Best defense for a collar grab from a standing position as a pure striker

that's actually pretty good. by the way my mum wants the toys you stole back. it's her seventieth and she wants to celebrate properly.
How about this one.......

On the day of your conception, your mum stumbled in the dark looking for the five guys and I don't mean the burger and fries..... I made this one up for you.....hope you like it.
Fuck both ya'll I keep coming back here for knowledge but all I read here is your bickering.
<You11>

okay, actually trying to answer the question, I'd cover my head with one arm (think KFM) while grabbing the wrist and pulling their hand into me with the other, then hit their knee with a wicked side kick.

also, a shirt grab is asking for an aikido "nikyo" lock, or a strike to the nose to stun and then an ippon seoi nage. so many options. I pity the fool who grabs my shirt, especially near competition season, as I have a plethora of options running through my head

okay, actually trying to answer the question, I'd cover my head with one arm (think KFM) while grabbing the wrist and pulling their hand into me with the other, then hit their knee with a wicked side kick.

Maybe I'm not understanding it right, So the aggressor is already grabbing you by your shirt/jacket and starts to shove or attempt to rag doll, then you protect your head, pull his hand closer and side kick his knee? The distance is too close, more so if you're taller

In the grappling version of this thread everyone suggested you punch him in the face. In the striking version everyone suggested ways to grapple him.

I feel like there’s something deep here.

In the grappling version of this thread everyone suggested you punch him in the face. In the striking version everyone suggested ways to grapple him.

I feel like there’s something deep here.

Sounds like both forums (striking and grappling) intuitively know there is more that is needed to counter chaotic everyday defensive situations than just their own condensed art, realistically. Especially this scenario where someone is grabbing you by the collar to punch you. That specific situation is a blend of both grappling and striking, so it requires familiarity with both to be able to counter it.

That's not to say you can't or shouldn't have a specialty that you are best at. It seems to work best in MMA if people have a specialty (striking, esp. boxing as of late ;)) and supplement around that.

When Jack Dempsey was asked by the government to teach the U.S. troops how to fight, he also felt the same way, that a healthy dose of some grappling be instituted into the training necessarily.

Boxers used to wrestle as well as box because the two work so incredibly great together. I'm actually glad that boxing further refined itself into almost pure striking so it could further evolve in mechanical efficiency. It's not like they STOP you or discourage a boxer from separately training wrestling. That's probably the most effective way to train more than one high level art-- separately, from what I've seen anyway (for most people).

Last edited:
Sounds like both forums (striking and grappling) intuitively know there is more that is needed to counter chaotic everyday defensive situations than just their own condensed art, realistically. Especially this scenario where someone is grabbing you by the collar to punch you. That specific situation is a blend of both grappling and striking, so it requires familiarity with both to be able to counter it.

That's not to say you can't or shouldn't have a specialty that you are best at. It seems to work best in MMA if people have a specialty (striking, esp. boxing as of late ;)) and supplement around that.

When Jack Dempsey was asked by the government to teach the U.S. troops how to fight, he also felt the same way, that a healthy dose of some grappling be instituted into the training necessarily.

Boxers used to wrestle as well as box because the two work so incredibly great together. I'm actually glad that boxing further refined itself into almost pure striking so it could further evolve in mechanical efficiency. It's not like they STOP you or discourage a boxer from separately training wrestling. That's probably the most effective way to train more than one high level art-- separately, from what I've seen anyway (for most people).

I wanna see a sport where both practioners start in something like a collar and elbow tie, both in a half plum, whatever, just start in a clinch and be allowed strikes, throws, trips and maybe 30 seconds of groundwork and strikes as you break free from a clinch. I just wanna see exciting fighting from a clinch.

I wanna see a sport where both practioners start in something like a collar and elbow tie, both in a half plum, whatever, just start in a clinch and be allowed strikes, throws, trips and maybe 30 seconds of groundwork and strikes as you break free from a clinch. I just wanna see exciting fighting from a clinch.
It'll be like greco with strikes?

Might actually be easier than you think; simply take the scoring criteria from a wrestling rule set, and just make all striking legal on top of that.

It'll be like greco with strikes?

Might actually be easier than you think; simply take the scoring criteria from a wrestling rule set, and just make all striking legal on top of that.

I think it’d be easy to do. I just wanna see it. The closest I can think of is shooto? Shoot Boxing? One of those two

Last edited:

That sounds like a popular sport that would have died in ancient times out before it could be archived into print. The Celts have collar-and-elbow style wrestling (similar to judo with trips and shin kicks), and they also have competitive shin kicking (where you grab onto the other person and kick each others' shins to submission). It's very likely that your sport existed somewhere in Europe a century or three ago. Collar-and-elbow style might still be something you can witness because I think they still teach it in small parts of Ireland and/or England, it's ruleset is almost identical to your specs (minus the hand striking).

Older boxing included hip tosses, throws, (trips?) and tie ups, I think it was based on the above mentioned so that would also be very close to what you want.

You could start your own competition if all else fails, that would be sweet!

Back