Best defence against a knife attack?

a good point to add is that even if you are forced to engage an armed attacker like a knifer or gunman, it does not mean that you have to continue the fight even though that may be an intial course of action, if there is a chance to run and escape via cover or otherwise then that could be very wise.

many of us train to engage and win. sometimes winning does not always mean engaging to a conclusive finish. a good mention of this would be entry cqb guys who are trained to bust doors and take out bad guys. think about the scenario, they are highly armed and armored, they work in teams, they likely choose the time to engage. the mindset is offensivelly take the fight to the enemy.
if you are out at the movies with your girl and walking back to your car and encounter a mugger or two with a knife, your response and actions will be different. you're not the one who has the drop, or are armored/armed in hand. you are in reactionary mode. you have options. give in and pray he only wants your wallet. evade and escape. fight till you can evade and escape. fight to a conclusive finish. there are likely several more options, but that is the jist of them and much better than two options of fight or flight.

1-run
2 try to grab the wrist, once you manipulate the wrist you can have him drop the knife

* ALWAYS keep your eyes on the knife
* if you get the knife out of the attackers hand you need to grab it, you can't leave it there. and if you DO grab the knife don't let your attacker control the knife.

you can be wielding a knife and your attacker can manipulate your hand to endanger you w/ the knife.

rapidresults said:
option A) run very fast

option B) have a gun handy

A you turn your back and get slashed while running
B, by the time you draw your gun and put on the safety, you are cut.

Hey dudes, how about this thecas invented(Only in the event where running or getting aweapon yourself and all other solutions other than confrontation is not present):

Do an upturned turtle.

You simply lay down on your back, Legs retracted. The moment he lowers himself to try to stab or cut you just flurry kicks to his face or groin. The way the knife is in his hand makes it just awkward to strike your main body; u just kick him in the face if he comes too near. In most street cases u r wearing shoes so there is a chance. If the shoe holds u r mainly risking just cuts to skin of your leg, though over time cuts add up.

Remember, length of leg > length of arm + ordinary knife(Ermm.. in ordinary cases, that is). So whenever he comes u can kick him.

thecas said:
Do an upturned turtle.

I'm not gonna criticize, all I'm gonna say, is that I feel that many people who have responded seem to have
not studied knife fighting. There is lots of materials out there to study.
so having a disscussion with people who just say run, quoting someone else without having done
enough study seems pointless.

it would be like people who never grappled before comming up with submissions saying
I would do this in sparring and tap people out.....

VampireMonk said:
I'm not gonna criticize, all I'm gonna say, is that I feel that many people who have responded seem to have
not studied knife fighting.

But comment on my strategy?

By simple logic, I feel that if u were to just engage him standup, due to the almost maximum exposure of your body to him something will surely go. He just raise his hand for a crescent swipe down and no matter what art u r trained in ,you try blocking his wrist thumbs etc that one swipe will almost guarantee a long cut somewhere.

thecas said:
But comment on my strategy?

By simple logic, I feel that if u were to just engage him standup, due to the almost maximum exposure of your body to him something will surely go. He just raise his hand for a crescent swipe down and no matter what art u r trained in ,you try blocking his wrist thumbs etc that one swipe will almost guarantee a long cut somewhere.

not sure I understand your point(s)

VampireMonk said:
not sure I understand your point(s)

The main point is if you were to engage him stand-up, your whole upper torso and head , neck are all within striking range. He take a swipe hes bound to hit something. Hence my method.

I believe your method to be extremely one dimensional and I wouldn't want to be there unless forced.

in the first clip, the bar defense one, I noticed
for the one where Amir is holding a bottle and Bas grabs a chair,
Bas throws the chair at him and continues to punch and kick the crap
out of the guy, he doesn't disarm Amir.

I'm sure Bas is aware of the bottle, but first things first.

so this is what I meant by what if a guy had a knife in the subway train
I can't run, I would just attack him.

He is expecting to attack me, not the other way around :)

did some stick training today,
both my partner agreed that we would want to
seize the opportunity or get the hell out,
not play around, or feel him out like in Some kickboxing or grappling matches...

Back