Best boxing books

A.J. Leibling's The Sweet Science is not just one of the best boxing books of all time, but one of the best sports books, period.

Ali : a life by Jonathan Eig is a damn good biography.

I read it poorly translated, but it's still nuanced, deep and rich, technically sound, with a fair amount of things I had forgotten or just didn't know yet. A must-read for boxing fans, IMO.

Black Lights. Followed Billy Costello. By Thomas hauser

Ali : a life by Jonathan Eig is a damn good biography.

I read it poorly translated, but it's still nuanced, deep and rich, technically sound, with a fair amount of things I had forgotten or just didn't know yet. A must-read for boxing fans, IMO.
it is, i'm about halfway through, was in the hopes that some things would be new and there is so far. he writes the NOI actually let ali borrow money during his exile, i never heard that and ali crying like a bitch because he couldn't stay faithful to belinda is kinda funny. I'm hoping to get a grasp on eig's take on ali and the draft, does he think ali was a coward like the book by Kindred. seems the axes and angles are as various as ali himself, what was the truth? was he a coward afraid to get shot? or was he really a conscientious objector. I always figured he was sincere but kindreds stories are interesting.

it is, i'm about halfway through, was in the hopes that some things would be new and there is so far. he writes the NOI actually let ali borrow money during his exile, i never heard that and ali crying like a bitch because he couldn't stay faithful to belinda is kinda funny. I'm hoping to get a grasp on eig's take on ali and the draft, does he think ali was a coward like the book by Kindred. seems the axes and angles are as various as ali himself, what was the truth? was he a coward afraid to get shot? or was he really a conscientious objector. I always figured he was sincere but kindreds stories are interesting.

I think the point that Eig is trying to make is that depending on circumstances Ali could be brave or a coward, racist or tolerant, smart or dumb, anti-American or a patriot, kind or mean, etc. A complex character.

I think the point that Eig is trying to make is that depending on circumstances Ali could be brave or a coward, racist or tolerant, smart or dumb, anti-American or a patriot, kind or mean, etc. A complex character.
kindred had a slant that made ali seem cowardly, it honestly bothered me, so much that i sent and email to rober lypsyte asking about it, he said that kindred always seemed honest to him.

Back