Best BJJ instructional DVDs?

Roy Dean's Blue Belt Requirements
Any Michael Jens DVD's
Saulo Ribeiro Jiu-Jitsu Revolution 1 & 2
Demian Maia Science of BJJ 1 & 2
John Will and David Meyer's The Masterclass Grappling Curriculum
Stephan Kesting's The "Roadmap for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

I own them all, but if I were to choose just one, it would be a toss up between Roy Dean's Blue Belt Requirements and John Will and David Meyer's The Masterclass Grappling Curriculum. I found with both of these sets I was not falling asleep from the dialogue, but the instructor(s) spoke enough to give detail into each technique versus just showing a bunch of techniques.

This guy knows his stuff. All of these DVDs are ingots of gold. Probably my favourite teachers in the game are these guys. Their teaching strategy makes practical learning easy regardless of your learning style or rate.

I would definitely start with Blue belt requirements, that dvd covers everything.

is it still useful when you have been training for about 8 months? where is the threshold for roy dean's blue belt requirements? i've heard he covers really basic techniques...

is it still useful when you have been training for about 8 months? where is the threshold for roy dean's blue belt requirements? i've heard he covers really basic techniques...

I've been training about a year and I just got this DVD because he covers really basic techniques.

MGinAction! It's a must.

Anything from Ryan Hall. I just got the Abmar Barbosa DVD, it's advanced. There are techniques on his set I've never seen before. That says a lot. I collect BJJ instructionals.

Robson Moura, Demian Maia and Caio Terra. And, what the others have recommended.

I sold a bluray of a mginaction site rip for 5$ to my teammate once, I felt like an asshole though lmao

It really depends on what your school is like and how often you go to class. If you go to a school that is really focused on basics and good technique and you go to several classes a week, there's a chance that you may know most or all of what's on his DVD in terms of techniques. If your school doesn't stress technique or you don't make it to class regularly, then the DVD set probably has more than a few things you can learn.

As a side note, sometimes you get taught a technique numerous times, but it doesn't stick or make sense. But then you see someone teach the same technique but explain it a little bit differently and all of a sudden, you can do it where you couldn't before. So even though a DVD or book or video might go over a technique that you already know, it doesn't hurt to check it out because it may be more beneficial than you expect.

thought this thread could use a bump to see if anyone had any updated recommendations

I got the roy dean blue belt requirements and saolo ribiero bjj revolution 1 and 2, really wish i had roy deans dvd and played it on loop while i was a white belt, all you really need

now at early blue, i feel like im watching it trying to fill any holes i have, ive only been through saolos first volume, mustve watched whole thing 5-6 times by now but its so dense, you learn something new with each rewatch

holiday season is coming up so im looking to get roy deans no gi essentials and saolo ribs freestyle revolution, but this thread has me interested in the maia cds, still a good starter dvd?

thought this thread could use a bump to see if anyone had any updated recommendations

I got the roy dean blue belt requirements and saolo ribiero bjj revolution 1 and 2, really wish i had roy deans dvd and played it on loop while i was a white belt, all you really need

now at early blue, i feel like im watching it trying to fill any holes i have, ive only been through saolos first volume, mustve watched whole thing 5-6 times by now but its so dense, you learn something new with each rewatch

holiday season is coming up so im looking to get roy deans no gi essentials and saolo ribs freestyle revolution, but this thread has me interested in the maia cds, still a good starter dvd?
Haven't purchased any bjj dvds but I do have saulo riberios book jiu jitsu university

I'm thinking of getting ryan hall's dvd on triangles ( my favorite move) have you seen it

Haven't purchased any bjj dvds but I do have saulo riberios book jiu jitsu university

I'm thinking of getting ryan hall's dvd on triangles ( my favorite move) have you seen it

yea i heard his stuff is real good, think he has a half guard and 50/50 that are real good as well

also wanted to check out a decent leglock dvd series, the best ive heard so far are stephan kesting, reilly bodycomb, but i think i need to do more research

yea i heard his stuff is real good, think he has a half guard and 50/50 that are real good as well

also wanted to check out a decent leglock dvd series, the best ive heard so far are stephan kesting, reilly bodycomb, but i think i need to do more research
Yeah I think ryan released about 10-12 dvds and all are supposed to be pretty good I'm a 3 stripe white belt though so I'm not looking for anything to advanced or to learn a new move strictly from a video I'd rather dig deeper into more angles/ positioning of moves I'm somewhat proficient in

Eddie bravo had a legwork dvd I think you might want to check out

Yeah I think ryan released about 10-12 dvds and all are supposed to be pretty good I'm a 3 stripe white belt though so I'm not looking for anything to advanced or to learn a new move strictly from a video I'd rather dig deeper into more angles/ positioning of moves I'm somewhat proficient in

Eddie bravo had a legwork dvd I think you might want to check out

i heard damian maia's stuff would help with exactly what you are looking for, or at least what was said earlier in this thread

but roy deans blue belt reqs is perfect for all white belts, if i had a time machine i would stick to that set for my first year, all the basics u need

im trying not to spread myself too thin with too many resources, just study a few at a time and build of that

Defi
i heard damian maia's stuff would help with exactly what you are looking for, or at least what was said earlier in this thread

but roy deans blue belt reqs is perfect for all white belts, if i had a time machine i would stick to that set for my first year, all the basics u need

im trying not to spread myself too thin with too many resources, just study a few at a time and build of that
definetly gonna check it out but I prefer books as its much easier to reread and more handy than a DVD and I can easily bookmark certain areas.

What's your experience level?

Defi
definetly gonna check it out but I prefer books as its much easier to reread and more handy than a DVD and I can easily bookmark certain areas.

What's your experience level?

blue belt, comin up on 2 years this january

Oh nice I'd like to tweak certain moves that I consider "my game" and enter a few tournaments as a white belt have you competed?

I train at gracie jiu jitsu affiliate not a big emphasis on competition or competition style bjj

ryan hall's dvd's are the best. I never used to hit triangles, now it's my best move from everywhere thanks ryan!

-Ryan Hall: Passing / Deep Half / Arm Triangles. All of the other ones are worth watching at least once, but these stand out.

-Paul Schreiner: Pressure Passing.

-Rob Biernacki/Kesting: Guard Guard. Very conceptual. I actually prefer this over Ryan Hall's--more concise.

-Elliot Bayev(sp?)/Kesting: Spider Guard Master Class. Completely reshaped my open-guard, not just your classic spider guard.

I also really enjoyed Artechoke media's situp escape and crucifix instructionals--really great format.

Dont waste your money on those. If you are just starting you need a great foundation. Either go with Saulo which is awesome or go gravieuniversity.com
Or else your jiu jitsu will never start with the basics. Without the basics your jiu jitsu will suck. Both f these let you build as you get better

Anyone got a copy of deans blue belt that they would sell me for fairly cheap?Paypal.

Back