Best grappling sock for mats? (yes, I used the search function)

Will Jacobs

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Yes, I did a search and found a few websites that offer them, but I'm starting a new thread in hopes that someone out there has the same issue I do.

I need some socks with excellent traction on mats. I tried doing BJJ barefoot and twice now I've skinned the top of my foot to the point where I had to cover the scrape with a band aid for 4-5 days before it was healed. It's impossible to roll without the band aid coming off and I don't want to get it infected.

Has anyone out there used a particular brand they can recommend?

Jeff Monson's socks he wore against Sylvia at UFC 65 would be perfect. I know Dennis Hallman made them, but in this thread: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f16/a...eff-monsons-open-toed-wrestling-shoes-462698/ he stated that they will be available to buy on a website that does not exist.

I want some short socks, not the long style. Preferably in black.

Sorry I couldn't be of much usage regarding the socks, but maybe you should try using a lighter (i'm assuming you used a heavier style wrestling shoe) shoe such as the Gable Classics:

Asics%20Gable%20Classic.jpg

ASICS The Gable

Thanks for pulling those up for me but it still makes for the same problems.

It's not that the shoes I tried were heavy, it's that when you're working off your back and you're new to the game you tend to put your feet where they're not supposed to be at times and I caught the soles across an arm or a leg a few times and gave my partners some problems. Plus, the soles get all dusty and gross no one wants those in their face.

Thanks for pulling those up for me but it still makes for the same problems.

It's not that the shoes I tried were heavy, it's that when you're working off your back and you're new to the game you tend to put your feet where they're not supposed to be at times and I caught the soles across an arm or a leg a few times and gave my partners some problems. Plus, the soles get all dusty and gross no one wants those in their face.
Gotcha, good luck finding those socks!

Budovideos sells the GrappleSock. I have two pairs. They're not bad even if they look pretty dorky. My feet are totally jacked up from the mats though so I don't care. My only complaint is that the heel grip on them already began peeling after one class. I think it will last for a bit, but I can't say for sure how long. I emailed the company about it but I have not heard back.

suplay.com has something very similar to what Monson wears. basically Muay Thai ankle/foot braces with a non-skid bottom.

Suplay - Wrestler's World - SOLO Fight Sock PLS USE ITEM #95FS

fight%20sock-400.jpg

I have them and they're just ok. the problem is that they're sewn at the front, to create a hole for your big toe, and then a hole for your other toes. The hole for the big toe is too tight for my taste, and the way it's sewn is really irritating to the area between the toes. Also, they're almost as expensive as wrestling shoes.

I am thinking of making my own. Seriously, I am pretty good at inventing things when there is a need, and I am cheap so the 2 go hand in hand, or in this case..foot to sock. I made my own grappling dummy and it works pretty well. I am thinking that I can use a standard pair of heavy cotton socks, and apply the proper type of compound to the bottom. I have a few ideas for this. Think I will mess around on the weekend and see what I can come up with.

Better off spending 40 bucks for a pair if wrestling shoes, than 20 bucks for a pair of socks. The shoes will last a long time.

Try spraying a liquid band aid. That will help a little in rolling and will help to heal the cut a lot faster.

Suplay.com, did have a pair of wrestling socks on clearance for 8.95 Not sure if there are size restrictions or not.

Sherdoggers,
We are expecting a new load of grappling socks with an updated sole grip system on the bottom of the sock shortly. We have been experimenting for awhile with a variety of socks and have come up with three varieties which our customers seem to like. We are currently using a new fabric which is extra thin and feels almost identical to bare feet. If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me anytime.
Thanks,
[email protected]

GrappleSock

sambo shoes maybe?

The first link off google to save you the trouble(don't know anything about the company)

Russian Sambo Shoes

Wow, I might have to try them out. Anyone have experience with them?

theyre not bad, i used them in a tournament once....it felt like wearing thicker and less comfortable socks, but for 25 bucks i recommend them since i think they will last a long time

a bit goofy looking tho, but not bad

I'm leaning towards sambo shoes as well. I wear wrestling shoes, but they constantly snag on the gi when I don't need them to. Plus, you lose a lot of sensitivity with a wrestling shoe. Dragging the sole of a wrestling shoe across a training partner's face also sucks.

I'm leaning towards sambo shoes as well. I wear wrestling shoes, but they constantly snag on the gi when I don't need them to. Plus, you lose a lot of sensitivity with a wrestling shoe. Dragging the sole of a wrestling shoe across a training partner's face also sucks.

I've had this happen to me and it is the main reason I am not buying wrestling shoes.

this one guy at my school wears wrestling shoes, and they're BRUTAL! Not only do the soles pinch the hell out of me, but they have velcro on the top near the laces, and one day they chewed my legs up.

Back