S

• Thread starter Deleted member 500785
  • Start date
Arlovski vs Buentello

arlovski_buentello_angle2.gif

Arlovski vs Buentello

arlovski_buentello_angle2.gif

I kind of wondered if Buentello took a dive there.

Obviously you can’t choose to go out cold but I found it was weird fight where Buentello was clearly petrified of Arlovski but yet went out cold anyway at the first fight punch. Like a coincidence.

"Heavy hands": Corrie Sanders

sanders-wladimir_2.gif

sanders-wladimir_2a.gif

sanders-wladimir_1.gif

sanders-wladimir_1a.gif

sanders-vitali.gif

"Heavy kicks": Yodsanklai Fairtex

yodsanklai-chike.gif

How the hell has no one said Carwin yet? Literally the biggest hands in MMA history, and quite possibly the hardest puncher the sport has ever seen....

Lesnar and HMC were the only ones to wear 4XL gloves but they even had to cut that glove just to fit around Shane's hand
Who is hmc

Heavy hands isn't just another way of saying someone hits hard. There are different kinds of power. To me, heavy hands connotes more of crushing/thudding power as opposed to a sharp/zapping power. One of characteristics of heavy handed fighters is that their punches don't look as damaging as they are. They seem to have "easy power." You can be a really hard hitter, but if your power is generated using lots of full body torque and blurring speed, I don't consider that heavy hands.

The most useful current example that comes to mind of heavy hands is Gennady Golovkin. He usually stays within himself when punching, rarely overextending or over-exerting himself. But when he connects, you can almost see in the face and body reaction of his opponent something like, "Holy shit, that hurt way more than it was supposed to." That's heavy hands.

Heavy handed people of recent times: Hunt, Hendo, Tyron, Romero, Oezdemir, Manuwa and Manhoef (is he still fighting?). Hunt is probably the heaviest puncher at HW though, which is crazy because he's pretty short and doesn't have the reach to generate the torque like someone like Conor does.

Julian Jackson is the hardest puncher who's ever lived. It was the combination of heavy hands and incredible snap to his punches. I wouldn't say it was just heavy hands though.

Tommy Hearns is another example of someone with long levers who can get incredible snap in the punch. His knockout over Duran was insane. Can someone who is more technical please post it here?

Earnie Shavers, Big George Foreman and Sonny Liston spring to mind when it comes to clubbing shots that make your whole body vibrate.

Most acknowledge Earnie as the hardest hitting heavyweight of all time. I'm astonished that Larry Holmes got up from one of the cleanest shots you will see.

Big George! He literally lifted Frazier off his feet with an uppercut. Is there anything better on the eye than watching big George literally put dents in the heavy bag as his coach tries to hold on at the other side?

Sonny Liston! Monster with a tremendous ramrod Jab. His fist size has somewhat mythical status.

Last edited:
Back