Best BJJ school in the world?

With so many great gyms out there and so much flexibility/funds of the TS and huge committment to getting good, would the best thing to go on a "BJJ tour" for a few months to different gyms around the world, and find the one that fits him best? Everybody has a different learning style and there may be one gym out there that "clicks" better for him?

Unfortunately, Birmingham really IS a complete shithole

Possibly a few decades ago. Quite nice now: I lived there for a few years, and would happily go back and live there again. Lots of gorgeous bits too, like Lickey Hills and Bournville. The Bullring has been swished up and there are some pleasant stretches of canal, like the bit by The Mailbox (went to eat around there many times, great view).

Hey man, can you expand a little on your experience there? I was considering going there to train for a few weeks... How are the gi/no-gi classes? Does Marcelo teach a lot?

Just talk about how it was in general if you could, I'm really interested in that place. Thanks.

Totally relaxed atmosphere. Unfortunately, Marcelo was in Brazil when I was there. Batista (sp?) was there though. He's a monster.

The other two black belts, Henrique and Paul were wonderful. My gis were at the cleaners and I went to the no-gi class. Paul offered me his gi to train again in the morning. Keep in mind, I know absolutely no one there. They all are super-friendly and super-passionate about jiu-jitsu.

Other students told me Marcelo teaches a lot of the advanced classes. Henrique taught my no-gi class and he is a great teacher.

It's a great facility, mats cover practically every inch of the place.

We started with basic warm-ups and then graduated to some fun warm-up stuff. Bear crawl races, that sort of thing.

We did a chain technique from half butterfly. With variations thrown in as we went. Then we rolled timed rounds.

one more thing... they played Wu-Tang Clan during warm-ups and rolling. Loved it!

Anywhere in LA county you probably can't go wrong. Best guys in the world (with some minor excepts) live in this area of the US

If you want to seriously dedicate your life to BJJ, I'd say hit up Atos headquarters. Those guys train all day, everyday to become world champs. What better way to become a world champ than by surrounding yourself with world champs?

If you want to seriously dedicate your life to BJJ, I'd say hit up Atos headquarters. Those guys train all day, everyday to become world champs. What better way to become a world champ than by surrounding yourself with world champs?

You mean Atos in Rio Claro? Has ANYONE got any info on this place? Like a website with timetable/location/fees etc? I've tried looking online for info and can't find anything whatsoever.

Also, any1 know anything about A.S.L.E. in Manaus? Is it still going? It sounds like a fcking awesome place to train, but again I can't find any info on it whatsoever... Help on both would be greatly appreciated.

Possibly a few decades ago. Quite nice now: I lived there for a few years, and would happily go back and live there again. Lots of gorgeous bits too, like Lickey Hills and Bournville. The Bullring has been swished up and there are some pleasant stretches of canal, like the bit by The Mailbox (went to eat around there many times, great view).

Fair enough. My heart is telling me to disagree vehemently, but considering your posts and BJJ map helped me find a school and get started in BJJ, I'll just concede haha

It's very possible you're right, I just remember visiting it a few years ago and it was smog-city. Bristol, on the other hand, is an amazing place, are there any decent gyms there?

but considering your posts and BJJ map helped me find a school and get started in BJJ, I'll just concede haha

Heh - glad to be of help!

Bristol, on the other hand, is an amazing place, are there any decent gyms there?

In terms of BJJ, I think it's just Pedro Bessa and Gracie Barra. Fair bit of MMA around too, like Kevin O'Hagan's place, Paul Reed at Olympians, Trojan Free Fighters etc.

Fair enough. My heart is telling me to disagree vehemently, but considering your posts and BJJ map helped me find a school and get started in BJJ, I'll just concede haha

It's very possible you're right, I just remember visiting it a few years ago and it was smog-city. Bristol, on the other hand, is an amazing place, are there any decent gyms there?

I live in one of the rougher areas of Birmingham and it's a shithole depending on what mood you're in, and not really worse than a lot of other UK cities I've lived in. Atleast it's cheap and a shithole with good amenities, rather than just a barren dump (ie. lots of places in Kent, Essex, the NW).

The worst part is the heinous accent and lack of remotely attractive women.

At least it's cheap and a shithole with good amenities, rather than just a barren dump (ie. lots of places in Kent, Essex, the NW).

Yeah, the central location is very handy, with good train connections both in and around the Birmingham area as well as to the rest of the country. The airport isn't too bad for that either (or at least it wasn't for the places I went). My gf used to complain that it was a bit far from the coast, given it's in the middle of the country, but she was pretty happy with Birmingham otherwise (I prefer museums and art galleries to beaches, so distance from the sea didn't bother me).

Most importantly, as mentioned, it has one of the best grapplers in the world teaching there. Braulio's place is great: I've trained all over the country, and I would rate two of his instructors (Rob Stevens and Kevin Webb, who also have a school in Nuneaton) as two of the very best BJJ teachers in the UK.

The worst part is the heinous accent

Heh - I always thought the Brummie accent was quite friendly. Certainly no worse than the Bristol accent (which can also sound quite friendly, unless it's the kind of parody you get in Little Britain or something like that).

I'm not a fan of heavy metal, but if you are, then there are loads of influential bands that came from Birmingham, Black Sabbath being the most obvious. Which is another handy example of the Brummie accent, if you watch an interview with any of the members. Although perhaps I was innoculated against disliking the Brummie accent at a young age, as I used to watch this over and over as a child. :)

Unfortunately Roger Gracie is virtually never there.

I address this a lot, but this isn't really true. Is he teaching every single class, no. But it's not like he's chilling at home, and then phones up to ask people how the classes are going. He's around a lot. When he has a big fight coming up, he goes away for a little while, but on the flipside, we get guys like GSP, Braulio and Victor coming down to train, as well as having Lagarto around and teaching the majority of the classes, who already beat Buchecha, Xande, Lovato and Jose Junior this year.

Not angry or anything, but just setting the record straight.

Sorry! ^_^

From my experience- Best of the Best BTT in Lagoa- brutal training if you want it, if not just tourist... :p

Would love to train at the original Carlson Gracie gym in Rio. Love that old school, takedown, smash and pass style.

Southern California, best BJJ gyms, best weather, best looking girls.

Watch out for shitty traffic though.

Back