Best Judo Schools in the DMV Area?

Radar*

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Does anyone know any good gyms in the D.C./Maryland Area for Judo that could aid me in competing at high level eventually? I'm still very young and would like to reach that level someday. (On a sidenote, Is it possible for me to catch up at 19 to those who have been training since a young age?)

Maurice Allan from Sport Judo is a place to look. Sensei Allen is all beat up and doesn't move like he use to, but his instruction and attention to detail has always been cool in the seminars he teaches in the eastern US region. His Judo is backed by Olympic level wrestling in his past so his athleticism is unquestioned in his younger years...

Take a couple of hrs some time and look up your specific area, I was up in the Boston area and only remember him and some of his students from that north east circuit...

Maurice Allen and Sport Judo are at Yamasaki Academy in Springfield, VA. Kayla Harrison (2x Olympic gold medalist) just did a seminar there. The judo classes are packed. Allen is getting quite old but still teaches. And he's regularly assisted by a large number of black belts.

Back