Beristain worried Chavez Jr. won’t stick to game plan

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Nacho Beristain, the well-respected trainer who will be guiding Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. through his clash with Canelo Alvarez, tells ESPN Deportes that he does have some worries about the upcoming fight, but his worries have nothing to do with Chavez Jr. making weight. Beristain is more concerned that Chavez Jr. might deviate from his game plan in a show of pride...

"My fear is that [Chavez Jr) is a boy of courage...and in a certain moment [he’ll leave the game plan behind]...he is thinking about going [right in] and hitting but we think differently, I would like to surprise him (Canelo) somehow with a different tactic and if we have to come forward, we’ll go.”

Beristain does not want his fighter to simply stand in front and trade shots with Canelo, so he’s been working with Chavez Jr. in camp on everything - offense, defense, new combinations, and power. And with this approach Beristain would like Chavez Jr. to take a page out of Erislandy Lara and Floyd Mayweather’s book in terms of fighting Canelo — something that seems as far-fetched as possible considering the style contrasts...

Nacho Beristain, the well-respected trainer who will be guiding Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. through his clash with Canelo Alvarez, tells ESPN Deportes that he does have some worries about the upcoming fight, but his worries have nothing to do with Chavez Jr. making weight. Beristain is more concerned that Chavez Jr. might deviate from his game plan in a show of pride...

"My fear is that [Chavez Jr) is a boy of courage...and in a certain moment [he’ll leave the game plan behind]...he is thinking about going [right in] and hitting but we think differently, I would like to surprise him (Canelo) somehow with a different tactic and if we have to come forward, we’ll go.”

Beristain does not want his fighter to simply stand in front and trade shots with Canelo, so he’s been working with Chavez Jr. in camp on everything - offense, defense, new combinations, and power. And with this approach Beristain would like Chavez Jr. to take a page out of Erislandy Lara and Floyd Mayweather’s book in terms of fighting Canelo — something that seems as far-fetched as possible considering the style contrasts...
I guess he should be worried. What are the chances Chavez can stick to boxing? If he doesn't stick to the plan it should be an exciting fight while it lasts.

All Junior has to do is fight like Mayweather and Lara.

Translation - I know Chavez is going to get his ass kicked so I'll make the excuse that he didn't follow the blueprint.

I guess he should be worried. What are the chances Chavez can stick to boxing? If he doesn't stick to the plan it should be an exciting fight while it lasts.
When has Junior ever showed any boxing ability? He's going to be stumbling all over himself if he tries to reinvent himself in his biggest fight yet.

You mean the game plan where chavez quickly morphs into a punching bag?

Some other quotes from the article:

"We need to make him lose his (control of) distance. A fighter that loses his distance sometimes doesn't know what to do. With the Cuban southpaw he was stumbling along, and with Mayweather, even worse. With other fighters too. He looks great when when they stand still. When an opponent throws and stays there. he (Canelo) is going to find him there, so he looks good, throws combinations and showboats. And in his corner, they feel like they have God."

"Because he can take punches and is brave, he (Chavez) stays in there, because his character dominates him, and I'd want to fight a different type of fight. If we're going to try to surprise him it will be with another type of fight and then a change halfway through. If it's necessary he'll test Canelo, but first we'll try something different than what Canelo has in his brains."

When has Junior ever showed any boxing ability? He's going to be stumbling all over himself if he tries to reinvent himself in his biggest fight yet.

Under Roach he was alright from time to time. The Rubio performance was a good example.

Under Roach he was alright from time to time. The Rubio performance was a good example.

Looks like the same forehead first, ignore your physical advantages version of Chavez we always saw. Rubio was nothing special.

Looks like the same forehead first, ignore your physical advantages version of Chavez we always saw. Rubio was nothing special.

Not at all, Chavez was using his jab fighting at a distance and at times even back-stepping early in the fight. Don't know how you could not see that.

Yeah but even in shape if he tries to make it an inside fight he's going to get chopped up. If he at least tries to use his height and reach he has a better chance. Granted it's still a small chance.

Yeah but even in shape if he tries to make it an inside fight he's going to get chopped up. If he at least tries to use his height and reach he has a better chance. Granted it's still a small chance.
Sounds like a Berto shoulder roll type situation to me.

Stick to his plan?

Hasn't his plan always been "cut a massive amount of weight and then show up in the ring three weighclasses heavier than the other guy."?

Might be a silly question, but why would you want to tell everybody that you will try something different this fight and even give details ?

Just read an article where joshua told what is his gameplan against klitchko ><". Is giving away your plan is common in boxing ?

Back