Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
My favorites so far:

King of the World
Shadow Box
The Fight
Charley Burley and the Black Murderers Row

Any other recommendations? Any books on Joe Louis that are page turners?

Four Kings is pretty standard, and good.

Four Kings is pretty standard, and good.
Came here to say. Four kings.
Ali biography by hauser is good.
Hurricane about Ruben carter is possibly fabricated in parts but a good read.
I know I've read about fighters I found interesting but wouldn't recommend and there will be other people who have their own favourites. Ask the question like you have and see what you get.

Came here to say. Four kings.
Ali biography by hauser is good.
Hurricane about Ruben carter is possibly fabricated in parts but a good read.
I know I've read about fighters I found interesting but wouldn't recommend and there will be other people who have their own favourites. Ask the question like you have and see what you get.

I just watched the movie a few months back. I don't know how much is accurate but it was really compelling. Wouldn't mind reading the book.

My favorites so far:

King of the World
Shadow Box
The Fight
Charley Burley and the Black Murderers Row

Any other recommendations? Any books on Joe Louis that are page turners?

One thing I started doing not too long ago was ordering old editions of Ring Magazine. I have a few from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Great stuff if you want to read stories about fighters and events that have long since been forgotten.

I just watched the movie a few months back. I don't know how much is accurate but it was really compelling. Wouldn't mind reading the book.
Well, it's basically if you pick it up and have an agenda you want to read you'll find them. If you can read it as impartial is best.

One thing I started doing not too long ago was ordering old editions of Ring Magazine. I have a few from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Great stuff if you want to read stories about fighters and events that have long since been forgotten.
Where do you order them? Amazon?

I refused to see it, because before I did I found out...
There was a scene where he fought Joey Giardello and lost due to "suggested" racism. Why have that in the movie?
Thing is, Joey beat him about the head and neck all night and that's why he won that bout. He did sue and settled for a large sum of money.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Giardello

There was a scene where he fought Joey Giardello and lost due to "suggested" racism. Why have that in the movie?
Thing is, Joey beat him about the head and neck all night and that's why he won that bout. He did sue and settled for a large sum of money.
Cmon, movies take artistic license all the time. Sometimes it's in the service of a larger truth, which in this case is that black fighters back in the day endured a lot of racism. May not have been true in Joey Giardellos case, which sucks for him. But choosing not to watch a movie because it isn't 100% accurate seems silly.

- Ghosts of Manilia
- The Fight
- Anything by A.J. Liebling about boxing (really really good writer)
- The Fearless Harry Greb
- Four Kings
- Cinderella Man
- The Manly Art
- A Flame of Pure Fire
- The Fighting Marine

The movie was teerible. They hates that bit about Giardello and the supposed racism to make the character of Hurricane Carter and underdog, which is veey typical in autobiographical pieces - they need to have an "against all odds" climate. In truth Carter was an off and on criminal and was never high enough in skill level to belong at the highest of ranks in boxing. Real fun to watch though.

- Ghosts of Manilia
- The Fight
- Anything by A.J. Liebling about boxing (really really good writer)
- The Fearless Harry Greb
- Four Kings
- Cinderella Man
- The Manly Art
- A Flame of Pure Fire
- The Fighting Marine

Nice list.....Unforgivable Blackness is another good one about one of the old timers

Four Kings is a must as others have already said.

Floyd Patterson- The fighting life of Boxing's invisible champion by W.K.Stratton

The Big If by Rick Broadbent is also an interesting read about the life and fighting death of Johnny Owens

I'd say, the Carl Froch autobiography, because the guy took the time to sign it for me haha
(Now if I ever find the time to actually read the damn thing...)

Back