Best BJJ instructional DVDs?

Tylerlikesmma

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Absolute beginner here.. I like to roll with my friends & I know very basic aspects but I'm intrested in buying a video that will help me learn a bit more. my work hours prevent me from being able to attend a real BJJ class :mad:

any help? thanks in advance

Absolute beginner here.. I like to roll with my friends & I know very basic aspects but I'm intrested in buying a video that will help me learn a bit more. my work hours prevent me from being able to attend a real BJJ class :mad:

Saulo Ribeiro and Demian Maia. Cobrinha is sick as well.

I have the Saulo Ribeiro JJ Revolution. It's super good but for the absolute beginner... I don't think it even covers things like shrimping and arm bar from guard, etc. I'd recommend it to anyone with even a few months of training though.

With that said, it's hard to recommend an instructional for a COMPLETE beginner. You're better off spending time in a gym.

A good gym will have morning, noon and evening and several weekend classes.

While there are lots of great videos out there, none of them will even come close to replacing even one class a week.

If you still can not find a class, and insist on a video, Roy Dean's Blue Belt Requirements is one of the better Beginner ones. Add Saulo's JJ Revolution and Maia's Science of BJJ to that list as well.

IMHO, Cobrinha's is not for a beginner, but maybe thats just me.

I personally, would never pay money for a Simco DVD. I have seen a few, and did not like the instruction, but that could be just my opinion.

roy dean blue belt requirements

end thread for sure

A good gym will have morning, noon and evening and several weekend classes.

While there are lots of great videos out there, none of them will even come close to replacing even one class a week.

If you still can not find a class, and insist on a video, Roy Dean's Blue Belt Requirements is one of the better Beginner ones. Add Saulo's JJ Revolution and Maia's Science of BJJ to that list as well.

IMHO, Cobrinha's is not for a beginner, but maybe thats just me.

I personally, would never pay money for a Simco DVD. I have seen a few, and did not like the instruction, but that could be just my opinion.

well I live in AL & the only place to train in my town is at a Karate dojo that has BJJ classes when I'm at work

sucks

For a beginner, there would be no better DVD than the old basics of gracie jiu jitsu series. Super old, but there is nothing that you should be learning at this point that isn't in those dvd's. The more advances stuff will do nothing for you at this point.

Cesar Gracie is very, very , very good for a beginner.

Forget Simco.

For beginners, I recommend Gustavo Machado's "Great Escapes & Defenses". He shows some very solid counters to most of the more common BJJ attacks. I think this is particularly useful for beginners, because you will likely spend most of your time trying to survive and defend in the beginning, rather than set up fancy attacking combinations. Saulo's DVD's are always solid too. Also, any of Stephan Kestings stuff is good. You might want to look into his beginner's course. Cobrinha is great, but definitely not for beginners.

Roy Dean's Blue Belt Requirements
Any Michael Jens DVD's
Saulo Ribeiro Jiu-Jitsu Revolution 1 & 2
Demian Maia Science of BJJ 1 & 2
John Will and David Meyer's The Masterclass Grappling Curriculum
Stephan Kesting's The "Roadmap for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

I own them all, but if I were to choose just one, it would be a toss up between Roy Dean's Blue Belt Requirements and John Will and David Meyer's The Masterclass Grappling Curriculum. I found with both of these sets I was not falling asleep from the dialogue, but the instructor(s) spoke enough to give detail into each technique versus just showing a bunch of techniques.

For beginners, I recommend Gustavo Machado's "Great Escapes & Defenses". He shows some very solid counters to most of the more common BJJ attacks. I think this is particularly useful for beginners, because you will likely spend most of your time trying to survive and defend in the beginning, rather than set up fancy attacking combinations. Saulo's DVD's are always solid too. Also, any of Stephan Kestings stuff is good. You might want to look into his beginner's course. Cobrinha is great, but definitely not for beginners.

No man.... Gustavo is not good for a beginner at all in my opinion.

For a lot of the escapes you already need good jiu jitsu movements. And to focus on escaping subs is completely the wrong mindset for a beginner.

Learn about position and what to do and not to do in a position. Learn the principles, learn a few moves. Learn POSITIONAL escapes. That's it.

Gustavo has almost 50 (!) sub escapes that is WAY over any whitebelts head.

Even if he gets good at all of them (which he won't), he will have fixed the problem at the wrong end (avoid getting into the sub position in the first place!).

So no, no, no....

I agree that Cobrinha is way too advanced.

I would second Roy Dean Blue Belt Requirements DVD.

An excellent resource.

Definitely Noob Friendly:
Cesar Gracie
Roy Dean
Stephan Kesting Roadmap for BJJ (I don't have the DVD but the pdf and footage i've seen looks promising)
Saulo's BOOK (I don't know how good his DVDs are)

Somewhat Noob Friendly
Matt Thornton (does a good job of helping you make sense of the technique but they don't go into much detail about individual techniques)
Marcelo Series I (Half of it is beginner friendly, other half arguably isn't)
Baret Yoshida
Draculino DVD

Good but NOT Noob friendly
ANYTHING Eddie Bravo
Cobrinha (from what I heard...)
Marcelo Series III/IV

AVOID
Gene Simco
Old Rorion Tapes (there's a remake called "Gracie Combatives" which came out which seems way better, on top of that, their "guard pass" will lead you to being triangled)
Submissions 101 (You could just watch it online...and even that will give you a few bad habits)

If you have never attended a BJJ class in your life, I'd try the old "Gracie basic's" tapes/dvd's, they are cheap on ebay. They show the majority of the principle's of BJJ and self defense.

IMO the majority of recommendations in this thread are by/for sport BJJ players to fight against sport players, which is fine but your friends aren't going to do what a trained guy would do.

Roy Dean's BJJ Blue Belt Requirements is excellent. Roy Dean is also a Kodokan Judo black belt. Highly recommend this 2-disc DVD set .

Back