bernardo's passing dvd

mcgoatp4p#1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
so I'm a blue belt (a bad one), and I'm really keen on pressure passing, especially the over/under. i'm thinking about investing in bernardo faria's pressure passing dvd and trying to model my entire passing game after him. i only question if this is the right thing to do because my coaches and training partners always tell me i should learn some more diverse passes, and i might be wrong about this but it seems like bernardo faria basically just uses the over/under and double for every position.

so my question is, is it worth trying to model my passing game after him at blue belt, or should i try branch out and go for passes i'm not used to?

How much do you weigh?

Also do you play half/deep half a lot?

You are going to have to work hard to get to the over/under after you sweep from slx/xguard.

Explore what you like or what interests you during open mat. You will have time to see if it works for you. If not you can then move on to another style of passing. If you are interested in pressure passing Paul Schreiner has a good pressure passing DVD.

You are going to have to work hard to get to the over/under after you sweep from slx/xguard.

That's what I experienced also

I love to watch Bernardo and I always wanted to do what he does but xguard, butterfly and slx sweeps put you high postured in the knee shield/z guard. Then you have to go all the way backward to get double unders or to enter overunders. With all the good kneeshield guys out there you need more than one pass.

Deephalf sweeps are just putting you at the perfect place for the overunder pass. It's also easy to setup against the butterfly and other open guards or just after breaking closed guard.

Personnally I do it right after the basic deephalf sweep or when I'm able to get my butt up in the air with some controll on the legs and I dive right back in it.

The other entries are a lot more complicated than they look when Bernardo does them

That's what I experienced also

I love to watch Bernardo and I always wanted to do what he does but xguard, butterfly and slx sweeps put you high postured in the knee shield/z guard. Then you have to go all the way backward to get double unders or to enter overunders. With all the good kneeshield guys out there you need more than one pass.

Deephalf sweeps are just putting you at the perfect place for the overunder pass. It's also easy to setup against the butterfly and other open guards or just after breaking closed guard.

Personnally I do it right after the basic deephalf sweep or when I'm able to get my butt up in the air with some controll on the legs and I dive right back in it.

The other entries are a lot more complicated than they look when Bernardo does them
I used to only pass standing and would end up tripoding a lot to finish the pass. Then my instructor suggested that I should go straight to over/under and I have been passing this way since. It helps that I am 6'1 190lbs. If I sweep and end up postured I disengage, stand up and grab one pant leg then, I then move out to get the angle, pin the leg to the floor and shoot in to over under. I have passed everyone's guard with this. It also helps that I try standing passes first so when I grab the leg they think I will try a torreada, leg drag or a throwby. So mix it up, keep them guessing.

I looove Paul Shreiners and the nearside underhook one by Sean Williams. Over under I still struggle with

I used to only pass standing and would end up tripoding a lot to finish the pass. Then my instructor suggested that I should go straight to over/under and I have been passing this way since. It helps that I am 6'1 190lbs. If I sweep and end up postured I disengage, stand up and grab one pant leg then, I then move out to get the angle, pin the leg to the floor and shoot in to over under. I have passed everyone's guard with this. It also helps that I try standing passes first so when I grab the leg they think I will try a torreada, leg drag or a throwby. So mix it up, keep them guessing.

I just started on using the standing passes, I'm pretty sure that diving for overunders will be a very good option when they kind of split to make it tough to go around the legs

So is the consensus I should focus solely on bernardo's passing style, and just see if it works for me? I can consistently hit the over under on blue belts all the time, but above that I'll usually get stuck and that's when they tell me I should try a different pass

So is the consensus I should focus solely on bernardo's passing style, and just see if it works for me? I can consistently hit the over under on blue belts all the time, but above that I'll usually get stuck and that's when they tell me I should try a different pass
It’s the classic conundrum when developing your own game at that level. You find techniques that you like or have a feel for but if your coach or teammates don’t know it they poo poo it. Just keep experimenting

Bernardo's DVD is good, and his passing style works pretty well for almost anyone. It will be harder when there's a huge weight disparity, but that's true of anything. If you like it it's a perfectly reasonable thing to work on getting good at, it's a style that works at high level.

Back