Best Jiu Jitsu Gym in Orange County? Instruction and tough competition...

Also, for your area, I would suggest Lightning MMA. Pretty new gym, but they teach a very well rounded grappling style. They also do a good amount of cardio and MMA training.

^ Yeah but they just lost their best purple belt Sean when he moved up to SF to train with Ralph full time.

That kid is a stud.

Though Sean will be spending most of his time with Ralph, he will be coming back home often to train at Ralph Gracie too. We still have a World Champion purple belt, Beniel Daruish and several others. Lots of tough competitors and great instruction. Also have a Chino Hills location with a great black belt instructor over there too. We also ofter Muay Thai classes, which are included with the jiu-jitsu. No extra charge.

Nam Phan's place in Garden Grove is awesome. You get your muay thai and MMA class with no extra charge. He is signed with Sengoku.

It seems like there are Gracie Barra's everywhere, any team Alliance's training in Orange County Cali?

honestly, is there a gym with more world champions in the oc than irvine barra?

i thought murlio bustamante and BTT were at no limits now? i remember that being a big thing after team oyama left. like... "wait dont leave no limits, we got BTT!"

I live in Mission Viejo and train at Lotus Club in Irvine. Check out teamoyamamma.com for more information. Givanildo Santana is the BJJ coach.

That would be good to consider imo, since you're looking for good bjj training, and are an MMA fighter. Giva Santana is a beast at bjj, and the school trains a number of MMA fighters.

Is Team Oyama bigtime? I did a little search on them, looks like the have some decent fighters. It looks like its a muay thai based fight team first? Can anyone breakdown there Jiu Jitsu teacher?

Is Team Oyama bigtime? I did a little search on them, looks like the have some decent fighters. It looks like its a muay thai based fight team first? Can anyone breakdown there Jiu Jitsu teacher?

Giva Santana is a high level black belt and pan am champ. I think he's beaten Damien Maia in bjj comp. He's also a fairly good MMA fighter:

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Givanildo-Santana-16614

Santana definitely lives up to his nickname. Team Oyama has a good thing going, though ive heard of some issues that i dont feel comfortable discussing openly.

i thought murlio bustamante and BTT were at no limits now? i remember that being a big thing after team oyama left. like... "wait dont leave no limits, we got BTT!"

Unfortunately, it fell through. Murilo was teaching there for a few months, but ultimately, there were some issues that couldn't be resolved, which resulted in Murilo leaving. Though we are still friends with everyone at No Limits, No Limits is not an official BTT Academy.

Santana definitely lives up to his nickname. Team Oyama has a good thing going, though ive heard of some issues that i dont feel comfortable discussing openly.

Unfortunately, it fell through. Murilo was teaching there for a few months, but ultimately, there were some issues that couldn't be resolved, which resulted in Murilo leaving. Though we are still friends with everyone at No Limits, No Limits is not an official BTT Academy.

Hey is Adriano Nasal still up there with you guys too? because he's been teaching over here at No limits, but was wondering if he still teaches at your school because i saw his pic at the btt long beach site.

I'll be close to the mission viejo area. Looking to train with guys that are competing for state/national/world titles. I train with Greg Nelson up in Minnesota. Great mma training up here but i'm done with the cold weather, time to enjoy some beautiful weather.

If you are interested in primarily GI training then id suggest Gracie Barra (i train there).... you could train at the main academy in Irvine but also train at the smaller schools, there is one in Mission Viejo (i also train at this school frequently cause of proximity to my home) which may be very convenient. A membership at one of the Gracie Barra schools in orange county will allow you to train at any of the 10+ schools in the area with amazing instruction from several world champions. If you are more interested in no-gi and grappling for MMA then I would suggest considering other options perhaps.... although there are several fighters that train at the various schools.

gb mission viejo is headed by roger gracie's training partner.

I have been training a lot over the last 2 months at GB Mission Viejo with Gustavo Pires. He is an excellent teacher and a beast on the mats. If you are able to train morning classes and go to GB America in Irvine you can train w/ a lot of the various blackbelt instructors from around OC. From what i hear Gustavo Pires and Flavio Almeida have some epic battles lately.

Hey is Adriano Nasal still up there with you guys too? because he's been teaching over here at No limits, but was wondering if he still teaches at your school because i saw his pic at the btt long beach site.

Yeah Nasal trains over here from time to time. (Think i saw him thrus night?) He only teaches classes when Marcelo is sick or out of town or something. Hes still very much a part of Brazilian Top Team. Hes just teaching out of No Limits and Rebel X in Santa Fe Springs. Though i dont know if he still instructs there or not.

Nasal is a great instructor and a very fun guy. Hes super funny, i love that guy. Who is this from No Limits btw? Were you training with us during those competition sessions with Murilo a few months back?

I only really know about the schools in north oc (tinguinhas, ralph gracie oc, leo vieiras, gracie barra fullerton) they all have their unique individual qualities just depends on what your looking for specifically. i use to train at tinguinhas all classes taught by him (third degree blackbelt) has a very tight family feel to it lots of blues purples browns a few blacks new awesome facility too muay thai no-gi all that stuff, ive also trained at leo vieiras/checkmat in la habra a couple times taught by one of the best in the world right now world champ lucas leite (bj penns flown him to Hawaii to his camps to train before) lots of other bad ass black belts coming and going in that place mendes bros leo i think vitor belforts been there so many guys so theres always a bad ass black belt there everytime i left that place i left super drained non stop rolling sessions and awesome techniques. Ralph Gracie oc is probably the one thats more involved in tournaments i always see their guys at the tourneys a few guys from sherdog are from there really cool guys. i can go on this for ever lol so to end whats turned into a novel :redface: id say just try gyms out for yourself and see which one fits YOU the best good luck man :icon_chee

Yeah Nasal trains over here from time to time. (Think i saw him thrus night?) He only teaches classes when Marcelo is sick or out of town or something. Hes still very much a part of Brazilian Top Team. Hes just teaching out of No Limits and Rebel X in Santa Fe Springs. Though i dont know if he still instructs there or not.

Nasal is a great instructor and a very fun guy. Hes super funny, i love that guy. Who is this from No Limits btw? Were you training with us during those competition sessions with Murilo a few months back?

Naw i didnt even start bjj until like right after Murilo left and Nasal came in...but I remember watching you guys from upstairs from the wrestling class lol. i was like... damn... that's like... Murilo Bustamante...haha!

Lol cool man. Youll love Nasal's style. Your half guard is going to be sick from training with him.

I heard training at Leo Vieira's place would be perfect for me. A ton of no gi and gi work. A little too north for me but I guess I can make the drive everyday from Irvine....

Back