (Haarlem) www.gymhaarlem.nl (Ibrahim El Bouni, Kevin Hessling, Lorena Klijn)
FPA (Amersfoort) www.fight-poweracademy.nl (Ertugal Bayrak)
MFF (Hoofddorp) www.manhoeffightandfitness.com (Melvin Manhoef)
Team Souwer (Den Bosch) www.souwersports.nl (Andy Souwer, Henri van Opstal)
Fightclub 070 ( Den haag) www.fightclub070.nl (Ibrahim and Hafid el Boustati)
Seconds Out ( Almere) www.secondsout.nl
Days Gym (Almere) www.daysgym.nl
Ropies Gym (Almere) www.ropiegym.nl (Errol Koning)
Balans (Tilburg) www.sportschoolbalans.nl (Tayfun Ozkan, Robbie Hageman)
Gunyar (Eindhoven) www.allfitgym.nl
Fidan (Eindhoven)
Royers (Arnhem) www.kickboxingarnhem.nl
Bullys gym (Arnhem) www.bullysgym.nl (Hichem el Gaoui)
Superpro (Zevenbergen) www.superprosportcenter.com (Albert Kraus, Alviar Lima, Rico Verhoeven)

All these gyms are in different parts of Holland so whatever is close by for you,
Im one of the Trainers of GymHaarlem and i know on my own experience that any of the above gyms have good trainers/fighters and will be friendly towards a tourist wanting to experience dutch Kickboxing. (Except during Sparring)

(Edit, i forgot Hemmers, also a great Gym. Probably forgot more gyms but hell, this should help you out a bit)

You will get a 1000 replies with Vos, Chakuriki, Mike's gym and Meijiro, but in my opinion there are a lot of gym's where you can get better education then at those gyms. (That being said, they are great gyms with great teachers, but just want to let you know there are more gyms then just those 4)

For a bit Thai orientaded gym (Where they focus a lot on clinching and technical trainings) you should visit:
Carbin (amsterdam)

If you want to go to a traditional dutch style gym ( Mainly focused on the high paced dutch style kickboxing)
Gym Haarlem (Haarlem) www.gymhaarlem.nl (Ibrahim El Bouni, Kevin Hessling, Lorena Klijn)
Fidan (Eindhoven)
Superpro (Zevenbergen) www.superprosportcenter.com (Albert Kraus, Alviar Lima, Rico Verhoeven)

All these gyms are in different parts of Holland so whatever is close by for you,
Im one of the Trainers of GymHaarlem and i know on my own experience that any of the above gyms have good trainers/fighters and will be friendly towards a tourist wanting to experience dutch Kickboxing. (Except during Sparring)

(Edit, i forgot Hemmers, also a great Gym. Probably forgot more gyms but hell, this should help you out a bit)

that's a nice list of gyms and you haven't even covered gyms from rotterdam. But most tourists tend to spend their time in amsterdam

that's a nice list of gyms and you haven't even covered gyms from rotterdam. But most tourists tend to spend their time in amsterdam

In Rotterdam i would recommend Team Furious of Ismael Londt.
Oosterbaan is also a great name, but on a personal level i dont have any experience with them.
But Superpro (Zevenbergen) is also not to far from Rotterdam and it's a good opportunity to train with Glory's heavyweight Champion Rico Verhoeven. (Altough he is currently a lot in the United States)

quite a while ago there was this gym from chris tulis, Matuari, what happened to it? I already quit fighting/training and I never saw them at events anymore, they had a nice blend of fighters as well. do you know if tulis still teaches?

quite a while ago there was this gym from chris tulis, Matuari, what happened to it? I already quit fighting/training and I never saw them at events anymore, they had a nice blend of fighters as well. do you know if tulis still teaches?

Yes, Christiaan Tulis is still the head coach there.
Good teacher for the real Muaythai style.
I dont see them at many events, so i dont know about his group of fighters, but he is still active.

Don't mention thai. These are also kyokushin kickboxing gyms.

Except for elbows, they focus on the thai style kickboxing.
Clinching and knees are their speciality.

Carbin (amsterdam)

Fidan (Eindhoven)

thanks for the list

Your welcome. Let me know which gyms you visited and how you expierianced it

Going to give this thread a bump.

One question. Is it a problem if you want to train there and you don't speak dutch?

no

all dutch speak english fairly well.

How are Siam gym, Fight Club Den Bosch and fighting talents.

Yeah of course i know the dutch have really good english.
I mean for example, if there is only one english guy in the room training and theyre giving instructions to the class in dutch, or is this situation pretty regular where they accommodate that type of class?

Just wanted to hear someones experience with this. Thanks a lot!

Usually they will teach in Dutch, but it's not hard to understand.

Directe = straight
Hoek (pronounced the same way as in English) = hook
Opstoot (often also called uppercut) = uppercut
Leverstoot = Liver shot
Low kick
Hoge trap = high kick
Knie = knee
Elleboog = elbow

And the teacher will show the combo before, so it's easy to join a group and start training.

When I'm teaching and a foreigner is joining I usually explain the combo to the class in Dutch. Afterwards when everyone starts I walk to the foreigner and ask if he understands and I explain some more in English. Usually your training partner will also explain it to you in English.

Cool, Thanks for the response Boran!

I am getting a work visa for the Netherlands so I was hoping I could train while I'm there as well.

I will have to make sure I am set and committed to the town and gym Im at then. That must be annoying to have to make an extra effort for a guy if he cant be bothered to train consistently.

Resurrecting a dead thread here, but I might be moving to Groningen in the next year or two. Are there any good mma/kickboxing/BJJ gyms there?

Back