Best for health: HIIT, steady cardio or weight training?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by shredman, Nov 1, 2018.

1. shredman

shredman Purple Belt

From the standpoint of health, so paying no mind to improving performance or losing weight, which type of exercise is best: HIIT, steady cardio or weight training?

Does anyone know of any research that looked into this?

If I'm already doing the best form of exercise (whatever that happens to be), is there any benefit to adding in another type?

FightGuyOpenMind likes this.
  2. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

Best would be a combination of strength training and some form of cardio.

If you had to pick one: they produce different effects; either could be better for general health depending the subject.

3. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

This

4. FightGuyOpenMind

FightGuyOpenMind Purple Belt

Depends on your current physical fitness, age, and lifestyle.

HIIT may not be the best for a cardiac patient.
    Weight training may not be best for a child.
    Steady cardio----never heard it not being okay for anyone from a health standpoint, however, if you have impaired joints it may cause irritation depending upon the method of steady cardio employed.

I don't know if there is a generic one fits all answer in choosing just one. Fitness, and health is relative to the person.

Granted you have no underlying conditions they all will provide benefit.

Can you give more information, perhaps goals for health or specifics about the subject?

AndyTran, JohnOates, Tone C and 3 others like this.
  5. Ultra O’Dia

Ultra O’Dia Purple Belt

i would do all three, regardless of goals

bad seed and FightGuyOpenMind like this.
  6. Eisenhans

Eisenhans Yellow Belt

Modern science says steady state, and anyone before the 60s preferred HIIT.

Zatopek ran the 400 meters in 80 seconds 20 times and then did 150 meter sprints 10 times, just as an example of a typical training day. At that volume, it's hard to say if it's aerobic or anaerobic.

7. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

Until you are extremely muscular, getting more jacked reduces morbidity (at some point you can have so much that it's taxing your heart to move the gd blood, but it's still better than being sedentary, and your ass isn't Ronnie Coleman), increased aerobic fitness decreases all-cause mortality at basically every level. If you are borderline diabetic than HIIT might help you not be a little quicker than the other things. Most people doing weight training with some stints doing bodybuilding, and concurrently or periodically doing cardiac output, will probably improve your longevity and quality of life.

Badger67 and Sano like this.
  8. Sano

Sano Black Belt

Exercise is one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, remedy for all diseases, moods and mortality. Now which form suits which person best, to what end and at which time varies.

Speaking of dose, what's your thoughts on these? I found them pretty interesting and in line with most of what I've read. Main thrust being, moderate exercise is probably sufficient and in some cases maybe beneficial:
    [​IMG]
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja...ZxhRlrq-3jzJOBPJH_vERZ29sesVfvOGbdPA_m35sxXdY

[​IMG]
    https://www.amjmed.com/article/S000...fGq5OK-pAWcufP4TA-ui3eJmeSS2ZchQ8fGM_FcPEUAoo

Kframe and bad seed like this.
  9. bad seed

bad seed Gold Belt

I would say cardio benefits everyone but is contraindicated for certain goals- like say bodybuilding or sports where it could hurt performance for competition ie, powerlifting and weightlifting.

Ultra O’Dia likes this.
  10. Ultra O’Dia

Ultra O’Dia Purple Belt

ya, youre right. i was quick on applying those words. They were more in regards to the OP than someone focusing on real competition.

longterm cardio, High itensity and lifting are all something I would prescribe for healthy living.

but ya, i cant put muscle on anymore, and its nearly for sure due to my endurance pursuits.

11. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Kingpin Belt Platinum Member

Sometimes, the choice between HIIT and LISS comes down to personal limitations. I did a lot of LISS at the start of the year, getting ready for a charity 5K. After the race, which ended with a steep downhill sprint, I started to get pain in my left knee. My physio diagnosed Runner's Knee, and advised me to switch to Hill Sprints/Repeats for a couple of months until my knee healed. The shorter stride and the fact I only ran uphill - I walked back down - allowed me to train while still allowing the injury to heal.

12. JauntyAngle

JauntyAngle International man of mystery

This is in a situation where the choice had to be running though. If you had just wanted to LISS, surely your injury would have still let you so cycling, the elliptical, rower, swimming or something. IE if it's for health, LISS is almost always going to be an option.

BTW it's possible that your knee pain was caused by poor running form as well. When you jog on the flat you should have a short stride/high cadence, and your stride should be really low to the ground (ie feet don't clear the ground by much/don't bounce). If you run like that you naturally mid-foot strike as well. IE some of the benefits you are getting from running up hills (short stride, not bouncing, better landing position) are things that you should have in your normal running anyway. If you fix your stride you might be able to go back to LISS or do a lot more of it without issues.

KnightTemplar likes this.
  13. JauntyAngle

JauntyAngle International man of mystery

Do you think that strength athletes can't even do very light cardio? IMO in terms of aerobic capacity and health you will actually get quite a lot out of just doing something like 2 incline treadmill walks a week for 40 minutes a time (relative to doing no cardio at all). Aside from health benefits there are possible benefits for strength athletes like improving work capacity/recovery.

Prokofievian and KnightTemplar like this.
  14. KnightTemplar

Agreed. I could have used the options you listed. I chose hill repeats - one cannot truly sprint a 250 meter hill - because it was the closest thing to normal jogging. That meant when I returned to LISS, it felt natural. The times I've spent doing other types of cardio, such as cycling, swimming etc, there was a transition period when running felt awkward.

As a point of interest, both the US and British armies are moving away from using LISS as a training and testing method. Both armies used to test their soldiers with three mile runs, push ups and sit ups. They are now using more HIIT and load bearing tests, including a 4K march with a 40kg rucksack, 25 metre sprints, Trap Bar Deadlifts etc. One of the reasons for this change is they believe this type of testing and training is less likely to injure soldiers when compared to steady state runs. The British Army has eliminated running entirely from it's Combat Fitness Tests, while tUS Army soldiers now only do a 2 mile run at the end of their test.

15. Prokofievian

Prokofievian Red Belt

I've noticed a benefit to my strength progress by including some aerobic work. Sheiko has ''sports'' programmed for all of his novice and beginner athletes at least once per week. I've heard Stan Efferding talk about doing air squats and body weight movements during rest days to promote recovery. I have a dog, so that adds about 5000-10000 steps per day. My recovery both inter and intra workout has never been better.

KnightTemplar and Sano like this.
  16. Tone C

Tone C Silver Belt

Wasn't aware of that, thank you. A lot of my ex army mates who've now retired have shagged knees and ankles so although too late it's good to know the issue is being addressed.

17. KnightTemplar

That's exactly why they've changed the training and testing. The US Army set up Project Thor to look into training and rehab for soldiers. They found out that a large percentage of medical discharges were for over-use injuries. Hence the new emphasis on short distance runs, sprints and lifting.

British Army is doing something similar because they found that the old test - 3 mile run followed by press ups and sit ups for AMRAP - didn't really test the kind of strength and fitness a soldier would need while tabbing with heavy loads, carrying ammo or casualties etc.

Tone C likes this.
  18. Tone C

Tone C Silver Belt

Tabbing ? You a Brit?

19. KnightTemplar

British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God;)

Tone C likes this.
  20. Tone C

Tone C Silver Belt

Bloody sweaty x

Thought so when you said 'tabbing '