Best exercises for bjj power?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Welshdanny84, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Welshdanny84

Welshdanny84 White Belt

Hi guys Im having been training bjj for a few months now and am finding that I really do favour fighting from my back. But I feel I need more power. Any training tips?

Craigslist likes this.
  2. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

What's your strength training history like?

3. Welshdanny84

Welshdanny84 White Belt

Used to be more into the body building side of thing more for aesthetics than power. Pretty good with deadlifts, bench, squats. But never really tried cleans, snatchs etc

4. aus101

aus101 Black Belt

Deadlifts, chin-ups and bench press/rows are likely the best exercises for strength off your back, and you are doing them already.
    Remember the weight of someone/thing heavy crushing down on you while lying on your back is tuesday for a bencher (or Monday etc).

Really you want to be working on your push/pull strength (and grip), as that's what you'll be doing while grappling. Cleans and snatches are fine but personally too CNS draining for me. (I just use normal sprints for "explosiveness/power" training).

5. Welshdanny84

Welshdanny84 White Belt

What sort of rep ranges and how many sets would you advise?

6. corpse

corpse Random Belt

i assume you are a new to lifting, so you could begin with starting strength, stronglifts or any other strength oriented beginner routine.
    maybe you should look into ross enamaits stuff, too. also, the faq of this forum is a good start.

for a beginner, sets and reps aren't that important. important is that you stick to your chosen routine for at least 3 months and follow the progression and learn the right lifting technique.
    after time you will find out which rep/set ranges work well for you and what routines you don't enjoy doing.

Welshdanny84 likes this.
  7. Welshdanny84

Welshdanny84 White Belt

I have never really trained for power before always been more interested in bulk. Thanks for all the tips guys. Will prob start with the old 5 x 5 routine. See how that works.

sideboob likes this.
  8. Mark Cutting

Mark Cutting Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

I've had good results with staying in the 3 rep range with floor presses, ring dips for assistance, ring pull ups w holds (15 to 30 seconds ) farmer walks with a trap bar for distance and also for weight (go raw to really reap the benefits) ring fall outs and some kettlebell work. 100 lbs kb for swings, goblet squats, etc... Sled pushes and drags.

People tend to over complicate this stuff. I've found increasing my grip strength has had a huge impact on my grappling. I've really focused on wrist control to shut down on my opponent ala Askren and Khabib.

I'd lift 3 times over 9 or 10 days. Seems a good balance.

corpse likes this.
  9. Mark Cutting

Mark Cutting Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

5 x 5 plus grappling is a bit too much, i.m.o. Look into 5/3/1/. It's a bit less taxing and probably better for what you're doing.

I'm 40 years old and I've found over years and years of trial and error that having @ 3 quality lifting days mixed with lots of flow and technique drills on top of sparring @ 3 times over 9 days is about a perfect balance for me.

corpse likes this.
  10. Craigslist

Craigslist Banned Banned

Try running sprints 2-3 times per week.

11. NurseKnuckles

NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

If someone came to me and asked for 1 exercise for BJJ power I'd say Clean and Jerk.

What kind of time are you planning to invest in work outside of BJJ classes?

ngarauru likes this.
  12. corpse

corpse Random Belt

13. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Blue Belt

Heavy low rep Turkish getups made a huge improvement for me. Not only is it good for strength but it also teaches you how to find the path of least resistance and use leverage to get up.

~DaViD~

14. dsdoubled

dsdoubled Purple Belt

I always felt you really cant go wrong with working the snatch and the muscle up on separate days. Both will build a ton of strength and both are done explosively. Both work the entire upper body. Obviously muscle ups will probably require building up the necessary strength.

Gregoire1 likes this.
  15. KotovSyndrome

KotovSyndrome Blue Belt

The go-to answer of my coach is heavy deadlifts and incline bench (think 10x3 to 5x5) once or twice a week, and go to town on calisthenics (pull-ups, dips, burpees, squats, lunges, l-sits, leg raises, suspension rows/curls/push-ups, etc.) all the time.

In order of priority, the time you can allot to training for BJJ should be spend on:
    1) Mat time
    2) More mat time
    3) Heavy deadlift & upper body push
    4) Even more mat time
    5) Dedicated conditioning (to fill performance gaps)

That being said, personaly I saw a nice benefit of power snatches and overhead squats (especially as a combination lift) in terms of reactive power and body control. If nothing else, pretty good warmup exercise ramping up from the emtpy bar.

Sano and JauntyAngle like this.
  16. FinalConflict2005

FinalConflict2005 Support RIZIN FF

Pushups. Learn them properly, Chest 1inch from the floor.

17. deadshot138

deadshot138 Black Belt

>BJJ
    >Power
    Pick one. It’s the gentle art, unless you roll like a fucking douchebag. Heavy Turkish get ups would be better as they strengthen the core and all sorts of intercostals worked during rolling. They also help improve grip which is great for gi.

18. JauntyAngle

JauntyAngle International man of mystery

The intercostals are the muscles that run along the rib bones, no? Is that really what you mean?

19. JinKazama

JinKazama Red Belt

looking up, as my redemption draweth nigh ...
    glute thrusts

20. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Infinity Belt Platinum Member

Couple of disclaimers here. One, I haven't trained BJJ in a couple of years. Two, while the following exercises helped me, there is no guarantee they would be right for TS.

1)Trap Bar Deadlifts.

2)Safety Bar Box Squats.

3)Squeeze Press, aka Hex Press because it's easier to do with hexagonal or dodecagon-sided dumbbells.

4)Chest Supported Dumbbell Rows and TRX Rows, Pull Ups.

5)Kneeling Landmine Press.