Best Grappling Dummy for Submission and BJJ?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by bjjmonsters, Oct 7, 2014.

1. bjjmonsters White Belt

bjjmonsters
    What is the best grappling dummy available for submission and bjj training? I know there is no substitute for a live coaching partner, however for those times i do not have a partner and wish to train submission technique and ground work how helpful would a grappling dummy be? And which bjj dummy would be the closest to a live person?

I have read this forum thread and few websites: this grappling dummy buying guide, submission master review and this website, but still can't decide which one to buy.

UPDATE: After a lot of reading - Submission Master looks most promising - check out their website.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  2. Gambledub Brown Belt

Gambledub
    I cant be bothered typing my experience again so i'm linking one of my other posts on the topic!

In short make one, use it for 6 months then decide if you still wanna get one. Honestly they are worth a lot of money for one that is slightly realistic, you don't want to drop all that cash to find out you barely use it down the line. How long have you been grappling?

Read this, it describes my experience better
    http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/96025331-post7.html

3. sb413197 Red Belt

sb413197
    My opinion is your time would be better spent doing various drills by yourself. Stuff like getting to your knees correctly from side control, hip movement, rotation drills etc.

4. had0uken White Belt

had0uken
    In for this thread. I was wondering about the same thing.

5. HIMBOB Steel Belt

HIMBOB
    We have one at my gym that was donated by a guy who never used it.

It sits in the corner, I occasionally drag it out if I get to class early but then get bored with it within about 5 mins.
    Never seen anyone else using it.

6. Gambledub Brown Belt

Gambledub
    This is why I would recommend making one and using it for 6 months.

I think the dummy plays in to the beginner trap. You start off rolling and your getting smoked, your mind is trying to process 10,000 things per minute and you think that if your technique was better you would be quicker and better. You think "I only drilled that arm bar 10 times in class today, If I drilled it 1000 times I would be awesome." Until you realize being good at techniques only works to a certain level and stuff like timing, sensitivity, awareness and concepts can't be drilled on a dummy, then you lose interest.

7. HIMBOB Steel Belt

HIMBOB
    I was going to quote your comment and just say "this" but thought my personal experience may be more useful.

$600 for a grappling dummy, or $600 worth of privates

I know where I think I would get better value.

8. platfox Silver Belt

platfox
    They are only good for practicing ground and pound on.

9. Gambledub Brown Belt

Gambledub
    There are some things they are useful for, it can be good to get in some extra drilling to feel out a technique or series more before you try it live.

The question is, is that worth upwards of $500?

Edit: Oh and there was a few times when I was injured that it helped maintain stuff and stopped me going insane.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  10. Ghostrider Orange Belt

Ghostrider
    Well said. I wasn't quite convinced that I agreed with you until you stated this. It is a very compelling argument that is really hard to dispute... Also agree with comments that unless you are 100% committed to working hard on all aspects with the grapplng dummy, it will end up in a corner as you inevitably move on to other facets of your martial arts training if not in life itself.

11. APWiseman White Belt

APWiseman
    What do you guys think about the CTX trainer?

12. BJ@LW&WW Gold Belt

BJ@LW&WW
    a girlfriend

13. ironwolf Double Yellow Card

ironwolf
    They are cool but too damn expensive for what they are.

if they were like 200 bucks, Id buy one.

14. DoMn8 Orange Belt

DoMn8
    I built one, although it was pretty lame. I ended up just using to to train transitions on top. Then I threw it away. Trying to replicate working limbs is pretty hopeless.

For what i used it for I now do on a heavy bag or body pillow. Training moving for spinning armbars, S mount, knee on belly, NS.

A heavy bag can be obtained a lot cheaper than a grappling dummy.

15. CinemaKingdom Brown Belt

CinemaKingdom
    I built my own grappling dummy 4 or 5 months ago. I still use it every week. They are kind of expensive to buy so I watched several videos on youtube, took the ideas I liked and added some of my own. It ended up costing me about $100 in all because I bought a couple of rolls of gorilla glue tape to be the final skin on it, it's much stronger than regular duct tape (which I also have on the dummy, under the GG tape). It's a great training tool as long as you are dedicated, if you are lazy and not self motivated, like a lot of people on here seem to be, it will sit in a corner like they said.

I'll take an hour a day and just drill some different escapes and submissions on it. Beats wasting an hour on here.

16. CinemaKingdom Brown Belt

CinemaKingdom
    Actually, it's not too hard. Use some PVC pipe to be the skeleton and run a bunch of coat hangers through the joints. There are some youtube videos showing how to do it. I can do Kimuras, Americanas, chokes, leg locks, etc on mine. It's held up great for 4 or 5 months now. I even had an old gi laying around I put on it to work gi chokes and what not.

17. peregrine Kahuna Dog

peregrine
    I have 4 commercial dummies. I believe in the use of dummies and similar.
    They each have their pros and cons.
    ☆2 Suples - good for ballistic throws and gnp
    ☆1 CXT - good for certain movements, most versatile, gnp, chaining, most versatile
    ☆1 Motion Master - good for floating, gnp, chaining

I used to have the Combat Sports life sized one, but I think that one is the least useful.

18. peregrine Kahuna Dog

peregrine

19. BJJChess Rock&Roll forever BABY

BJJChess
    In about 100 - 200 years from now I'm pretty sure technology will develop a cyborg. It will grapple like a maniac. I'm also sure it will cost cheaper than the grappling dummy costs now. We just need to wait for some time to replace our PVC grappling dummies. Patience, my brothers, patience...

mike sherry likes this.
  20. NSchoke Blue Belt

NSchoke