Best books on strength & conditioning

spiderguarda

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
what are the best books on strength and conditioning?
I was thinking about books like:
Verkhoshansky’s Special Strength Training Manual for Coaches

NSCA's Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning

Zartsiorsky's Science and Practice of Strength Training ( strength only)

I'm interested in both strength and conditioning for grappling and striking arts.

Thanks.

what are the best books on strength and conditioning?
I was thinking about books like:
Verkhoshansky’s Special Strength Training Manual for Coaches

NSCA's Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning

Zartsiorsky's Science and Practice of Strength Training ( strength only)

I'm interested in both strength and conditioning for grappling and striking arts.

Thanks.

Supertraining by Mel Siff

Ultimate MMA Conditioning by Joel Jamieson

Infinite Intensity by Ross Enamait

I started lifting in 1990 and I've read a lot of books in that time. The odd thing is that I keep coming back to the way I was taught by my uncle when I first began. Of course I have picked up some really good things from many different places and I have added them in to improve what he taught me, but the basic methods I always come back to. I have fun training this way and it gives me flexibility to shift and change things when need be without it being any problem at all.

When thinking from the martial artist point of view, I wouldn't over look McRoberts books Brawn and Beyond Brawn. I know that his writing isn't loaded with science and MMA trainers, but man as far as strength training goes, its applicable. Low frequency, low volume, intensity cycling, with a focus on slow progression.

If you stick to those books and add in an exercise physiology book, you will never have to read another book again.

Most of the things put out now, will be based on those books. Add in research papers to stay up to date with trends and for specific demographics, methods and types of exercise.

If you stick to those books and add in an exercise physiology book, you will never have to read another book again.

Most of the things put out now, will be based on those books. Add in research papers to stay up to date with trends and for specific demographics, methods and types of exercise.

I find quite a number of books have the same or similar table of contents of the NSCA book on Amazon. Pretty surprising. What exercise physiology books do you recommend?

Essentials of Exercise Physiology
Biochemistry for Exercise and Sport (biochem)

Back