Best heavyweights in history over 300 lbs

codfather

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Valuev and Big Baby Miller are the only top guys I can think of over that weight.

Valuev and Big Baby Miller are the only top guys I can think of over that weight.
Its a very short and underwhelming list

Butterbean, Buster Mathis Jr and the guys you mentioned

Butterbean was around 330 lbs in his prime but he was never really a top 20 heavyweight.
Mathis Jr and his father were both below 240 lbs in their primes.
Peter McNeely maybe?(for a top 20 opponent I mean)
Well, he fought an old larry holmes but the truth is that the list of decent boxers over 300 is so thin (no pun) that Bean probably is one of the 10 best.

Shaq Fu!

200w.webp

shaq_vs_cb.gif

Last edited:
Taishan Dong is pretty big but just short of the 300lb mark at 282lb. He's also pretty terrible as a boxer.

There are a handful of chaos or contenders that would have neared that mark with today's nutrition and training. Jess Willard and Abe Simon come to mind. Simon would be a monstrosity today. He was probably a little better than given credit for. God only knows what Carnera would look like today! Maybe testosterone enanthate would dilute what was naturally in his system! Lol!

heavyweights that big are a joke, always will be, the laws of nature and human physiology are just against them. It's a skill sport so even heavyweights have to be able to move, have stamina, etc.., there were always big heavyweights but the difference is, todays guys are big just because the race is growing, the giants of yesteryear were most likely dealing with a hormone issue, like simon and carnera. today, they might be big naturally not to mention all the extra pharmaceuticals. but it doesn't make them better and sure doesn't make them more entertaining or aesthetic. 230 and above is too big for a boxer.

Valuev maybe?
Buster Douglas was over 400 lbs at a time, not sure what weight he fought at though.

I checked BoxRec...
Buster’s heaviest was 261.
Valuev’s lightest was 310 against Holyfield.

Alexander Ustinov weighed 305 against Pulev when he lost

He was practicing BJJ by then...You see Shaq pulled guard for a guillotine after he missed with the left?!! LMAO
Shaq throws a left, misses, tries to get Barkley in a headlock, while at the same time Barkley successfully shoots for a takedown.

People say big baby needs to lose weight but I really don't think it's that big of a deal. At the lower weights it is because then if you're fat you're gonna be drained from cutting weight or you'll have to fight guys who are your same weight but leaner and stronger. At heavyweight though if you come in heavy that just means you're gonna be bigger than your opponents. If you know how you can use your weight to your advantage and smother your opponents and all that extra fat probably helps you take more damage too

People say big baby needs to lose weight but I really don't think it's that big of a deal. At the lower weights it is because then if you're fat you're gonna be drained from cutting weight or you'll have to fight guys who are your same weight but leaner and stronger. At heavyweight though if you come in heavy that just means you're gonna be bigger than your opponents. If you know how you can use your weight to your advantage and smother your opponents and all that extra fat probably helps you take more damage too
I get what CaravanMentality is saying, but Miller is gonna have alot of trouble with the elites of the HW division.
Way to slow and plodding for Wilder, Joshua, and Fury.

heavyweights that big are a joke, always will be, the laws of nature and human physiology are just against them. It's a skill sport so even heavyweights have to be able to move, have stamina, etc.., there were always big heavyweights but the difference is, todays guys are big just because the race is growing, the giants of yesteryear were most likely dealing with a hormone issue, like simon and carnera. today, they might be big naturally not to mention all the extra pharmaceuticals. but it doesn't make them better and sure doesn't make them more entertaining or aesthetic. 230 and above is too big for a boxer.
'230 and above is too big for a boxer', would you care to explain? I'm really interested in how you came to this conclusion.

I get what CaravanMentality is saying, but Miller is gonna have alot of trouble with the elites of the HW division.
Way to slow and plodding for Wilder, Joshua, and Fury.
Yea but that's more so because of skills than him being fat

Back