Best boxing books

Here's a great one
review%2Bgraphic-in%2Bthis%2Bcorner-peter%2Bheller-may%2B31.png
this is a different cover, same book
9780306806032.jpg
I bought it because I wasnt able to afford a similar book with a similar title at the time (the price of the other book on Amazon was out of control even for a used copy. Now it's cheap and affordable)

Here's the book I was looking for
9780688094461-us-300.jpg
which I had read some excerpts from on sherdog standup forum. Gems of incredibly useful observation and tested application at the highest levels. Both books contain little bits of advice and inside boxing knowledge from the legendary champs and their coaches, stuff you can't find anywhere else.

I'm going to get the 2nd book now that it's cheap (already have the first), can't wait. I used some of the stuff I learned in the boxing gym from the first book and it worked even better than I thought it would. Beyond priceless for the rare info you learn and extremely entertaining. Every chapter is a different boxer/trainer with his own unique insight and irreplaceable working knowledge.

Get em while they're cheap (and still have copies available).

I don't care for Thomas Hauser. I always feel like he doesn't really like boxing all that much when I read his stuff.
even though his Ali bio is my bible, it's not the author, it's the subject. Hauser is a horrible author, that book is really an anomaly, what makes it are the as told to stories by the hundred or so people who knew the great man, the book basically wrote itself.

Here's a great one
review%2Bgraphic-in%2Bthis%2Bcorner-peter%2Bheller-may%2B31.png
this is a different cover, same book
9780306806032.jpg
I bought it because I wasnt able to afford a similar book with a similar title at the time (the price of the other book on Amazon was out of control even for a used copy. Now it's cheap and affordable)

Here's the book I was looking for
9780688094461-us-300.jpg
which I had read some excerpts from on sherdog standup forum. Gems of incredibly useful observation and tested application at the highest levels. Both books contain little bits of advice and inside boxing knowledge from the legendary champs and their coaches, stuff you can't find anywhere else.

I'm going to get the 2nd book now that it's cheap (already have the first), can't wait. I used some of the stuff I learned in the boxing gym from the first book and it worked even better than I thought it would. Beyond priceless for the rare info you learn and extremely entertaining. Every chapter is a different boxer/trainer with his own unique insight and irreplaceable working knowledge.

Get em while they're cheap (and still have copies available).
yup lots of great info in books like that, i think it was this one but may have been another where george benton talks about his techniques, i loved his "dead weight" technique and learned it, more fighters should use it.

I enjoyed the one jack dempsey wrote from 1950. I think its on the internet for free. Its more about techniques, which some of them are probably kinda outdated today, than lifestories but I still thought it was interesting to read. It has that oldschool boxing vibe.

Hi guys,

just finished

Hands of stone
A fighters heart
in this corner ( almost finished )

also tried to read the book of Jack Johnson but it couldnt get me, shame on me i know

here come's the question, which one of these books is worth reading and which one is bad :

The fighters mind
Jack Dempsey
Boxing greatest fighters by Bert Randolph Sugar
Four Kings
The sweet science
Facing Ali

Read Nick Tosches's Night train a while ago.

It's very documented when it comes to describing the ties between Liston and the mob. Basically the author claims that both Ali fights were thrown. He also talks about other fixed fights and claims Moore took a dive against Marciano, based on testimonies.

We'll never know, I guess.

To be honest you’ve missed out a lot of books I’ve read, so my assessment would be four Kings is very good, hausers book on Ali is very good, if I want to see Bert sugar talk shit I’ll watch espn classic.

Also if you read Ruben Carters biography don’t read it from a one sided viewpoint.

I recently read "Hard Luck" The Triumph and Tragedy of Irish Jerry Quarry. It is an awesome book about a great boxer who fought almost all the greats in hw in boxings golden era. I thought it was really well written and got in to it really well.

To be honest you’ve missed out a lot of books I’ve read, so my assessment would be four Kings is very good, hausers book on Ali is very good, if I want to see Bert sugar talk shit I’ll watch espn classic.

Also if you read Ruben Carters biography don’t read it from a one sided viewpoint.

Thank you, will buy those 2 any more recommendations?

I like '' in this corner '' but some i like to read something '' more recent '' now 70/80s+ era

I like '' in this corner '' but some i like to read something '' more recent '' now 70/80s+ era
Ray Leonard’s autobiography is interesting. I’ve not read any but I assume there are books about jones jr in his prime.

If you’re looking for an instructional book stay away from autobiographies, young kid born with nothing wins a belt develops an addiction to something, fucks everybody close to them off and doesn’t understand that if you aren’t making money, you can’t keep spending it as if you’re a billionaire.

Ray Leonard’s autobiography is interesting. I’ve not read any but I assume there are books about jones jr in his prime.

If you’re looking for an instructional book stay away from autobiographies, young kid born with nothing wins a belt develops an addiction to something, fucks everybody close to them off and doesn’t understand that if you aren’t making money, you can’t keep spending it as if you’re a billionaire.

Will look for Ray Leonards book. To be honest i never read a instructional book, are they '' easy to read '' with a couple cool facts and stuff or more like real teaching books?

I really enjoyed Teddy Atlas his book also

Hi guys,

just finished

Hands of stone
A fighters heart
in this corner ( almost finished )

also tried to read the book of Jack Johnson but it couldnt get me, shame on me i know

here come's the question, which one of these books is worth reading and which one is bad :

The fighters mind
Jack Dempsey
Boxing greatest fighters by Bert Randolph Sugar
Four Kings
The sweet science
Facing Ali

Four Kings is very good and rich in details. Boxing's Greatest Fighters is okay from a writing standpoint, but is lacking in detailed info and Bert Sugar never came across a myth he didn't like. Facing Ali is quite mediocre and was mostly a waste of time unless you want to find out a little bit about guys like Jurgen Blin or Coopman.

If you're a fan of Micky Ward then 'Irish Thunder' by Bob Halloran is quite good.

'A Fighter's Life' by Chuvalo and Murray Greig is pretty good. Murray Greig's book about Canadian boxing history 'Goin' the Distance' is also quite good. 'Cinderella Man' by Jeremy Schaap. 'Max Baer: The Clown Prince of Boxing' by John Jarrett. 'Jack Dempsey: The Manassa Mauler' by Randy Roberts. 'Sam Langford: Boxing's Greatest Uncrowned Champion' by Clay Moyle. 'The Sweet Science Goes Sour' by Thomas Myler. 'The Longest Fight' by William Gildea. All of those are quite good and worth a read. As are a bunch of others.

"The Good Son' by Mark Kriegal (about Mancini) isn't. I hated it.

If you're a fan of Micky Ward then 'Irish Thunder' by Bob Halloran is quite good.

'A Fighter's Life' by Chuvalo and Murray Greig is pretty good. Murray Greig's book about Canadian boxing history 'Goin' the Distance' is also quite good. 'Cinderella Man' by Jeremy Schaap. 'Max Baer: The Clown Prince of Boxing' by John Jarrett. 'Jack Dempsey: The Manassa Mauler' by Randy Roberts. 'Sam Langford: Boxing's Greatest Uncrowned Champion' by Clay Moyle. 'The Sweet Science Goes Sour' by Thomas Myler. 'The Longest Fight' by William Gildea. All of those are quite good and worth a read. As are a bunch of others.

"The Good Son' by Mark Kriegal (about Mancini) isn't. I hated it.

Great thanks a lot!

You recommend any book from the Tyson era+ also?

I read an unofficial book about pacquiao that sounded it was written by buboy while he had mannys testicles in his mouth.

Someone must have written something about the klitschko bros, Lennox etc. Usually autobiographies are shit.

Back