Best BJJ kimono

hey guys, awesome thread thus far. I'm a judo guy but i'm thinking bout picking up a bjj gi, i was deliberating between the SSF comp gi (heavyweight) or the Sirius gi. Anybody have insight as to which one would be better suited for me. Hell; i'm gonna be switching over to BJJ for a while as well.

I'm still on the fence, somebody help out. Thanks all :D

beatdownvictim said:
hey guys, awesome thread thus far. I'm a judo guy but i'm thinking bout picking up a bjj gi, i was deliberating between the SSF comp gi (heavyweight) or the Sirius gi. Anybody have insight as to which one would be better suited for me. Hell; i'm gonna be switching over to BJJ for a while as well.

I'm still on the fence, somebody help out. Thanks all :D

Honestly, alot of people are making nice gis right now. Just buy the one you like the looks of the best and fits into your budget. Its really hard to loose.

The GB gi that kid linked doesn't seem to be an atama based on the size chart and pics. Personally I'm not a fan of the Atama GB gi's. The patchwork looks awkward compared to the MKimonos version and even the Keiko Raca one. And I've witnessed a GB Atama gi rip twice already (I did the ripping myself on those gi's :D)

The above link to the GB gi is made by GB - not Atama. I did hear of some black GB atama gis ripping because of a problem with the dye that has since been corrected.

I am have narrowed my Gi search down to the Atama Gracie Barra Single Weave (budovideos.com), Atama Gold Mundial (no seam in the back), Koral Classic, or Koral MKM. Out of these choices, which is light to train in (easy to move in and not hot to wear), reasonably sturdy, and (soft on the inside) comfortable to wear. I am more concerned with getting a gi that fits my criteria than price, so please do not comment on price. Are there other factors I should consider or know about these gi's? Please let me know the pro's and the cons of each.

My friend has the Atama Single Weave Gracie Barra and it's very rough on the inside and scratches his back, do most gi's do this?

Also, how noticeable is the weight difference between a single weave and gold weave?

Thanks!

kid dynamite said:
mkimono version anything was the best always

Mkimonos are pretty sweet. I am eyeing a blue hybrid as soon as they get them back in stock.

Mister Nitro said:
Mkimonos are pretty sweet. I am eyeing a blue hybrid as soon as they get them back in stock.

i just got my hybrid this week, it's nice and as light a s a vulkan

How do the mkimonos run? I'm 5'9/170 and I'm planning on going with an A3
A1 5'1"-5'6" 110-136
A2 5'6"-5'9" 136-161
A3 5'9"-6'1" 161-187
A4 6'1"-6'5" 187-209

kid dynamite said:
i just got my hybrid this week, it's nice and as light a s a vulkan

Is it competition legal like a Vulkan? Ooooooh, gotcha there.

kid dynamite said:
yes it is!:icon_chee

Source please!

btw, I think the Vulkan was the most prevalent gi at this years panams...not bad for a single model line of kimonos...theres only one Vulkan model, no single, double or hybrid weave bs, just one all around superior weave with a rubber collar.

I got my Vullkan summer gi yesterday. I've only used my Atama Gold Weave prior. At first I was freaking out cause the gi looked HUGE when i initially tried it on...i'm talking made for a dude 50 pounds heavier than me! I washed it in hot water and put it in the dryer and thankfully it fits good now. Compared to my Atama, it's alot more comfy and definitely alot lighter. I went to class w/the Vulkan and it seems great to roll around in. It'll be hard rotating back to the Atama during the summertime when it gets really hot in my gym. I'd definitely get another Vulkan.

blanko said:
the problem with the vulkan is that their pants rip...

Dont use them for training, use them for comps then. Get some hck or atama pants, its all about the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back