Best big Asian fighter ever?

Saluraba and it’s not even close.

I'ts close even
His legacy is above everyone else no doubt but who is the best fighter may not be the same. It's arguable that Saku in his best shape would be more competitive with modern 170-185lbers than Okami or Dong Kim. I still see him as the best but it's certainly arguable

Last edited:
I did and liked his fights but I also watched him get his ass beat by journeymen and cans too. He had heart and some skill but a ways to go for elite status.

Would like you to say who are those journeyman and cans kicking Nakamura's ass.
Even Sakuraba has losses against lower level competition, as Kondo, Gono or pretty much anyone you could bring to this discussion. But not many beat Vovchanchyn, Bustamante or Randleman. Even losing its not like you can think of many asians who give Nogueira a tougher fight

The judges love the Dong.

Hidehiko Yoshida doesn't get as much credit as he should. I came into MMA after a long judo career, and despite being out of his prime actually had some pretty good results. He put up some damn good fights against Wanderlei as well.

Out of a dozen Japanese fighters, Yoshida was the only one who could hang with prime Wandy.

cung le in his prime would destroy everyone on your list and would of been championship material had he started mma younger

280full.jpg

IDIOTS six pages and not a mention of yoshida
sBEeeAX.jpg
nratRZV.gif

he wasn't a huge guy but fought at lhw and hw, and his record doesn't quite tell the story of fights he had with guys like wand

cung le in his prime would destroy everyone on your list and would of been championship material had he started mma younger

280full.jpg

He could be championship material had he started mma earlier. But we don't know. Not sure what do you mean by Cung Le in his prime. We only saw Le in his late 30's and his best wins are old fighters in their way out. I dont think he would destroy the guys listed in the OP but good call anyways, Cung is one of the best big asian fighters we have seen.

Sakuraba
Okami
Misaki
Dong Kim
Kaz Nakamura

That's my top 5 special mention to Kondo. Although it's hard to say, if they did a tournament with all them in their best shape, I would probably pick Okami to win

Its really strange that not one single 170-205lber from Japan or Korea has emerged in the last decade who can even remotely be in the discussion against the aforementioned
Depends how you define "big", but you'd have to include Tamura and Kohsaka on the list.

IDIOTS six pages and not a mention of yoshida
sBEeeAX.jpg
nratRZV.gif

he wasn't a huge guy but fought at lhw and hw, and his record doesn't quite tell the story of fights he had with guys like wand

I think he was already mentioned. Personally I think Nakamura was a more complete fighter, the way he went to trade punches in the pocket with Wanderlei can be more impressive even in the loss than laying in top of him without doing any damage but anyways, Yoshida definitely deserves mentions in this thread.

Well Nakamura or Kim certainly didnt get such mob for them. Neither did Misaki and if you are suggesting Saku's legacy is a fraud I could see some suspision about it but certainly doenst change the fact that Saku was one of the most admired, respected and feared man by the pro fighters community around the world
Don't bother arguing with RBR, the guy has his shtick "Japan corrupt and fake" and that's it. Probably he doesn't even know that Okami is a product of the pre-PRIDE 4 tournament, and therefore tainted by his logic.

Depends on your definition of 'Asian'.

Robbie Lawler, Bendo, BJ & Machida if we're talking Asian heritage.

In terms of guys born in Asia, Sakuraba - and then honourable mentions for Misaki and Gono are who come to mind off the top of my head.
I believe Asian like an Asian born and live in Asia, not Asian Americans/ Asian Canadians/ Asian Australians/ Asian New Zealanders/ Asian Brazilians like Bendo, Machida, Lawler or Penn.

But Asians like Sakuraba, Sexyama, Gomi, Samurai, Misaki, Kawajiri, Nakamura and Yoshida.

Saku is the GOAT
Funaki the pioneer
Kiyoshi Tamura, Yuki Kondo and Gono were the most badass
Okami the most complete
Fujita my pick to beat them all at openweight

Back