Best butterfly Guard Instructionals?

peidro223

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm basically starting from scratch and feel like I really need to plug this hole in my game. Any recs for videos or DVDs that cover that topic pretty broadly?

mginaction.com should have everything there is to know about the butterfly guard.

also, as far as basics go, watch this video:

MGinA is good for sure. Robson's old Fusion set has a different style of playing butterfly, and Formiga's DVD is a really different way of playing it (he mostly uses overhead sweeps more so than hook flips). Carlos Machado has a single DVD that is only about the minutiae of the hook flip, it's actually great stuff once you've played with the position a bit.

Carlos Machado's Unstoppable Hook Flip has some great details

i like robson's fusion videos, great stuff on butterfly guard.

and marcelo of course is butterfly god

just get really good at hook sweep and arm drag and you're halfway there imo

MGinA is good for sure. Robson's old Fusion set has a different style of playing butterfly, and Formiga's DVD is a really different way of playing it (he mostly uses overhead sweeps more so than hook flips). Carlos Machado has a single DVD that is only about the minutiae of the hook flip, it's actually great stuff once you've played with the position a bit.

Could you elaborate about Formiga's DVD? I've been meaning to look into it.

Could you elaborate about Formiga's DVD? I've been meaning to look into it.

Formiga plays the butterfly really differently than anyone else I've seen. Rather than making the hook flip the basis of his game, he bases it around an overhead sweep from a seated guard with one BF hook and the other foot on the hip. All his stuff is around that sweep. Other than that, he shows some pretty generic X guard transitions and some 50/50 I didn't really care for. I don't think it's a great DVD unless you really like sweeping people overhead.

Robsons and Felipe costa has good Butterfly stuff also

I'd put in my vote for MGinA as well. I don't think there's any single resource as comprehensive as Marcelo's site. Everything form over-all "big-picture" strategy, all the way down to the minutiae of grip fighting for the position. It's really changed my game completely.

I have it, like it, but it's not solving my issues (getting in and getting passed), I am going to try the mgin stuff
You might want to consider checking out the new Wardzinski DVD too. I haven’t seen it but he’s really really good at butterfly.

Pretty sure it’s just gi though if that matters. He’s all about that belt grip.

You might want to consider checking out the new Wardzinski DVD too. I haven’t seen it but he’s really really good at butterfly.

Pretty sure it’s just gi though if that matters. He’s all about that belt grip.

I love the belt grip, I use it to send people into the rock up and then sweep or go slx depending on the reaction. I'll look at this, thanks.

i havent seen much of marcelos butterfly other than the basic hook sweep if they try to smash legs he goes for guillotine of if he can get a arm drag he goes to back thats his basic game his legs are so strong he only has to play the basic way i feel

Back