Best boxer in MMA

Matt505

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Who is the best boxer to enter MMA?

You don't see too many boxers make a good transition into mma other than Marcus Davis but many kickboxers have good transitions why is that?

I think if a top boxer learned some grappling and Thai Boxing he would be a animal.

Prepare for flaming.

Mark Hominick does ok standing.

I dont know why you think boxers dont make good transitions because almost all of them that were remotely decent have had much more success in MMA than in boxing. For example, Chris Lytle, Marcus Davis, Alessio Sakara and Marcus Hicks. All of whom were relatively average boxers who have been involved in big fights for the best MMA orgs in the world.

Right now, there is so much money in boxing that you're likely not going to get a good-elite boxer make the crossover. Because it just wouldnt make sense.

That guy who beat Liddel was doing a good job boxing and then landed a devastating over hand right that would have made Hearns proud. No surprise he is from Michigan.

That guy who beat Liddel was doing a good job boxing and then landed a devastating over hand right that would have made Hearns proud. No surprise he is from Michigan.

Liddell is a scam.

He does most of hes stand with Mike Winkeljohn whos a former kickboxer but i think hes had a couple boxing fights as well but id consider that to be kickboxing.

He does most of hes stand with Mike Winkeljohn whos a former kickboxer but i think hes had a couple boxing fights as well but id consider that to be kickboxing.

Looked like he was moving around keeping Liddel off with a jab to me, but I admit I had been drinking that night.

I say BJ Penn with his jab against short stuff. I don't watch too much MMA anymore so I can't really give you many names. But both Rampage and Rashad Evans have fair hands. Nothing spectacular at all. They took advanage of Chuck's overrated and horrible form striking.

You don't see too many boxers make a good transition into mma other than Marcus Davis but many kickboxers have good transitions why is that?
Before Kabuki dumps this:
It's not about a "good transition into MMA."
It's the fact that no elite boxer in his prime has ever competed in MMA because there's no money in it.
3 million dollar paydays up to 20 million per fight at the top in Boxing compared to 70 thousand dollars or so in the UFC.

I think if a top boxer learned some grappling and Thai Boxing he would be a animal.
I think elite Boxers would be MMA champions with some intensive grappling training.
Currently, most MMA fighters boxing skills are pretty bad.
Sloppy footwork, wild telegraphed haymakers, hockey fight scenarios, no head movement, looped shots, Superman punches, etc.
St. Pierre, BJ Penn, KJ Noons are a few that stand out as having decent Boxing skills, but even they couldn't succeed in Boxing or they'd be there already for the big paydays.

Elite boxers get to the top out of a talent pool of about about 70 thousand participants.
MMA fighters talent pool is probably 6 or 7 thousand participants.

The elite combat athletes compete where the real money is.
That's why MMA is comprised of primarily world-class grapplers but no world-class strikers.
Lesser athletes who can't compete for the big Boxing money are currently MMA champions with top grappling and half-arsed Boxing skills.

It'll happen when the paydays get competitive with Boxing paydays.
I look forward to it.
World-class strikers in MMA. It's coming.

EDIT: After Kid McCoy, the great edumacater.

This top Boxer here is a big fan of MMA and says he may eventually compete:

davidhayemar82008lb9.jpg

6'3". about 220 lbs. 28 years old.
Hands unlike anything seen in MMA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS1TO8nEaB8

He already has a grappling background:

----EXCERPT FROM IRONLIFE---
"You mentioned Chuck Liddell just before and I

Jesus. Why is everytime someone post a picture of David Haye, it has to be this one. Sportin' the V-line and everything. Damn R-Kelly looking motha fucker...

*I like David Haye as a fighter and to have a really good athlete with good boxing ability would be interesting for MMA.

Would you like me to post a picture of Arreola or Sam Peter or James Toney or John Ruiz or any of the other current flabby top Heavyweights with fat t!t$ bouncin' around on the tv?

A top fighter ought to look the part and ought to be in condition.

Like Larry Merchant said to Tim Witherspoon when Witherspoon said he was comfortable with his weight.
If you want comfort, go to the beach, this is a fight and you owe it to the fans to be in shape.

Throw in Cintron too, could you imagine the KO highlight reel he would produce?...good gawd have mercy.

I don't like Cintron's mental make up. He might just fold when someone is trying to ground and pound his arse.

And Bradster... I am talking about THAT photo and not the poor appearance of other heavyweight comparability crap. Pick a different David Haye Photo.

Nick Diaz just look at bradlee's Sig :icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_chee LOL

For some reason, I find it very satisfying to see how the evolution of MMA has led it back to being basically Boxing matches.

Any one else see this?
Plenty of current MMA fights are basically sloppy, amateurish-looking Boxing matches...almost like Toughman contests though the participants are in way better condition than Toughmen participants.

These diehard MMA-only loyalists especially like to rag on Boxing, but their favorite fights that get them on the edge of their seats are the sloppy slugfests that are basically Boxing matches. Many outright boo when the guys are on the ground too much working for submissions, and even the referees appear to be quite anxious to stand the guys back up quick...almost like there's an agenda from higher up about keeping the action on overdrive with strikes. They even pay bonuses for KO of the night to encourage the standup.

I don't live in the UK. I am quite sure Hayemaker is big over there, but not how big. And do people find him arrogant and cocky? OVER THERE!!!

*Somewhere over the rainbow...

Back