Best early UFC HW to not win title

LHWBelt

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Simple question. Who's the best early UFC HW to not win the belt? Oleg? Ken Shamrock, Marco Ruas, Pete Williams, Severn? Somebody I'm not thinking of? Thoughts?

Oleg got a belt but I think his was when it was still under the tournament format.

latest

Either way, he's my choice

Oleg got a belt but I think his was when it was still under the tournament format.

latest

Either way, he's my choice

Yeah he's def tournament so I didn't count it. I was talking real HW championship because otherwise I think Severn and maybe Ken won tournament belts too.

Tank Abbott. But that's cause he was at the bar !!!

Pedro Rizzo, the Buffalo Bills of old school UFC heavyweight division, dominated everybody, looked like an all time great but then lost all 3 title shots.

Pat Smith was a beast. He had all the skills and brute strength but I always thought he underperformed on the big stage.

images

2.gif

That gif is lieterally the only thing I remember about Pat Smith. Was brutal as hell though. Don Frye should be in the mix too I just thought of that.

It's the most brutal ending to a fight imo. Big John didn't know what to do.

Yep Don Frye definitely deserves a shout out. He was a legend.

It's the most brutal ending to a fight imo. Big John didn't know what to do.

Yep Don Frye definitely deserves a shout out. He was a legend.

That or the crucifix elbow old school finish. My memory is failing me tonight so I can't think who it was but it was fucking vicious.

I believe the HW belt became a thing at UFC 12 which was in 1997...I'd automatically disqualify any fighters that fought before this era, because guys like Oleg (my favorite as a kid) never competed in the UFC belt swapping era, and if we do want to include them, I'd say any tournament winner was a belt holder.

Pedro Rizzo, the Buffalo Bills of old school UFC heavyweight division, dominated everybody, looked like an all time great but then lost all 3 title shots.

IKR. he looked great in non-title fights, kicked the shit out of people (literally)

I believe the HW belt became a thing at UFC 12 which was in 1997...I'd automatically disqualify any fighters that fought before this era, because guys like Oleg (my favorite as a kid) never competed in the UFC belt swapping era, and if we do want to include them, I'd say any tournament winner was a belt holder.

Yeah, I took a quick look. Ken Shamrock won the "Superfight Championship" against Severn which he actually defended once (vs Kimo). Then he lost it in a split decision to Severn. That was the closest thing to a belt. Then there were tournaments, which I believe Royce, Severn, Oleg and Frye all won at different times. Oh, and Steve Jennum won the tournament that Royce and Ken both dropped out of after winning matches...probably the easiest tournament win ever.

Back