Best boxing books

Koondrecht

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hi guys

im searching for good boxing books, MMA books are also fine

i read Undisputed truth from Tyson, and the book from Teddy Atlas and Mark Hunt, liked the Atlas book the most. Can you guys help me out for some new books. Would be great!

Four kings
Hurricane
Hausers biography of Tyson
Anything hugh mcilvaney wrote about the sport
Dan Rafaels twitter feed
Anything consortium plagiarised off other people.

The Karamazov brothers.

Hi guys

im searching for good boxing books, MMA books are also fine

i read Undisputed truth from Tyson, and the book from Teddy Atlas and Mark Hunt, liked the Atlas book the most. Can you guys help me out for some new books. Would be great!
There's actually a pretty big thread about boxing books from a few years back. Let me see if I can find it.

Four Kings is the standard recommendation, BTW. Great boxing book.

The Sweet Science is a classic as well.

The Sweet Science is a classic as well.

We had this topic the other day, & I was pleasantly surprised to see both the Sweet Science & On Boxing get recommendations.

My estimation of the forum went way, way up.

if no one mentione a neutral corner, that deserves a mention also, a liebling book which for some reason wasn't published for nearly 30 years after he passed. He has an interesting take on a young Cassius Clay which he never lived to see how wrong he'd be.

Four kings
Hurricane
Hausers biography of Tyson
Anything hugh mcilvaney wrote about the sport
Dan Rafaels twitter feed
Anything consortium plagiarised off other people.
hauser don't have a bio on mike does he?

hauser don't have a bio on mike does he?
No, I was getting bored halfway through the list, for the record I don't recommend fat dans Twitter.

Hausers Ali biography is a good read though.

i was just skimming ghosts of manila, read it awhile ago but i saw it at goodwill and didn't want to spend 5 bucks on it, it looked good. on the whole, it was a cash grab. the writer didn't have anything negative to say other than ali wasn't "too bright" when Hauser wrote his ali tome, but all the sudden Ali is a despicable guy who was full of self hatred and was a womanizer who abandoned them after he used them. It was a great slant to sell the book, it was at the peak of Ali's olympic flame lighting so a backlash was rife and it came in this and a couple other books which i can't be troubled to name.

No, I was getting bored halfway through the list, for the record I don't recommend fat dans Twitter.

Hausers Ali biography is a good read though.
yes it is, i've read it and referred to it thousands, literally thousands of times since i first bought it.

yes it is, i've read it and referred to it thousands, literally thousands of times since i first bought it.
Unforgivable blackness is a good book as well if you're interested in the jack Johnson era.

ya, i've heard great things about Johnson's book, got the dvd but of course that's not the same. I also loved what i saw of Johsnons auto biography, interesting guy and it was cool to see how different, and seemingly better, people used syntax back then, very well written.

ya, i've heard great things about Johnson's book, got the dvd but of course that's not the same. I also loved what i saw of Johsnons auto biography, interesting guy and it was cool to see how different, and seemingly better, people used syntax back then, very well written.
I didn't know he had an autobiography. A lot of the quotes are lyrical so I guess he got material from their writing the biography.

I read sugar ray Leonard's autobiography, interesting but very self indulgent.

I didn't know he had an autobiography. A lot of the quotes are lyrical so I guess he got material from their writing the biography.

I read sugar ray Leonard's autobiography, interesting but very self indulgent.
ya, i should have grabbed it when i had the chance, it was when barnes and noble were taking over the book world, it seemed they were trying to kill the small bookstores by having every book that had ever been written, any event i don't see it anymore. I'm sure it can be found online like everything else. Sugar Ray's bio I read even though i can't stand that motherfucker, it was interesting and he kind of had some good points. Dundee had one a few years earlier where he had some bitter words for Ray and his advisor, mike trainer, in short, ray changed and he wasn't very nice in that 80's era. He seems to have been humbled, he's not so bad today but I still don't like him.

Back