• Reiner

• Cameron

• Scorsese

• Landis

• Donnor

• De Palma

• Stone

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can't believe spielbeef is winning this.

Thought Indy fans considered Temple of Doom to be garbage, and ET is a sappy snooze fest.

ET was the biggest blockbuster of all time--was in theaters for nearly 2 years! Like it or not, it was a big deal.

Spielberg also directed The Color Purple, and Empire of the Sun in the 80's.. that may put him over the top.

I just wanted to give props to John McTiernan for making Predator, Die Hard and the Hunt for Red October in a four year span.

Reactions: Zer
Spielberg or Zemeckis. Both did a lot films I love

I just wanted to give props to John McTiernan for making Predator, Die Hard and the Hunt for Red October in a four year span.
I think you could argue in retrospect the start of the 90's feels more like a continuation of the 80's, its more some point around 1992-93 that the kind of cinema the 90's was known for more starts to become dominant, family friendly CGI blockbusters, big prestige dramas, Tarantino(and esque) style crime films.

Last edited:
Oliver Stone?

Salvador 1986
Platoon 1986
Wall Street 1987
Talk Radio 1988
Born on the Fourth of July 1989

Platoon and Wall Street can go two for two with pretty much any director.

Which Director had the best 4 film run in the 80s?

1. Spielberg - Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET, Temple of Doom, Last Crusade

2. Carpenter - The Thing, Escape From NY, Big Trouble in Little China, They Live

3. Hughes - Ferris Bullers Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Uncle Buck

4. Zemeckis - Romancing the Stone, Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future II

5. Reiner - This is Spinal Tap, Stand By Me, The Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally

6. Cameron - Piranha II, The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss

7. Scorsese - Raging Bull, King Of Comedy, After Hours, The Color of Money

8. Landis - The Blues Brothers, An American Werewolf in London, Trading Places, Coming To America

9. Donnor - Superman II, The Goonies, Lethal Weapon, Leapon Weapon II

10. De Palma - Dressed To Kill, Blow Out, Scarface, The Untouchables

11. Stone - Platoon, Wall Street, Talk Radio, Born on the Fourth of July

For me it's between Carpenter & Hughes.
1. Spielberg
2. Hughes
3. Carpenter
4. Landis

Maybe not the best technically, but to me Hughes is the 80s.

Y'all sleeping on Sylvester Stallone... Rocky 3, Rocky 4, Staying Alive, ghost directing Rambo 2 and Cobra.

Spielberg hands down.

Raiders
ET
Temple of Doom
Color Purple
Empire of the Sun
Last Crusade

His producer credit list his holy shit long!

Back